Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pound - AUD exchange rates

Pound - AUD exchange rates

Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pound - AUD exchange rates

We moved in September and got 2.10, 3 weeks later there was a very brief blip where it hit 2.5, then 2.7 for a few days.

Like moneypenny said earlier there's enough to stress about with the move, the exchange rate is what it is when you need to move the funds. If you decide to sit and wait you pay tax on the gain after 6 months (yes, thats only tax on the increase between when you move physically and when you move the money, but its still an increase in the gamble).

Personally, unless 60% of the difference between what you can get now and what you think you might get is going to make a massive difference I'd move it now. The rate is what it is, and 2.6 is going to be a rarity for a while - the UK economy is going to be fubared for some time.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:55 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NikiL
Like moneypenny said earlier there's enough to stress about with the move, the exchange rate is what it is when you need to move the funds.
Its far more stressfull working long hours, earning what you could have got for free if you had waited for the exchange rate to improve, i tell yeh, work versus waiting, there is no debate there my friend. On a £100k, waiting for 2.5:1 from the current level of 2:1 is $50k.

Originally Posted by NikiL
If you decide to sit and wait you pay tax on the gain after 6 months (yes, thats only tax on the increase between when you move physically and when you move the money, but its still an increase in the gamble).
What a load of tosh, complete and utter lies, no truth in that statement.

But just in case, just for comparison, i read another thread on here. What would you rather have, nothing, no money, no extra cash, or $50k minus say 20% tax on the forex gain, so $40k in you skyrocket?

I ask again nowt or $40k for waiting a while, answers on a dollar not!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
What a load of tosh, complete and utter lies, no truth in that statement.
What makes you say that? Do you have a link to somewhere on the ATO site that says you don't pay tax on foreign exchange gains?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:10 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louie
What makes you say that? Do you have a link to somewhere on the ATO site that says you don't pay tax on foreign exchange gains?
Give me a link to tell me its true?

Do your own research my friend, call up the ATO, see what thye say, but one thing, watch how you word it correctly.

If you put enough effort in, you find the answer young jedi!

Its a debate similar to Oz house prices, i could be on here all day and night, it just ain't worth the hassle.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Anyhows, 2 bucks to the pound makes the maths simple...and my wage looks healthier when you think in pounds.......
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be waiting for the exchange rate to go up. We now earn and live on Aussie dollars, so the sterling that is the UK has no bearing on us so we can afford to wait till the exchange rate goes up.

If it takes a year or 18 months or whatever we'll still wait till the minimum we want is reached. WIth the tax issue after a recent thread I've had a look into it and we'd still make more on the exchange than we'd pay in tax so well worth it in my opinion. Oh and meanwhile I'm earning interest on it in the UK as well
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
We'll be waiting for the exchange rate to go up. We now earn and live on Aussie dollars, so the sterling that is the UK has no bearing on us so we can afford to wait till the exchange rate goes up.

If it takes a year or 18 months or whatever we'll still wait till the minimum we want is reached. WIth the tax issue after a recent thread I've had a look into it and we'd still make more on the exchange than we'd pay in tax so well worth it in my opinion. Oh and meanwhile I'm earning interest on it in the UK as well
Nice one Louise, great outlook, do your research, minimise or numb any tax take! You have the attitude of a winner! Be happy!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a life please
Old Jul 31st 2009, 11:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by eugene43
Get a life please

Your name is EUGENE AND YOUR A

Desert Island me and you, no thanks Eugene, rock'n'roll!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by brendarover
Give me a link to tell me its true?

Do your own research my friend, call up the ATO, see what thye say, but one thing, watch how you word it correctly.

If you put enough effort in, you find the answer young jedi!

Its a debate similar to Oz house prices, i could be on here all day and night, it just ain't worth the hassle.
I assume if you do not 'watch how you word it correctly' you end up paying tax on foreign exchange gains?

Those with knowledge can often get around almost anything...

Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
For every person who gives you an opinion one way on this thread, you will get another who goes the other way though, so take it all with a pinch of salt.
If any of us were actually that good at predicting exchange rates we'd be a lot richer than we are.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by sr71
If any of us were actually that good at predicting exchange rates we'd be a lot richer than we are.
I second that if we all had crystal balls we would all be millionaires!!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by eugene43
Get a life please
I think you mean "Get an accountant......"
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Location: Oxfordshire, will be in Melb for 4 months at Christmas
JimHennington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Agree. There is nothing but evidence out there in the GBP/AUD relationship to continue to indicate the trend we have been seeing for the last 6 months. You could be waiting a loooonnnggg time before you even see 2.20 again.

For every person who gives you an opinion one way on this thread, you will get another who goes the other way though, so take it all with a pinch of salt.

Don't let your plans to emigrate be dominated by the current exchange rate and the endless agonising over what it is going to do...
I couldn't agree more. For every person who thinks it's going to go up, there is another person who thinks it'll fall further.

That is the nature of anything that's a market. The market price reflects the average opinion on what everyone thinks is fair! If it were ever "wrong", the very big boys would act on it before you or I would even know.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimHennington
I couldn't agree more. For every person who thinks it's going to go up, there is another person who thinks it'll fall further.

That is the nature of anything that's a market. The market price reflects the average opinion on what everyone thinks is fair! If it were ever "wrong", the very big boys would act on it before you or I would even know.
Well if i was a "hedger" comparing the UK pound , based on a financial sector, turn around .
With the Aust $ based on a Commodities ,turn around.............mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.