Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possums in our roof space

Possums in our roof space

Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:49 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possums in our roof space

Hey guys

We have just moved into our new house, and unfortunately we are not alone.

A possum has taken up residence in our roof space.

Apart from the noise as the possum comes back from its nightly runs, is there anything I should be concerned about? ie health risks etc..

Also if I cant get used to the nightly thumping, does anyone know a good possum guy in Brisbane?

cheers

Shane
Old Dec 24th 2005, 3:15 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Possums in our roof space

Originally Posted by sloake
Hey guys

Apart from the noise as the possum comes back from its nightly runs, is there anything I should be concerned about? ie health risks etc..

Also if I cant get used to the nightly thumping, does anyone know a good possum guy in Brisbane?

cheers

Shane
Hi

Can't give you a definitive answer other than its "not good news".

Possums can cause a lot of damage and you should be getting rid.

Put up a search on here - this one has cropped up before.

Good luck

Jim
Old Dec 24th 2005, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW, most pest control companies will get rid of possums. They will set up and bait a special possum-cage in your roof. When the possum is caught, they then release it somewhere else.

Just ring around the Pest control companies in your local Yellow Pages.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try Amalgamated Pest Control, they do possums/birds etc.

One of the biggest problems with possums is that they are a carrier of paralysis tick.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:33 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Try Amalgamated Pest Control, they do possums/birds etc.

One of the biggest problems with possums is that they are a carrier of paralysis tick.
Thanks guys...

I was thinking of getting rid of it, just due to the noise it makes, but now I also know there are other reasons, dont feel so guilty.

I will check out Amalgamated Pest control after the holiday season..

cheers

Shane
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hey guys

cheers

Shane
There is Peter the Possum Man.

Of course you have to fix the roof gaps to keep all the others out

WW
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:42 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys...

I was thinking of getting rid of it, just due to the noise it makes, but now I also know there are other reasons, dont feel so guilty.

I will check out Amalgamated Pest control after the holiday season..

cheers

Shane
Just had a thought....... have you actually seen it - or just heard it?

Any chance it could be a r*t ? They don't all live at ground level or under!

Whatever - you'll want to be rid.

Jim
Old Dec 24th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Just had a thought....... have you actually seen it - or just heard it?

Any chance it could be a r*t ? They don't all live at ground level or under!

Whatever - you'll want to be rid.

Jim
If it was a rat making the noise of a possum, I'd be long gone :scared:

WW
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:10 am
chilled member

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
Its def a possum, I can see where it sleeps, in eve just above the front door.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 12:08 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
Of course, a rat would make the noise of a possum while fighting off the snake......
Old Dec 24th 2005, 12:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Of course, a rat would make the noise of a possum while fighting off the snake......
Oh that's alright then, nothing to worry about :scared:
Old Dec 24th 2005, 12:58 pm
chilled member

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Oh that's alright then, nothing to worry about :scared:

not seen snakes yet..
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:36 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Possum's in your roof...the cheeky bitch.. ...