Reload this Page >

Postal Redirection help please

Postal Redirection help please

Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

sherman989 is on a distinguished road
Default Postal Redirection help please

Hi

We have only 5 weeks to go and buzzy bees doing the paper work for our move. Just trying to decide what we should do with our post.
We have booked our accommodation for the first month and will decide later if and when to buy a house ( at the exchange rate at the moment its going to be a long time! ) but don't know what to do for our redirection address?

What have you done when you have been in this position, or please can you share your ideas. I had thought of setting up a PO Box, but its going to cost about $ 170, and with the Royal mail charge for redirection for two names it adds up.

Thanks for you help and advice

Mandie & Sherman
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:17 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal Redirection help please

Originally Posted by sherman989
Hi

We have only 5 weeks to go and buzzy bees doing the paper work for our move. Just trying to decide what we should do with our post.
We have booked our accommodation for the first month and will decide later if and when to buy a house ( at the exchange rate at the moment its going to be a long time! ) but don't know what to do for our redirection address?

What have you done when you have been in this position, or please can you share your ideas. I had thought of setting up a PO Box, but its going to cost about $ 170, and with the Royal mail charge for redirection for two names it adds up.

Mandie & Sherman

SNAP! I picked up the forms from the post office today. We move out of our house in just over a week, then it is another 5 weeks until we leave the country. We are planning to have our post redirected to my mother's address (not that we are expecting much of it as we have tried to tie up most things from this end) Still trying to decide how long to arrange this for but figure 6 months should be long enough as this covers our first Christmas away and will ensure we get all the enormous cheques from long forgotten great-great relatives!

Probably doesn't help you but that's what we're doing!

Binbird
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:01 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

In WA (don't know about elsewhere) you can have your mail redirected to the local post office, when you fill in your royal mail redirection put the local post office address complete with post code on the form, mail will go there and you just pop in show some ID and pick it up, after you've picked up a couple of times you won't even be asked for ID. Best of all..... you only have to pay the royal mail charge there is no charge for the service here!

I have organised this for a couple of our new arrivals and they had no propblems with it.

Contact number from Australia is 131318, sorry not sure about for the UK, try the website www.australiapost.com.au

Lynn
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:24 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I was fairly fortunate to have several friends who work for BA and come through Melbourne regularly so got the post redirected to them in the UK and they bring it out every now and again (not much these days apart from junk mail lol)

I'd say the options are:

a/ Get it redirected to friends/family in the UK and get them to sort out the junk and send it on, then once you get a more long term address you can pass that on to relevant organisations/people and get them to send to you in Aus directly.

b/ Use an international redirection from Royal Mail to your temproary Aus address, then when you move set up a redirection with Australia Post to your new address, I used their redirection over here when I moved into a long term rental and nothing went missing and it was very quick to get to me.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We had it re-directed to a friend for the first 3 months - she sorted out all the trash and sent the important stuff to us in OZ.

When we moved to our first rental - we had it re-directed for 6 months from our old OZ address to new OZ address with our local PO - charges are reasonable - you have a choice of 1/3/6/12 months at a cost of 1 - $11 / 3 - $23 / 6 - $34 / 12 - $66.

If you need to have it re-directed from the UK - it will obviously cost a lot more. Is there someone you could have it sent to - just until you get an address in Australia?? Then you can inform all the relevant companies/family/friends of your new address and take it from there.

Hope this helps in some way.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Mandie & Sherman
Sam had a job sorted before we came out so we redirected to his work address until we got settled and then changed it later.

If you are not in the same position, could see about opening a PO box here is Oz just for a few weeks?

Molly
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Mandie & Sherman
If you have accommodation arranged for a few weeks when you arrive, why not redirect to that address, then when you move to something more permanent change the redirect address. This can be done simply on the internet.

OPTUS
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:46 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by optus
If you have accommodation arranged for a few weeks when you arrive, why not redirect to that address, then when you move to something more permanent change the redirect address. This can be done simply on the internet.

OPTUS
We redirected to Mum, she sorted out the junk etc, told us of any relevant and because we had left her a cheque book, paid any bills. She has now moved to Barbados, funny didn't know she had the money hhmmmmm!!!
ViVi