Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I raise your bollocks and ask you to cough.
Originally Posted by cresta57
He is South African, we need to make certain allowances for his limited knowledge of great tasting beers. After all SAB did give us such palatable delights as Pilsner Urquell or Castle Lager. Anyone raised on drinking either of those is going to think German or Belgian Beer is the dogs danglies I'm not sure they are even a step up from Fourex maybe more of a sideways shuffle towards Fosters Poor lad
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Just my experiences to date. I reckon that I could tell the difference between a home brew & a retail beer, in a blind taste test. Hard to define exactly what that "essence" is, but it is all in the flavour....

Of course I could be completely wrong and merely imagining this.
What you are probably tasting is a characteristic 'twang' of malt extract which is used in Homebrew kits and by some homebrewers and commercial breweries.

You do not get this if you brew from grain. The methods used are identical to those used by big breweries albeit modified to a much smaller scale.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Just my experiences to date. I reckon that I could tell the difference between a home brew & a retail beer, in a blind taste test. Hard to define exactly what that "essence" is, but it is all in the flavour....

Of course I could be completely wrong and merely imagining this.
The flavour is most definately different, this is the major driver for me to brew my own.
Retail beer now tastes like a blend of chemicals to me rather than beer, and i do not get the hammer like hangover in the morning due to the lack of preservatives in the brew it yourself.

People say, it has a short shelf life, but who keeps beer ?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
It will keep for months, or years, if stored properly.

I use metal kegs under CO2 pressure
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
The flavour is most definately different, this is the major driver for me to brew my own.
Retail beer now tastes like a blend of chemicals to me rather than beer, and i do not get the hammer like hangover in the morning due to the lack of preservatives in the brew it yourself.

Short shelf life? I've got some select bottles of really good home brewed beer that are approaching the 5 year old mark. My dad put 4 out of each brew he made away to determine if they went off or soured the longer they were kept [no I don't understand the logic either] Periodically I chill one down & sample it. Not found a bad one yet, most have improved & are still sparklingly clear.
On the same note I was just given 3 cases of Coopers Stout. The Providore of our local club was doing a stock-take & found that it was "out of date"
Asked if I wanted it, lol stupid question really. When it arrived I put a 6 pack in the fridge & enjoying one later in the evening noticed that there was no use by date or best before date, the date on Coopers Stout is a "Best After"
Their loss = my gain, as once it's left the stockroom, it cannot be returned
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
bollocks
And bollocks to you Knobjuice.

My opinion. Different strokes etc.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I second your "bollocks" and raise it with a "bullshit"
"bollocks" and "bullshit" to you too.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And bollocks to you Knobjuice.

My opinion. Different strokes etc.
Bollocks, Strokes, Knobjuice?

Come again?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Bollocks, Strokes, Knobjuice?

Come again?
Are you the double entendres man now?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:07 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

"bollocks" and "bullshit" to you too.

When I was in the UK I was, primarily, a bitter drinker, so all the lagers I have to put up with now are all a bit 'samey' to me.
Some great beers available in bottles, but less so on draught it seems, or at least in my neck of the woods. I seem to have settled on Carlton or Hahn Super Dry when I'm in the pub.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

When I was in the UK I was, primarily, a bitter drinker, so all the lagers I have to put up with now are all a bit 'samey' to me.
Some great beers available in bottles, but less so on draught it seems, or at least in my neck of the woods. I seem to have settled on Carlton or Hahn Super Dry when I'm in the pub.
Hahn is an okay beer. My standard pub beer is draught Redback Original. TED is alright, as is VB at a push.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

My standard pub beer is draught Redback Original.
Don't think I've seen that one on tap around Brisbane.

If you are into German beers, and in the neighbourhood, a trip here is highly recommended:

http://www.brisbanegermanclub.com/

Over the last 2 or 3 years the costs have gone up a little, you'll be paying $7 or $8 a beer. But prior to that, they had some really well priced drinks in there.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Hahn is an okay beer. My standard pub beer is draught Redback Original. TED is alright, as is VB at a push.
....and you think that shite is better than British beer
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:31 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a gentleman who is quite passionate about beer (this place is a couple of miles up the road from my office and I've been on the "tour" a couple of times).

Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Don't think I've seen that one on tap around Brisbane.
It's a WA beer but I think it is available in other states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.