Pound = $ 1-64

Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:17 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pound = $ 1-64

Article on the Oz news today said that internet shopping in Oz had increased three-fold over last Christmas BUT that 70% was spent in Oz. I doubt that somehow.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DC10
Well it goes without saying that the UK is very, very lucky to have done its Euro-crashout in 1992 rather than having to contemplate it now.

Not sure exactly how the UK can emerge from the doldrums, though. I think they will be in for at least a lost decade (starting 2008), and the currency market reflects that. Britain has most of the negative charateristics which Japan faced c. 1990 but few of the positives e.g. strong manufacturing base and personal savings, strong export markets etc.
The UK will emerge when people have paid down their debts and feel they have money to spend again. I expect there will be a new generation wanting to buy houses etc who will find a new economic model that shows that there will be another never ending boom and we will repeat the current cycle.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:56 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

saw an "interesting" article today http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ndia-recession

If the theory is true then OZ has 2 years of good times before the "crash and burn"

Start saving those cents!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
saw an "interesting" article today http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ndia-recession

If the theory is true then OZ has 2 years of good times before the "crash and burn"

Start saving those cents!
The crash and burn could happen very quickly here (and in China). Nobody in Aus seems to have paused to consider the impact of a rapid 20-30% fall in house prices as seen elsewhere. With everyone loaded up to the eyeballs with debt, it wouldn't be pretty.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The crash and burn could happen very quickly here (and in China). Nobody in Aus seems to have paused to consider the impact of a rapid 20-30% fall in house prices as seen elsewhere. With everyone loaded up to the eyeballs with debt, it wouldn't be pretty.
Absolutely, don't ever say this in polite company though, you'll be considered a lunatic.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Absolutely, don't ever say this in polite company though, you'll be considered a lunatic.
I do, and am
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

rapid 20-30% fall in house prices as seen elsewhere.
I can't see that has happened in the UK
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:17 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there have been enough articles over the last year to indicate that the China gravy train could likely come to a juddering halt within the next 1 to 2 years. Best to assume our long overdue recession is certainly on the way, and prepare accordingly.

It may come sooner rather than later, maybe even within the next 12 months.
Interesting year ahead for sure !
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i...service=mobile
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Well, there have been enough articles over the last year to indicate that the China gravy train could likely come to a juddering halt within the next 1 to 2 years. Best to assume our long overdue recession is certainly on the way, and prepare accordingly.

It may come sooner rather than later, maybe even within the next 12 months.
Interesting year ahead for sure !
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i...service=mobile
You may be right but who knows. I could find 10 articles saying the opposite. The vast majority of economists know jack shit.

Choose your 'experts' well.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It has in much of the North, Midlands and Wales, and and even bigger crash has been masked by the collapse in Sterling.

If in 2007 you'd paid US$1,000,000 (and you can choose virtually any currency you like for this exercise) for something decent in London you'd now be lucky to get back US$700,000.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It has in much of the North, Midlands and Wales, and and even bigger crash has been masked by the collapse in Sterling.

If in 2007 you'd paid US$1,000,000 (and you can choose virtually any currency you like for this exercise) for something decent in London you'd now be lucky to get back US$700,000.
How about if I had bought this house at the start of 2009 in Euro's?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

You might have made about 10% because you were wise enough to buy Sterling at the all-time Sterling:Euro low. But any time prior to that and you'd have been scr*wed good 'an proper too.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

If you start playing around with FX rates you can make anything 'happen'.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:08 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I met a woman in the UK who had inherited a house. Three bedrooms, double glazed, conservatory. Stoke on Trent.

She thought it was worth 250-300k.

The estate agent valued it at 50k

It was turned in at 39k just before Christmas.

Price dops like that must hurt someone.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I met a woman in the UK who had inherited a house. Three bedrooms, double glazed, conservatory. Stoke on Trent.

She thought it was worth 250-300k.

The estate agent valued it at 50k

It was turned in at 39k just before Christmas.

Price dops like that must hurt someone.
In the areas that I would ever contemplate living again, they have hardly dropped at all. In fact I think some areas have even gone up.

I agree that in shithole areas prices have probably dropped, but then there's a reason for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.