Reload this Page >

Possible move to Sydney

Possible move to Sydney

Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

storm808 will become famous soon enoughstorm808 will become famous soon enough
Default Possible move to Sydney

Hi,

I have recently been offered a job in sydney cbd. I wanted some information nice areas where I can rent a two be apartment. My wife will be coming with me. If we do decide to come, what is sydney like for young children as we plan to start a family tooo. I have also been told that if you are not a citizen it is very difficult to buy a property is this true???, as I will be on a sponsored 457 long term visa.

I have a difficult decision to make as I am well settled in the UK but this could be the only chance for me and my wife to take in a flavour of life down under. I need some convincing.....please help

One last thing what are the suburbs quakers hill and glenwood like ??? how long would it take to get to CBD???

Many thanks
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:14 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Sydney

Originally Posted by storm808
Hi,

I have recently been offered a job in sydney cbd. I wanted some information nice areas where I can rent a two be apartment. My wife will be coming with me. If we do decide to come, what is sydney like for young children as we plan to start a family tooo. I have also been told that if you are not a citizen it is very difficult to buy a property is this true???, as I will be on a sponsored 457 long term visa.

I have a difficult decision to make as I am well settled in the UK but this could be the only chance for me and my wife to take in a flavour of life down under. I need some convincing.....please help

One last thing what are the suburbs quakers hill and glenwood like ??? how long would it take to get to CBD???

Many thanks
There is a recent thread on Sydney suburbs, so do a search - I think it was started by Alkrisitanson... (edit : found it - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423516)

General rule of thumb, the more west you go, the less desirable the suburb - although there are exeptions. South (Wollongong, Sutherlandshire etc) are nice and still affordable if you do not mind a bit of a commute.

try www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au for rental prices and http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp for public transport journey times to get an idea of how long it will take you to get in to the CBD.

You can buy a property on a 457, but you need approval from the FRIB (I think) and this, apparently, is not too difficult to obtain. The question should be however, is would you want to buy a house whilst on a visa that if it ended, you would have to leave Australia within 28 days?? Big risk if you ask me.

Good luck, and do some thread searches for answers to most of the common questions.
Steve

Last edited by stevemich; Feb 6th 2007 at 9:17 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:02 am
Mark and T

geordie@oz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Possible move to Sydney

HI there we live in Glenwood and love it, plenty to do in terms of lifestyle its great been here on 457 in 2001 now a permy resident and love it. Please feel free to give us a shout if you want to know more about the area..happy to have a chat.

Cheers
Mark the Geordie and Teresa the Scot ( Both in the IT Game)