Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible relocation to Oz, Need Advice?

Possible relocation to Oz, Need Advice?

Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Moffstovoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible relocation to Oz, Need Advice?

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me.

My situation: I have been offered the possibility of a short term contract of employment in Australia, probably Sydney and there seems so much I need answers to. I have obviously done plenty of research and asked my recruitment consultant loads of questions but there are one or two things I need to get straight in my mind.

I was advised to apply for a working holiday visa, is this def what I need? I intend to be over for 3-4 months. Will this make my tax rate higher and is there anything else I need to think about regarding this?

If say I was being paid a weekly wage, what should I deduct for tax? Again I have been on endless tax calculators and websites but cant seem to find a straight answer? Let’s say I was earning $1500 a week, what would I expect to be my net income? (I understand you don’t pay national insurance over there, but are there any other deductions other than tax) I worked out my tax may be around 23% but is this correct…..In summary I need to know if I’m earning $1500 what do I actually take home? A breakdown would be excellent?

Another point is what advice can anyone give me on accommodation? Again its short term arrangement so I thought about a house share……..is this a good idea and what areas are nice close to the CBD? Also what is the price range for this arrangement?

Is there anything else I need to consider for a short term move??

Apologies for so many questions, I’m just keen to get organised…..thanks in advance for any advice!!

Gordon.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Possible relocation to Oz, Need Advice?

A lot of useful info on this site.....does anybody have any answers to the above?

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moffstovoi
A lot of useful info on this site.....does anybody have any answers to the above?

Thanks.
Possibly, but you really need to be more patient. You posted at 10 pm Perth time, midnight eastern time so the majority of us were sleeping. You bumped at 6 am Perth time, 8 am eastern, so we were either getting ready for work or still in bed.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

One assumes you are eligible for a WHV?

You may have more luck with questions about Sydney & accomodation, if you post specific threads, there are a great many people who do not read your type of thread purely based on the title.
Have you tried the advanced search tool?

this site may be of use to you http://flatmates.com.au/home.html
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me.

My situation: I have been offered the possibility of a short term contract of employment in Australia, probably Sydney and there seems so much I need answers to. I have obviously done plenty of research and asked my recruitment consultant loads of questions but there are one or two things I need to get straight in my mind.

I was advised to apply for a working holiday visa, is this def what I need? I intend to be over for 3-4 months. Will this make my tax rate higher and is there anything else I need to think about regarding this?

If say I was being paid a weekly wage, what should I deduct for tax? Again I have been on endless tax calculators and websites but cant seem to find a straight answer? Let’s say I was earning $1500 a week, what would I expect to be my net income? (I understand you don’t pay national insurance over there, but are there any other deductions other than tax) I worked out my tax may be around 23% but is this correct…..In summary I need to know if I’m earning $1500 what do I actually take home? A breakdown would be excellent?

Another point is what advice can anyone give me on accommodation? Again its short term arrangement so I thought about a house share……..is this a good idea and what areas are nice close to the CBD? Also what is the price range for this arrangement?

Is there anything else I need to consider for a short term move??

Apologies for so many questions, I’m just keen to get organised…..thanks in advance for any advice!!

Gordon.
For tax use the ATO calculator - http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...14&mfp=001/002

Very simple to use.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If you are under 31 a WHV would allow you to work legally in Australia. You would not be able to bring ane family with you on that visa though.

Also worth noting that leaving UK for just a few months means you remain UK tax resident and the income in Australia will need to be declared to HMRC.

As somebody else said, it generally works better if you don't post all your questions in one place, especially when some are about immigration and some general living.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you are under 31 a WHV would allow you to work legally in Australia. You would not be able to bring ane family with you on that visa though.
457 visa would usually be a better option, it would also preserve WHV eligibility for future use.

Being in Australia for 3-4 months might not make someone tax resident in Australia, which means that only Australia source income would be taxed, but at the higher rates for non-residents. And UK tax would probably still be due, with an offset for Australian tax.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
457 visa would usually be a better option, it would also preserve WHV eligibility for future use.

Yes I would agree that is a better option. Sounds like the company don't want to make much of an effort.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for their responses, and apologies if I came across impatient, was just keen to find out as much as I can.

I take the point about being more specific though so I will create a new thread about the visa situation elsewhere as this and the tax situation are the two things I'm keen to get info on.

Can I just ask if my fiancée is coming with me can both apply for the same type of visa?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can I just ask if my fiancée is coming with me can both apply for the same type of visa?

Thanks again.
Possibly. What visa have you decided upon, 457 or WHV?

As I mentioned in post 6 the WHV is only for you, fiance would have to get her own. She might be able to come on your 457 if you can prove that your relationship is defacto.