Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Post GCSE's - what happens?

Post GCSE's - what happens?

Old May 4th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

CoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the roughCoolAllie is a jewel in the rough
Default Post GCSE's - what happens?

Hi

My son is finishing his GCSE's in July next year then we will be coming out to Perth. What I need to know is what happens to his education next. Im guessing that A-Levels are a UK only thing. I understand that the Australian children take a leaving certificate? Is this good enough for a uni application? when do they take this and will his GSCE's count towards it?
Thanks

Allie
Old May 4th 2011, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post GCSE's - what happens?

Yes, foreign country with totally different education system so no A levels.

He would be wise to enrol in year 11 (in January) and do the final two year course which will lead him to a year 12 certificate which is a prerequisite for university.

Some jurisdictions do something with GCSEs (egVic) but it is rather complicated and IMHO you run a risk of not getting the grades you might need and the best idea is to either stay in UK and finish A levels which travel well to Aus universities or to be here for the beginning of year 11 (dont try and start part way through the year, that can be a disadvantage)
Old May 5th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CoolAllie
Hi

My son is finishing his GCSE's in July next year then we will be coming out to Perth. What I need to know is what happens to his education next. Im guessing that A-Levels are a UK only thing. I understand that the Australian children take a leaving certificate? Is this good enough for a uni application? when do they take this and will his GSCE's count towards it?
Thanks

Allie

I am not sure that a GCSE ensures entrance straight into Uni. However, I don't think he would have to resit both years 11 and 12. I would check with Education WA and it could be that he only has to sit one year to qualify for the Tertiary Entrance Exam (I think that's what it is in WA) - which will then give him a ranking for University entry.

Other to this, there are several places that would offer some sort of bridging / foundation course. However, choosing such a course would then bring cost into the equation.

Another issue to consider is the subject your son wants to take at university (that's indeed if he wants to go - you do not actually say that he wants to go). Some degrees require higher level entry than others so it might be worthwhile putting the extra two years in as opposed to one year.

Good luck with it all

Mx
Old May 5th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I found this site which has details on the different Year 12 qualifications and changing high schools around Australia: http://acaca.bos.nsw.edu.au/.
Old May 5th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

My son was in his GCSE year when we arrived.
He did the last few weeks of year 10 here. (No exams ) so had time to make friends and relax. If Im honest the work was a little easier for him.

Then he did Year 11 and 12 which is like A levels. We are in WA so he did TER exams.
You choose your subjects like A levels. My son was academic so did Physics, Calculus,Maths,Chem, English.
However he has friends who wanted apprenticeships so they did more practical subjects.

My son fitted in very well with the exam system, and got excellent results and is now in Uni. Doing the TER exams made it easy to get into Uni courses but Uni here do accept Alevels too.

I was worried about bringing my son over at this age but he fitted in the quickest.

You also have TAFE as an option for courses bit like your local college back in the UK.

Gems
Old May 5th 2011, 3:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
I am not sure that a GCSE ensures entrance straight into Uni. However, I don't think he would have to resit both years 11 and 12.

Good luck with it all

Mx
They won't get in with GCSEs they need 'A' levels in the UK or Grades 11 & 12 with WA's equivalent of Leavers Cert and/or OP ranking. He wouldn't be resitting any year as he'd be finishing Grade 10 in the UK.