Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Postal redirection

Postal redirection

Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Postal redirection

Does anyone has friends or rellies who dont mind you using their address for post 'till you get settled? If thats the case i have just got the forms from the post office about mail redirection. You can choose to have it redirected from one month up to a year. For the whole year its only £64.80, which is a bargin with christmas coming etc!! Hope this is of some help?!!!
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rang up for mine yesterday, I'm having mine done at a UK address, which is about £32 - redirected to a friend, who will then bin all the junk (and some of the bills!) and scan the rest on before emailing it to me. i will have told most people the new address by then anyway, cos mine will be a permanent address from the start .
I was surprised at how cheap it is to do it to Oz though.Thought it would be much more than that.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postal redirection

Originally posted by h garrett
Does anyone has friends or rellies who dont mind you using their address for post 'till you get settled? If thats the case i have just got the forms from the post office about mail redirection. You can choose to have it redirected from one month up to a year. For the whole year its only £64.80, which is a bargin with christmas coming etc!! Hope this is of some help?!!!
I had a look at this just yesterday. I too was suprised at the cost and if you set it up fo 3 months £ 28.10, you can chose to extend it at a later date. (no point if you are only getting junk mail or bills)
You must apply at least 5 days before you want the redirection to start.

Tony C
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Just as a comparison I've just redirected my mail from home in Brisbane to PO box in Brisbane and thats cost $36 for 3 months.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

In UK to save paying per surname for re-direction set up a PO Box and have that redirected to family or friend. We do this and arranged months prior for all the banks etc to send to PO Box then this goes to my parents who filter the junk and send it on. Only works out at about £100 for the year £50 for PO box and £50 for redirection.

PO Box you can have as long as you want where re-direction has restrictions.

All stray post going to house we asked the new owners to put lable on (that we supplied) redirecting to PO Box. Works a treat.

Also if you you start sending all your junk mail back marked not known at this address you will find it drops dramatically. We started doing this months before we left and now get hardly any.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We've used the PO redirection for the last 6 years to the States - one piece of advice is to check the details VERY carefully when they send the acknowledgement back to you!

Had to correct them four separate times on one occasion.

Incidentally, doing the same thing in reverse - ie. US > UK the US PO does it for free!

Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The label idea is a good one, Donna & Chris - I'll print some off before I leave work, and pass them to the guys in the flat downstairs. More likely to send stuff on if they just have to stick on a label rather than write on it.