Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to work before getting a TFN?

Is it possible to work before getting a TFN?

Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:30 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to work before getting a TFN?

Just wondering. If it takes 28 days before I get my TFN does that mean I have to just holiday for a month? I'd really like to work straightaway!

Secondly - just been onto the ATO website. I validated last year and thought that I could apply for a TFN even though I am currently out of the country. No such luck apparently.
Anyone know of a (preferably legal) way around this?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to work before getting a TFN?

Originally Posted by NKSK
Just wondering. If it takes 28 days before I get my TFN does that mean I have to just holiday for a month? I'd really like to work straightaway!

Secondly - just been onto the ATO website. I validated last year and thought that I could apply for a TFN even though I am currently out of the country. No such luck apparently.
Anyone know of a (preferably legal) way around this?
You do need a permanent address to get the TFN. I don't know if you can work, but if you do, you would be clobbered big time for tax. You can't here until you have your NI number so would assume it's the same there.

edit: a month is not a long time, and you presumably will need time to organise your life - medicare, car etc etc etc.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 5th 2005 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You do need a permanent address to get the TFN. I don't know if you can work, but if you do, you would be clobbered big time for tax. You can't here until you have your NI number so would assume it's the same there.

edit: a month is not a long time, and you presumably will need time to organise your life - medicare, car etc etc etc.

I just fancy doing some part time work to pay the bills - I don't really want to waste savings on surviving.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:53 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

You don't need a permenant address for a TFN. You just need an address. We put down our hotel address [informed the hotel first].

We used an internet cafe and received our TFN immediatly from the system once all our details were entered [you need your passport details too if memory serves me correct].

We then changed address details as and when necessary once we found somewhere to live [just ring Tax office up]

So to answer your question; you can use an internet cafe to obtain a TFN by entering your details and using your temp address. You then inform the Tax office when you change address. You TFN is given to you upon entering your details on the computer. This means you can start work straight away and pay the appropriate tax.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
You don't need a permenant address for a TFN. You just need an address. We put down our hotel address [informed the hotel first].

We used an internet cafe and received our TFN immediatly from the system once all our details were entered [you need your passport details too if memory serves me correct].

We then changed address details as and when necessary once we found somewhere to live [just ring Tax office up]

So to answer your question; you can use an internet cafe to obtain a TFN by entering your details and using your temp address. You then inform the Tax office when you change address. You TFN is given to you upon entering your details on the computer. This means you can start work straight away and pay the appropriate tax.

That's a great help - thanks very much!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need a TFN to work - the downside is your employer is entitled to hold back uo to 50% of your wages for tax purposes.

So I have been told anyway.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by manxfamily
You dont need a TFN to work - the downside is your employer is entitled to hold back uo to 50% of your wages for tax purposes.

So I have been told anyway.
Yup, 48.5% if memory serves.