British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Posting medicine to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/posting-medicine-uk-837451/)

LeeWillo Jun 27th 2014 4:47 am

Posting medicine to UK

My in-laws came over in March. My FIL has bad knees and has been on painkillers for years. When they came over his went missing or something I don't know, he didn't have them anyway. So he went to a chemist here in Oz and bought some 'Panadol Osteo'. He said they were the best he has ever had, he has almost run out of what he took home with him. He can't find them in the UK so has asked me to post him some. I've bought some, but I am a bit nervous about posting them? I am allowed to? Should i tell the truth on the customs form or say it is something else? Has anyone been in trouble for posting things they shouldn't before?

koalakim Jun 27th 2014 5:04 am

Re: Posting medicine to UK

That's interesting about the Panadol, my Mum has just developed arthritis in her knee so when you get the answer to this question I might send her some!

I think it's been mentioned on here about buying medicines off the internet which have got through here ok. If it can get into Oz I'm sure it will get into the UK!

LeeWillo Jun 27th 2014 5:14 am

I'm just wondering where it will be checked, here or UK? If UK I guess they will just destroy it if they don't like what it is. But if it is here could I get into trouble?!

Swerv-o Jun 27th 2014 5:16 am

Originally Posted by LeeWillo (Post 11316672)
My in-laws came over in March. My FIL has bad knees and has been on painkillers for years. When they came over his went missing or something I don't know, he didn't have them anyway. So he went to a chemist here in Oz and bought some 'Panadol Osteo'. He said they were the best he has ever had, he has almost run out of what he took home with him. He can't find them in the UK so has asked me to post him some. I've bought some, but I am a bit nervous about posting them? I am allowed to? Should i tell the truth on the customs form or say it is something else? Has anyone been in trouble for posting things they shouldn't before?

It looks like Panadol Osteo is just paracetamol in a sustained release formula - designed to be released slowly over time. There seems to be no other active ingredient in it.

If I were you, I think I would just declare 'Paracetamol' and see how it goes. It looks like the UK only has restrictions on receiving prescription drugs, so I think you would probably be OK. there is a helpline though - perhaps you can call for a definitive answer.

S

Swerv-o Jun 27th 2014 5:18 am

Originally Posted by LeeWillo (Post 11316691)
I'm just wondering where it will be checked, here or UK? If UK I guess they will just destroy it if they don't like what it is. But if it is here could I get into trouble?!

I would have thought that if it was sealed up in its original packaging, and unopened you would probably be OK. It's just paracetamol - not pseudoephedrine, which they really get their knickers in a twist over here...

A

commonwealth Jun 27th 2014 11:26 am

be careful, paracetamol is a liver killer. if he drinks alcohol, it makes it worse.

moneypenny20 Jun 27th 2014 12:08 pm

I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem. Australia don't sell Solpadeine because they don't allow the addition of caffeine in painkillers but there's no problem importing the stuff from the UK to here.

Just gone on an Aus online pharmacy and they appear tol ship Panadol Osteo to the UK (I didn't go through the whole process) so you should be fine, just don't and ship a crate of the stuff.

ePharmacy.com.au if you want to check it out (mad postage though).