Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Postcard from Perth

Postcard from Perth

Old Sep 6th 2003, 2:57 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Postcard from Perth

Hello from sunny Perth - wish you were here and all that....

Well, this is first time that we've been over for anything other than a holiday and although I've tried very hard to make sure that the 'rose tinted glasses' were left behind it's very difficult not to like it here.

Of course - we've only got a week in WA (just for the younger brat's university interview - she wants to go to Notre Dame in Freo) so I'm not qualified to make observations of any real value but do you think that that's likely to stop me?

First let's debunk some myths that have appeared here:

Roads and Drivers - 'Aussie drivers are rude, inconsiderate lunatics' - Not on current experience they're not! I've seen a few but generally it's pretty much the same as at home most are polite, willing to wave you into traffic and don't suddenly turn into ravenous predators when looking for a parking space. Speed is a bit odd - when the signs say 60 you do 60 - you will be made to feel self conscious at either 58 or 62. On the down side are the traffic lights - if you drive here (and you'll have to drive, the public transport is good but limited outside of the city) then you just have to get used to the idea that you'll be spending a significant part of your life waiting for lights to change and some of them do take a long long time...

Shops and Shopping - Definitely getting better – used to be one of the things the real expats had good cause to moan about but I can’t see it here – Malls are more American in style but there’s a good range of shops and many of the supermarkets are easily comparable to what we have in the UK. Loads of familiar brands which some will find reassuring but I was a little disappointed to see. PB used to regularly post complaining about the quality of meat here, now generally I have a lot of time for the old boy but on this occasion he was talking out of what he should be sitting on. First night here we picked up some t-bones from an ordinary local supermarket – half UK price and twice the quality.

Beer – As a card carrying CAMRA member this was a worry but you know – when you get here the beer’s not bad – the local Swan lager is so bland as to be almost undrinkable but there are plenty of other alternatives (try ‘Little Creatures’ from Freo) British real ales just wouldn’t work here.

Perth still isn’t for me in long term (too American – first impression was that a smaller southern Californian city had been airlifted over here in its entirety) but I understand the appeal that it has to many far better now.

Couple of days ago we met that nice Mr & Mrs Baldbutts in Rockingham for lunch and to swap war stories. Wasn’t that impressed with Rockingham itself but as they seem to be enjoying Mandurah we drove down there later to have a look. All I can say is that if you’re coming over for a look around make sure that you include it on your itinerary, I don’t know what it’s like for jobs etc but as an area I think I’d have no trouble living there.

That’ll do for now – I’m clearly rambling. Postcard from Adelaide to follow in couple of weeks

Perry & Sarah
Old Sep 6th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you. Some more positive feedback - it will keep us all 'dreaming' for a bit longer now!!

Keep the informative posts coming, it gives us something to look forward to.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it out there. It will be interesting to hear what you think about Adelaide compared to Perth.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Roads and Drivers - 'Aussie drivers are rude, inconsiderate lunatics' - Not on current experience they're not!
Been here 4 weeks and the driving standard is diabolical. Compared to North West of UK anyway, !!! and the best place to drive is keep to the right because no bugger will let you in if you dont. Accelerate to close the gap if road goes into one lane. Indicators are optional extras, 4 wheel drives have right of way. Dont park next to anyone as they will open door into your shiney new car. Also learnt pedestrians have no right of way anywhere.

The good thing is the teenagers are killing themselves by the bucket load in stolen motors.

Food in supermarket yes loads of choice but expensive compared to wages.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88

The good thing is the teenagers are killing themselves by the bucket load in stolen motors.
Let's hope none of your kids ends up riding in a stolen car then.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Karawara88 i have to agree with you , we have been here 11 months and the driving is bad , they cant drive thats that. I have never had anyone politley wave me out i have to say , and when the lane does merge yes put your foot down because they wont slow down for you to squeeze in , its first come first served.
I think what karawara means it shows how bad the driving standards are with the teenagers killing themselves , they are just mad . Again it was pretty quiet where we came from , and when you nearly have a head on with your kids in the back of the car here with a car load of hoons who think it was funny to be swerving all over the road its a bit of an eye opener. But we get on ok on the whole its just now and again.
Joanne
Old Sep 7th 2003, 3:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I drive the Parramatta road every day and see carnage regularly. Tail gating, constant beeping, psycho lane changing are a few of the hazards. I have seen 5 car pile up including turnovers on a road where the speed limit is 60kmh.

The hoon cars would be amusing (the bright colours, ''fully sik'' exhausts and under car blue lights) except that they have racing car engines and lunatic drivers that regularly kill themselves and the poor bugger that they hit.

The average oz blames the lebos. The anglos are just as bad driving their 5 litre v8 utes with bull bars that crush any pedestrian in the way.

Apparently real aussies drive utes.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Let's hope none of your kids ends up riding in a stolen car then.
Why, do you let yours ? Would hope that if I had kids they would know better than to steal cars and have no respect for other peoples lives and property.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Why, do you let yours ? Would hope that if I had kids they would know better than to steal cars and have no respect for other peoples lives and property.
Everyone makes mistakes, if my kids grow up and end up dying in a stolen car I won't say they deserved it.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Everyone makes mistakes, if my kids grow up and end up dying in a stolen car I won't say they deserved it.
And if they "make a mistake" and kill innocent people whilst driving like complete maniacs. You will say?

Renth I am sorry but I really can't have sympathy for people who die as a result of stealing a car and doing what they do. I can for the familys and for anyone who is affected by it, but for the people that do it, I just think good, they wont do it again. !! If they get caught the punishment does not stop them, and they continue to do it until they kill someone else or themselves.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:26 am
owieb

And if they "make a mistake" and kill innocent people whilst driving like complete maniacs. You will say?

Renth I am sorry but I really can't have sympathy for people who die as a result of stealing a car and doing what they do. I can for the familys and for anyone who is affected by it, but for the people that do it, I just think good, they wont do it again. !! If they get caught the punishment does not stop them, and they continue to do it until they kill someone else or themselves.
This is my view too.

I don't have children, so it's difficult to say how I'd feel if my children were involved in something like this. I would like to think that I would bring them up to understand right from wrong etc, but not having any experience with children this may be harder to do than I think!

Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:33 am
(It's not my real name)

You're all heart.

I bet you think it's good whent a burglar gets shot by a Tony Martin type or a heroin addict dies of an overdose.

Maybe if enough of you get together you could bring back the death penalty for all offences starting with stealing cars all the way through to murder.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:42 am
owieb

Originally posted by renth
I bet you think it's good whent a burglar gets shot by a Tony Martin type
But if the burglar had shot Tony Martin, would it have been Tony Martin's fault for being in his own house at the wrong time?

It's amazing how these posts can go from someone talking about their impressions of Perth to the morals of capital punishment!

Last edited by owieb; Sep 8th 2003 at 3:47 am.

Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by renth
You're all heart.

I bet you think it's good whent a burglar gets shot by a Tony Martin type or a heroin addict dies of an overdose.

Maybe if enough of you get together you could bring back the death penalty for all offences starting with stealing cars all the way through to murder.
I'm sorry renth but I'm with the rest on this, people have to start taking reasponsibility for their actions, and not try and blame it on everything under the sun that is even remotely connected to the action.

If somebody stupid enough to take illegal drugs they deserve everything they get, if that involves their own death so be it. If a car thief is killed trying to escape from the police that is far preferable than the police or innocent parties being injured in my book.

And yes I'm in favour of the death penalty but only for horrendous crimes.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:14 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice
Default Re: Postcard from Perth

Originally posted by kentcoast

Couple of days ago we met that nice Mr & Mrs Baldbutts in Rockingham for lunch and to swap war stories. Wasn’t that impressed with Rockingham itself but as they seem to be enjoying Mandurah we drove down there later to have a look. All I can say is that if you’re coming over for a look around make sure that you include it on your itinerary, I don’t know what it’s like for jobs etc but as an area I think I’d have no trouble living there.

Perry & Sarah
Hi Perry,hope you're enjoying Adelaide.
You should have given us a ring whilst down here,would've given you a guided tour.Will we see you out here again ?
I agree,people should check Mandurah out.It's a much less hectic style to North of the river,but as I've said before,I wouldn't put anyone off living up there.If you're used to a small town/village way of life,deffo get down here.

Keep in touch Perry and Sarah,and if you see a van with "Magic electrical "on the side,say hi from us

BB
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I'm sorry renth but I'm with the rest on this, people have to start taking reasponsibility for their actions, and not try and blame it on everything under the sun that is even remotely connected to the action.

If somebody stupid enough to take illegal drugs they deserve everything they get, if that involves their own death so be it. If a car thief is killed trying to escape from the police that is far preferable than the police or innocent parties being injured in my book.

And yes I'm in favour of the death penalty but only for horrendous crimes.
Death penalty sounds great but it doesn't do too much in America where they kill each other at a much higher rate despite capital punishment.

The repeated miscarriages of justice will mean that innocent people will die for our desire for vengeance. That is not progress.

It seems like people want drug driving kiddies killed and drink driving family people slapped on the wrist.

There has to be a better way than to lock them up or kill them. Neither work as a deterant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.