Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Posting to the UK for Christmas

Posting to the UK for Christmas

Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Posting to the UK for Christmas

This might already have been covered, but I though it would be useful as there seem to be a lot of people arriving before Christmas.
First - if you are just posting a card to the UK, and write CARD ONLY on the envelope, it is cheaper than if you are sending a card and letter (no matter how short the letter).
Secondly, if you are posting a parcel, you will not only need to fill in a far more detailed Customs form than the one in the UK, but you will also need to take photo ID with you to the post office (passport or driving licence). They have to record that they have seen ID before accepting the items for post. You also have more options - you can send stuff by sea, air, or Economy Air - my experience is that air can be as quick as 3 or 4 days (from Brisbane), Econ Air is usually about 3 weeks.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Posting to the UK for Christmas

Thanks for that, any idea what the last posting date is for card only type mail?

Cheers
Mash

Originally posted by Pollyana
This might already have been covered, but I though it would be useful as there seem to be a lot of people arriving before Christmas.
First - if you are just posting a card to the UK, and write CARD ONLY on the envelope, it is cheaper than if you are sending a card and letter (no matter how short the letter).
Secondly, if you are posting a parcel, you will not only need to fill in a far more detailed Customs form than the one in the UK, but you will also need to take photo ID with you to the post office (passport or driving licence). They have to record that they have seen ID before accepting the items for post. You also have more options - you can send stuff by sea, air, or Economy Air - my experience is that air can be as quick as 3 or 4 days (from Brisbane), Econ Air is usually about 3 weeks.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:29 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Posting to the UK for Christmas

They don't seem to publish a "last dates" thing for air mail (though if I find one when I start work, I'll post it on here.) Last day for surface mail was the same as the UK, early October, but with air mail, I think stuff we sent each other last Christmas was taking about 10 days both ways.

http://www1.auspost.com.au/internati...ntlookup&sub=1
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you all play basketball with the fragile marked items like Royal Mail do?
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Do you all play basketball with the fragile marked items like Royal Mail do?
LOL

weren't they affectionately known as 'Parcel Farce'?
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:55 am
Home and Happy

I'll let you know at the end of the week! Anyone sending stuff out, write Expats on it, and I'll handle it - er - nice and gently!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

The Post (or should it just be Post?) have a handy sheet:
International Post Charges Easy Guide

Probably available via the web too...

TC