Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ironically I normally advise to give it a go but in your case you've got a great support network family wise which with young kids is vital. I think you'd miss this as emigrating can be lonely till you make friends and even then, blood is thicker than water...takes a long time to find *real* friends who you can count on just like it took years in UK...

Tax..no different here so no reason to think it's easier...

Immigrants taking over...no different here in fact you'll be one of them if you come...difference being Aus is big enough to handle the extra whereas UK is overgrown, so I get that bit.....

Housing in Aus .....expensive here and no longer the cheap advantage it was bringing UK pounds over. The older houses in UK are generally made with proper stone and quality built whereas here they are generally quickly built, single brick. Lovely and big, spacious and different, but no better than UK.....

Your husbands job...sounds like he's doing well for himself in UK. Don't be one bit surprised if he comes over here and no one gives a damn how good he is or how qualified. It's a tough market out here at the moment and plenty of highly skilled people are unable to secure jobs and that includes those with Australian experience, never mind those without. For some reason no matter how much more experience people gain in UK, the Aussies don't give a shit. The recruitment market usually prefers Aussie experience over overseas experience and this has jolted a few immigrants thinking they are highly skilled and will be valued as such. Doesn't work this way here I'm afraid....more "who you know than what you know"....

Lifestyle for the kids....yep....I think (IMHO) Aus has far,far more to offer than UK overall. Personally speaking the UK is the arse end of the world and what was once a beutiful, positive, growing country is now overgrown and bankcrupt and is so far gone it's not funny. I had a fantastic lifestyle in UK and came to Aus for no other reason to try something different and for all it's faults (and it has many including the above) - it's been the best move ever. It's been very, very hard starting again - Aus is very different - but absolutly no regrets. Having said this we came when the exchange rate was much better and there was no recession...

So......personally speaking you don't look to have a good enough reason to move other than you fancy something different. If that's what you want then do it and be prepared for things to be hard as , but like I say the exchange rate and job market aint that good here right now so think about how this will affect you guys and emmigrating is not easy, especially with small kids and no support network...

Good luck whatever you decide as this will be your decision and what's best for you and your family which is what counts at the end of the day.

All the best mate
Your post was really helpful and insightful, cheers I think maybe we're best to wait until a secondment opportunity comes up for my husband with the company for whom he's currently working, so that it'll only be temporary and we've not burnt our bridges...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know nothing of the tax system in Oz but I do know that initial figures can be deceiving. One of the countries you mentioned on your list was the US. Income tax may appear to be less there than the US but there are lots of hidden taxes...sales tax (same in Canada only higher there you add 13% onto everything you buy including clothes). Depending where you live property taxes in the US are expensive...we pay around $20K per year...our house in the UK is around $2K per year. Utility bills are high in the US...including cell phone plans. Then there is healthcare...no NHS system here or cheap prescriptions. Medical bills are the no. 1 cause of bankrupcy in the US.

I've lived in the US for over 15 years and visit the UK often...the UK is still a great place to live. The things I miss most about the UK is family, friends, people understanding my sense of humour and the UK way of life...the life I took for granted for so many years.
$20k???!!! Jeez, that's around £12k, right? Are you in favour of private healthcare a la Obama, dare I ask...?! I'd give my opinion but I don't have any more Kleenex left for the backlash...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What does your hubby think? Plenty of IT nerds here.

A lot of words devoted to taxation and politics.

What do you actually want, and what is the real pull, or push?

Are you at a loose end?

Come because you know what you want and can achieve it, not for politics.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What does your hubby think?

A lot of words devoted to taxation and politics.

What do you actually want, and what is the real pull, or push?

Are you at a loose end?

Come because you know what you want and can achieve it, not for politics.

TBH I don't know what I want (nor my husband). We're both very indecisive and maybe we want / need someone to peer into our lives and tell us what to do for the best. We're both happy in our new house and with my husband's new job, and he really thinks he can go places with it (particularly if he passes a particular exam for which he's just started studying). He doesn't read the paper or watch the news (he says ignorance is bliss ) but I do, and I think I'm at risk of talking myself into emigrating because of how easily-angered I get at the politics of this country (and Europe! Don't forget Europe!! ). But like I said in another post (I think - could've been the Canada forum, come to think of it! ) neither of us thinks we'll stay in the UK forever, and we just want to do right by our kids, so even though we can close our eyes to what's happening around us (until the point where it lands on our doorstep), are we being selfish in not wanting to sacrifice our status quo for the possible future benefit of our children?

What do we want? We want the opportunity to work hard and earn a decent wage, in return for decent public services, a "UK citizens must come first" attitude, and a lack of intervention from Europe (had to add the Europe thing in again, lol). My husband wants to be able to afford a nice holiday (at the moment we can't because of the Euro), I would like to have a horse again one day, or at least one for my children (my last one got ran over and I've been out of the saddle for 11 years, although I've recently started up again thanks to the "Get Set Go Free" promotion on the back of Nestle cereal boxes! (yes, seriously). We would both like proper seasons, i.e. warm summers and cold, snowy winters. We would both like to live somewhere with beautiful scenery on our doorstep (ok so we have a field of cows, but it's got barbed wire so we can't access it!), a la Canada or Australia (not having to load the car up and drive 3 hours to the Peak District or seaside (where it's always cold, windy and full of chavs or stag dos).

However, I don't think I can stand the thought of moving down under whilst my parents are still alive (if it was Canada they'd probably visit...maybe). I'd never see them again Hence why a job secondment might be a possibility...

I think that, even if we decide that, somehow, the UK IS the best place to raise our kids, we'd still get itchy feet and like to try living elsewhere for a year or so, but to do that would have to be through Sean's work, as that's the only feasible way of doing a 'temporary' move, I think...

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seanyg
..we have a beautiful, brand new house opposite a field of cows (although there will eventually be 700 houses on it! ), my mother-in-law lives down the road and helps out a lot with the kids, my mum helps with my shopping on a Monday and I have a nice network of friends (not many, but quality is more important than quantity...). Thankfully (and I'm touching wood as I say this) the only way in which the recession has hit us is that our bills have gone up (groceries, petrol (mine - Sean's is paid for by his company), utilities, insurance policies, etc.). My husband's line of work is such that (again, touching wood...) it shouldn't be affected by any cutbacks, and he really enjoys his new job (been there since Feb), and they've just opened an office in New York....

Sounds like you have a great life in the UK. I had a similar life - great part time job, green fields, good quality of life, lots of disposable income. Moved here temporarily for a bit of experience and I've had a great time. I'm now done (4 and a half years) and would move back in a heart beat, but the kids are settled, my hubby is happy and I can't take them away from that. I'm a skilled IT worker who is currently unemployed. I long for a job that is paid as well and offers the growth opportunities that I had in the UK. Not a day goes by when I don't miss my family, friends, village, all the cultural richness of living in the UK. Even the chance to walk by the sea or go on a country stroll. In Brisbane you're a long way away from a decent beach and the traffic here is horrendous if you want to live anywhere that allows a decent commute to the city. If you could come over for a very lucrative job (e.g. mining), could afford regular trips to the UK (at least once a year) and don't mind spending a lot of time on your own without family and friends (Christmas is particularly bad), then give it a go. But in your position I'd think very carefully - as previous poster said 'If it ain't broke then don't fix it'
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:24 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Australia, Canada, or anywhere else you're considering, you're going to be one of those immigrants you hate so much.

I think you should do it, then you might get a different perspective on things.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I don't know what I want (nor my husband). We're both very indecisive and maybe we want / need someone to peer into our lives and tell us what to do for the best. We're both happy in our new house and with my husband's new job, and he really thinks he can go places with it (particularly if he passes a particular exam for which he's just started studying). He doesn't read the paper or watch the news (he says ignorance is bliss ) but I do, and I think I'm at risk of talking myself into emigrating because of how easily-angered I get at the politics of this country (and Europe! Don't forget Europe!! ). But like I said in another post (I think - could've been the Canada forum, come to think of it! ) neither of us thinks we'll stay in the UK forever, and we just want to do right by our kids, so even though we can close our eyes to what's happening around us (until the point where it lands on our doorstep), are we being selfish in not wanting to sacrifice our status quo for the possible future benefit of our children?

What do we want? We want the opportunity to work hard and earn a decent wage, in return for decent public services, a "UK citizens must come first" attitude, and a lack of intervention from Europe (had to add the Europe thing in again, lol). My husband wants to be able to afford a nice holiday (at the moment we can't because of the Euro), I would like to have a horse again one day, or at least one for my children (my last one got ran over and I've been out of the saddle for 11 years, although I've recently started up again thanks to the "Get Set Go Free" promotion on the back of Nestle cereal boxes! (yes, seriously). We would both like proper seasons, i.e. warm summers and cold, snowy winters. We would both like to live somewhere with beautiful scenery on our doorstep (ok so we have a field of cows, but it's got barbed wire so we can't access it!), a la Canada or Australia (not having to load the car up and drive 3 hours to the Peak District or seaside (where it's always cold, windy and full of chavs or stag dos).

However, I don't think I can stand the thought of moving down under whilst my parents are still alive (if it was Canada they'd probably visit...maybe). I'd never see them again Hence why a job secondment might be a possibility...

I think that, even if we decide that, somehow, the UK IS the best place to raise our kids, we'd still get itchy feet and like to try living elsewhere for a year or so, but to do that would have to be through Sean's work, as that's the only feasible way of doing a 'temporary' move, I think...

You want decent public services and you think that you will find them in Australia, where the govt will put Australian citizens first. Affordable holidays? If you want to visit Bali, the Benidorm equivalent for Australians. A trip to the UK from Australia might easily cost you $10k just in airfares. Why would a move out of the UK be the right thing for your kids, away from family and friends and everything the UK offers, that Australia may not? People's superannuation funds have taken a big hit here, so your future and your children's is not guaranteed. Some people also have negative equity here, or are paying huge amounts of money to get on the housing ladder. Lots of people on here would earn >$100k, but can still struggle, and yes, you can get a proportion of your pay taxed at the maximum rate. Proper seasons? - some parts of Australia might, but lots don't. You can have VERY long drives here in Australia to get somewhere nice. It is very expensive living here compared to when you last visited. Also, life as a backpacker is VERY different to life as a mum in the suburbs.

If your husband got a secondment at some point, give it a whirl, perhaps. Otherwise, try a move to somewhere different in the UK, perhaps - see how it feels moving away from the parents, then try to imagine being 20 hours away on a plane.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll try those. I think Australia's highest tax rate is 37% though, not 50% (or am I thinking of Canada?!).
No it isn't it is 45% +1% medicare and it kicks in a lot sooner than the UK top tax rate. Anyway you have since said your income is likely to be around $100k, so not sure why you would be bothered anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we'd be affected by the benefits cut as it's unlikely we'd ever earn $111k unless I went back to work, and with 3x childcare to pay for I'm not going to do that unless I come out with some loose change at the end of the month! I think child benefit is for everyone in the UK, but you lose your child tax credits if you earn more than £43k (or something like that).

We lived in Melbourne for a few months back in 2004 and loved it, so it's a shame to think about the land surrounding it being built for houses... I hate that. I wish we could all go back to horses and carts and living off the land (I'm a simple person ) I also imagine you bump into a lot of backpackers around every corner in Oz (we were those people 7 years ago!), which of course isn't a problem unless you live next door to a hostel (having been a BPer I know how they like to party...).
I hope your kids have got good teeth in that case. We are on a combined income of circa 130K. Which means we are down the low end of where families are supposed to be totally independent of government benefits we are just on the cusp of the total cut off point, which is very frustrating. We would have spent at least 10 to15K After tax and insurance rebates on our youngest two kids teeth over the last 5 years or so. Its been a real handicap to our disposable income.

In hindsight methinks we would have been better off with either the wife or I working parttime.. we would had to have a more frugal lifestyle... no cable tv, fast internet or gaming consoles galore and would have received max tax breaks and child benefit..

Just to illustrate... we drive a 1998 ford and a 1990 holden barina on that kind of income... as we would rather have a meal out than a later model car. You cant have both down our end of the income range. We probably average 2 to 3 takeaways and 1 meal out a fortnight.

School fees at government schools are at least 5K in total per annum for our younger Two.... In fact my 3rd youngest 17YO daughter is coming back from a school trip to Thailand which cost us 4K in total. She is also a very talented musician...Paying for lessons and courses for that costs us at least 6K per year, no rebates no help... She wants/needs a 8K viola at present.... Which is justifiable as that is the level she is at...Two orchestras away from the Melbourne Symphony. Some of her contemporaries have 10k plus instruments and 50 buck per hour lessons.

I think you could well find it difficult on one wage of 100K here in Aus, compared to where you could be in the UK.

The Government handout that I missed out on that annoyed me the most this year, was the 500 dollar mature age worker bonus. Which you receive at age 55... I was something like 1,500 dollars over the limit... that 1500 dollars was purely Overtime related..

Next years and probably continuing issue, is going to be our youngest 13YO's and only sons newly developed Beau Brummel attitude to clothing... he really cracks it if he doesn't have the most with it clothes. Far more than any of my daughters did... F knows how much that'll cost us in money and arguments.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 3rd 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

private healthcare a la Obama
Not sure what you mean by this...you know we don't have an NHS, right?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you move to aus for pensions. Means tested, asset tested, down to your last painting, chair or designer handbag

Most aussies pensions are in superannuation, you think your parents pensions have dropped, look into superannuation returns the last 3 years ( share market if you cant be assed. )

If self employed/some contracts you even have to pay your own contributions.

Sounds like you are just assuming aus will be 'better' not actually looking into it.

Melbourne property prices ( unless you call a one hour commute "melbourne" ) are beyond crazy.
Research that well too.

As for helath and dental, I will only say one thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Melbourne also seems an amusing choice if you dont like immigrants. Besides what do you think we are ?

And why would 'UK citizens come first' apply in australia??? Thats just weird.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 3rd 2011 at 4:03 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but Australia has so much more land to fill - we're just a wee dot in the ocean!
You do realise that the vast majority of that land is pretty much uninhabitable, right? There's a reason it's still vacant.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I sense an ill-advised, had a few glasses of wine, rambly post that the OP's not now sure how to get out of. Maybe we should give her a break and move along
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I sense an ill-advised, had a few glasses of wine, rambly post that the OP's not now sure how to get out of. Maybe we should give her a break and move along
Think not lovey. She's made the same post in the Canada forum.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:04 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not sure what you mean by this...you know we don't have an NHS, right?
Yes you do! It called the Global Health System....all it costs is a flight to UK and you can have all the medical treatment you want free of charge. That is why we can't afford to run it anymore. The whole world comes to britain to get free treatment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.