Wikiposts

Postcard from Perth

Old Sep 7th 2003, 10:38 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postcard from Perth

Originally posted by baldbutts
Hi Perry,hope you're enjoying Adelaide.
You should have given us a ring whilst down here,would've given you a guided tour.Will we see you out here again ?
I agree,people should check Mandurah out.It's a much less hectic style to North of the river,but as I've said before,I wouldn't put anyone off living up there.If you're used to a small town/village way of life,deffo get down here.
BB

Hehehe....

A good time was had by all, even though it was just a short visit we enjoyed Perth far more than I was expecting to and loved Mandurah.

Didn't expect this to turn into a debate on driving road (s)kills though. I take some of the points made on current evidence I still don't see the appalling standard driving that some are going on about. Sure there are cases of youngsters killing themselves and their passengers but show me where in the world that doesn't happen - it's certainly no worse than the UK, US or Germany (the only places I'm qualified to campare it with).

So either
1. I arrived in WA in 'good driving week' and didn't notice the signs.
2. I was expecting the worst and so proved that a pessimist is never disappointed.
3. I'm used to driving in the hell that is London and the south east so anything (outside of Italy) is going to be good.
or
4. There's a whole lot of whingin' going on

Perry
Drinking Coopers Pale in an apartment in Adelaide
Old Sep 7th 2003, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont agree with capital punishment, as for Tony Martin, good on him. Why shouldnt someone protect their property. And heroin users dying, bloody great. Knowone forces them to take the stuff. Yet we all pay for the consequences in taxes.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 10:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving

I have no idea about Perth traffic as I drive in Sydney. Sydney just seems to have sprawled with no planning hence the third world roads. I am wondering whether to get a 4WD to get negotiate the potholes on the Parramatta road.

What is the population of Perth? It can hardly be enough to generate an Urban nightmare yet.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 11:04 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I spent 8 months driving around oz, including in the city centres of melb syd and adelaide.

The driving standard was pretty bad. However, its NO different to the driving over here in my experience.

You get idiots driving eveywhere.

Accidents in 1996....the only stats i could find....doubt its changed.

United Kingdom
Death - 3,598
Injury - 316,704
Vehicles - 24,001,000

Australia
Death - 1,970
Injury - 17,048
Vehicles - 10,956,000
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by karawara88
And if they "make a mistake" and kill innocent people whilst driving like complete maniacs. You will say?

Renth I am sorry but I really can't have sympathy for people who die as a result of stealing a car and doing what they do. I can for the familys and for anyone who is affected by it, but for the people that do it, I just think good, they wont do it again. !! If they get caught the punishment does not stop them, and they continue to do it until they kill someone else or themselves.

Send 'em to the colonies !!!!!!!
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the population of Perth? It can hardly be enough to generate an Urban nightmare yet.
Driving in and around Perth is no problem, very easy to navigate once you know your freeways, (and Donna is an excellent navigator). Its just driving standards leave a lot to be desired. Driving back from York (Two hours outside Perth) today lashing down with rain, visibility poor, and the dipsticks are driving a few feet from car in front and with no lights. !! Then on radio you hear about all the crashes. !! worse offenders are taxi and bus drivers.

On saying all that, after spending some time in USA arrived back in UK and was driving on M6 at 55mph thinking wow look at the speed these lunatics drive at. So guess after a while you dont notice.

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 8th 2003 at 12:54 am.