Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Post a good experience you had in Australia.

Post a good experience you had in Australia.

Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post a good experience you had in Australia.

Originally Posted by Wendee
Which vineyard?
Happy to share, it is the Granitevale Estate. Their website, very under managed which they fully admit to, is here http://www.granitevaleestate.com.au/?page_id=2.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I have many but a few are:
My daughter had gone to get ice and put her purse on the roof of the car as she opened the door....left it on the roof!!!! Someone picked it up and found her from her driving licence and returned the purse with all contents

When another daughter was 12 she left her purse on the bus when she went shopping with her friends. She told another bus driver and he radioed through, someone had handed it in the the driver of her bus and he returned it to her on his next stop at the shopping centre

The bus driver that dropped me off near my house (on many occasions) on his way from finishing one route to starting another
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One we used to have here on a regular basis was way back when we rented a house in Pascoe Vale here in Melbourne. We rented directly from the owners, who were a local Italian family... about 6 brothers, all bachelors apparently and a Mama. We would go around to their house once a month to pay the rent.

We would be taken inside, and given a 10 course Italian lunch, which would last for about 3 hours, during which we discussed world events and more from their perspective and ours. They really loved us because we had both our older two kids born at home in their house. They would give us gifts all the time... Bottles of home made sauce, home made salami, then the special, out would come bottles of Grappa.

I learnt a hell about Australian Italians out of this lot, especially their generosity and how they look after and really care about each other. Still see them about now and they would be getting up into their 80's... Get lots of hugs and pats on the back whenever we see them. Twas a great introduction for me in particular to Australia and was a fine example of how the Northern Burbs of Melbourne works.

Edit on a side note... The bus one above reminds me, when I used to catch a bus regularly, back in the 80's.. the bus driver would make a special effort to go past the stop and drop me on the corner where the bus changes direction and hence closer to home. Things like that tend to happen a fair bit here... even these days

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 31st 2012 at 11:51 am.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:01 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if Brunswick counts as a northern burb or not.

Stayed there for a couple of days a couple of years back.

The place seems to have a bit of a reputation so I was intersted to see for myself. We went out to dinner in Sydney street. As we walked up there, there was just about every race and colour on view, young and old, all out enjoying themselves. It was actually quite noisy but it was a FUN noise, not an aggressive one. I really enjoyed it.

We went to a Thai restaurant (mainly cos it looked not to expensive). I ordered the grub based on the portion sizes I knew in England and other places in Melbourne. Suffice to say, we just couldn't eat it all.

Cosmopolitan is the name for it I think.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:42 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

my mrs debra left a parcel of books in her shopping trolley

she`d left them in a plastic bag on the handle, over a hundred bucks worth of books plus a pre paid voucher for harry potter seven,(a present for our daughter) when she got home the air was blue ( she was really annoyed with herself) so she drove back to the book shop to see if she could at least cancel the voucher and to her amazement some kind soul had found them and returned the complete package to the bookshop

who ever you are

thank you
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Holiday on Dunk Island, staying in Cape Tribulation, having a spectacular view of Sydney harbour for 5 years, going snorkeling before work and sometimes after. Working with a very funny bunch of expats at Macquarie Bank. Had many great experiences that's for sure.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Holiday on Dunk Island
Same, loved it. Sadly no longer open since Yasi went through

Good experiences for us make me think of outback roads, open skies, bbqs with friends, empty beaches and lots and lots of laughter.

Favourite, we were in the Kimberleys and managed to lose the pin that holds our tow hitch on, thankfully friends picked up the tow hitch itself. We stopped at a remote community to see if we could get some reo to replace the pin. While the guy had a look someone else pulled in needing a puncture repair and we got chatting. Anyway, it ended up that this guy gave as his pin as he wasn't towing anything. He would not accept payment, just simply said what goes around, comes around

We now carry spare pins, bet we never have it happen again but perhaps we can help someone else on the road!

Last edited by jothefw; Nov 1st 2012 at 12:09 am. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Mr P had an 'incident' in UK...was a feeling it might have been a young stroke.
The hospital in UK was good but could not complete all the required tests as they were too stretched.
He was given a note to bring back to Aus.
A week later he was in hospital having every test known to mankind.
The service was brilliant.

And we just arrived back 3 weeks ago after a gap 24 months in UK. My daughter was desperate for the loo...I went in a cafe to buy something to use their loo, and the girl told me not to be daft and just gave us the key and said 'you're welcome' as we left. All with a lovely sunny smile.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Vaucluse, I used to jog from my apartment to Watsons bay in the morning and got to see the sunrise on one side and the sun light hit the city on the other. Really amazing. I want to move back there.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:56 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

i'm disabled, i was taking the train to the airport by myself and the guard put me and my suitcase on the train and arranged to get us both off at the airport station in Sydney

when the train stopped at the station the guard didnt turn up I stood in the doorway and was just thinking of trying to get off myself when the train moved off the doors shut with my arm and walking stick trapped
the other passengers helped me pull my arm in and one of the men a stranger got off with me at the next station which had no lifts or escalators and carried my suitcase up and down the stairs to the platform to go back he then helped me over and came with me all the way to the airport to ensure i got on and off the trains ok. He refused money and wouldnt give me his name he was pretty wonderful i thought so I thanked him in the mx paper
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

After last xmas my daughter went to Chadstone with her xmas money (around$300) and lost her purse, but someone had handed it all in intact to security.

I also gatecrashed a party (long story), and left my bag with EVERYTHING in it there. Phoned my phone the next day and the person who's party i had crashed had taken my bag home. They then gave me their address and i picked it up with everything intact. Believe me i was there with my tail between my legs apologizing and giving them a birth card with 100 bucks, lol! , but they were so gracious and saw the funny side.

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 3rd 2012 at 12:14 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
I got a job i thought was only for seriously intelligent people... Not some one like me....

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 3rd 2012 at 12:13 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i had sex with hot aussie guys.
Read this and thought "she's up for it" .... then realised it was you
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A random man saved my life today which was quite good! Driving along with Tiddler when she said very calmly and quietly for me to pull over, I did but happened to look her way as I did to find an enormous spider on her window. I screamed very loudly, she's trying to keep me calm, telling me it's outside. Pulled up and pressed the button to close my window. Suddenly she's got my head in her neck telling me not to look, to shut off the engine and very calmly get out her side. It had gone over the top and I'd got its legs caught in my window, at which point I started screaming again. Stood on the side of the road in meltdown. Man came along and flicked it to the ground (legless). I was a gibbering wreck and for someone who doesn't mind them, Tiddler was as well. It was the ugliest fricking thing I've ever seen. Took about an hour for the adrenalin to fade away.

I know they're 'harmless', it doesn't make any odds, I am completely terrified of them.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A random man saved my life today which was quite good! Driving along with Tiddler when she said very calmly and quietly for me to pull over, I did but happened to look her way as I did to find an enormous spider on her window. I screamed very loudly, she's trying to keep me calm, telling me it's outside. Pulled up and pressed the button to close my window. Suddenly she's got my head in her neck telling me not to look, to shut off the engine and very calmly get out her side. It had gone over the top and I'd got its legs caught in my window, at which point I started screaming again. Stood on the side of the road in meltdown. Man came along and flicked it to the ground (legless). I was a gibbering wreck and for someone who doesn't mind them, Tiddler was as well. It was the ugliest fricking thing I've ever seen. Took about an hour for the adrenalin to fade away.

I know they're 'harmless', it doesn't make any odds, I am completely terrified of them.
Did you take any pictures ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.