British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Possible move to Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/possible-move-perth-926171/)

ssteph13 Jul 3rd 2019 1:34 pm

Possible move to Perth

Hi there,
My partner has been offered a FIFO job with the Downer Group based out of Perth on a two on, one off rotation.
We in the process of making a decision. We have a 9 month old, I am still currently on mat leave in Scotland (Staff Nurse).
How easy has everyone found the process of moving? We spent a year in Brisbane in 2017 and loved it, but obviously much different circumstances. I wouldn’t need to work to begin with, however I want to keep my registration up, so does anyone have agency recommendations? (I worked HCA in Brissy, but I’m aware all cities seem to have a main agency) Are there generally plenty groups for mums/babies etc so I could get to know people? We would rent to begin with, I’ve had a look at suburbs but it’s a minefield.. can anyone shed light on the best suburbs for families? We are from Oban on the west coast of Scotland, so don’t want to be inner city.
I think it’s a great opportunity, but my concern is that I could end up quite isolated due to my partners job.
Any advice would be great! 😄

brits1 Jul 4th 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Possible move to Perth

Hi

I have plenty of experience of.havingy dh working away. We had been in Perth for about 8 years when my husband started to work away, luckily I had good friends and our sons were 14 and 17 at the time, it was hard a first but we adjusted to the situation but I really do believe if you don't have to work away then don't especially with young children 2 -1 sounds good and better than the old 4-1 most use to work but it's two weeks of long hours and when your partner is home on his week off he will want to also rest....and those days fly by. Some friends really enjoyed their husbands working away (most had worked away forever) and some hated it, one guy lasted a week and he had worked for the army prior to his new job. Others enjoyed the lifestyle the income brought and others Notdid a quick fix and left, I really do not know what to advise, it's up to each individual, would I want to do it again....not really, it does change certain things but I can understand why others do not mind. As my dad use to say "you don't get something for nothing". Cannot help with the nursing ..but I wish you all the luck in the world.

Dorothy Jul 4th 2019 8:00 pm

Re: Possible move to Perth

Originally Posted by ssteph13 (Post 12706060)
Hi there,
My partner has been offered a FIFO job with the Downer Group based out of Perth on a two on, one off rotation.
We in the process of making a decision. We have a 9 month old, I am still currently on mat leave in Scotland (Staff Nurse).
How easy has everyone found the process of moving? We spent a year in Brisbane in 2017 and loved it, but obviously much different circumstances. I wouldn’t need to work to begin with, however I want to keep my registration up, so does anyone have agency recommendations? (I worked HCA in Brissy, but I’m aware all cities seem to have a main agency) Are there generally plenty groups for mums/babies etc so I could get to know people? We would rent to begin with, I’ve had a look at suburbs but it’s a minefield.. can anyone shed light on the best suburbs for families? We are from Oban on the west coast of Scotland, so don’t want to be inner city.
I think it’s a great opportunity, but my concern is that I could end up quite isolated due to my partners job.
Any advice would be great! 😄

What visa would you be on? Are you PR already or citizens?