Pound = $ 1-64

Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:15 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pound = $ 1-64

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think I should win a prize........maybe!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8385777
You must have the memory of an elephant!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:37 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
It may well do. While the current volatility unfolds, the GBP is being seeing as a safe haven, believe it or not
Not really the pound that is strengthening at this point or seen as a safe haven - it's more the fact that the Aussie $ has weakened with the safer investments slightly not as "safe" as before.

The IMF also indicated that Australia should reduce interest rates to counter a global downturn so investors have preempted this taking effect which has also hit the Aussie $. If it looks unlikely that the RBA will follow through with a rate decrease then the $ could well bounce back a bit.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Not really the pound that is strengthening at this point or seen as a safe haven - it's more the fact that the Aussie $ has weakened with the safer investments slightly not as "safe" as before.

The IMF also indicated that Australia should reduce interest rates to counter a global downturn so investors have preempted this taking effect which has also hit the Aussie $. If it looks unlikely that the RBA will follow through with a rate decrease then the $ could well bounce back a bit.
Economist on 5live said that as the uk is one of the few countries to get it's house in order, sterling is indeed being seen as a "safe haven currency".
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:08 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
Economist on 5live said that as the uk is one of the few countries to get it's house in order, sterling is indeed being seen as a "safe haven currency".
I expect they are talking in terms of Europe with respect to being one of the few countries to get it's house in order ... and yes the pound would be a safer bet than the Euro.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I expect they are talking in terms of Europe with respect to being one of the few countries to get it's house in order ... and yes the pound would be a safer bet than the Euro.
I'm just glad I sold my shares and my AUD to buy gold. It's been a good week and with an asking price offer on my place from a cash buyer after only 4 days on the market I'm a happy very happy individual.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
I'm just glad I sold my shares and my AUD to buy gold. It's been a good week and with an asking price offer on my place from a cash buyer after only 4 days on the market I'm a happy very happy individual.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

When will the RBA announce any decision??
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:58 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
When will the RBA announce any decision??
September ? Market seems to have priced in the anticipated 50 basis points cut already though.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

it's climbed to $1.607 to the £1 . it can anticipate a little more for me.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:03 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
it's climbed to $1.607 to the £1 . it can anticipate a little more for me.
Remember the GFC event from Oct 2008
Spiked from 2.1 to 2.6 in the space of just 6 weeks, then dropped back steadily to 2.1 over the following couple of months.

Does that mean it could be possible to see a rapid similar climb from 1.5 to 1.8 this time around ?

Whatever the case, it is fair to say we are sailing through another bout of unchartered waters at the moment.
So much depends here on the outcome of the Euro crisis.
If Italy/Spain lose the plot, only then will the real chaos unfold and who knows what will arise out of that carnage !!!

This whole situation is more interesting to watch and speculate on than any reality TV show currently on offer
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

The spike from 2.1 to 2.6 is exactly what I'm thinking of and back then it was banks that were under threat not countries. I think as long as central banks just keep trying to QE or borrow their way out of the crisis I think things will just get worse. Only when these countries have realistic plans to actually pay down the debt will things start to stabilise. At the moment it feels like they're just shifting the debt burden around.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:38 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I dunno - Londonners riot for three days unabated and the biggest effect is their currency strengthens....

doesnt seem very fair to me.

Perhaps we need to kick off a bit here in Brisbane to keep the AU$ nice and strong?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:42 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 1.61

...1.65 by the end of today?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:49 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

$2.65 for my return in Oct 2012............yeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
$2.65 for my return in Oct 2012............yeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa!
Yeah!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.