Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible move from Kuala Lumpur to Perth

Possible move from Kuala Lumpur to Perth

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all
Default Re: Possible move from Kuala Lumpur to Perth

My ex sister in Law lives in Clarkson - its further out than Joondalup and its like a mini working class UK but its more affordable than Joondalup - also easy train access to the city (takes just over 30 mins)
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 9:36 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My husband currently works in KL and is always mortified at the cost of things when he is home on leave. You will also find it MUCH quieter here, in fact you may even find it boring compared to KL. Rent is going to cost you $500 per week at minimum for anywhere decent, I spend $300 minimum per week on my groceries. My gas is usually around $180 per quarter. My electric (I have pool and aircon) is average $275 a month over the year. Clothes are expensive, eating out is extortionate in comparison to KL.

Why don't you take a couple of cheap air asia flights and come over for a week to take a look around. I think it would be worth your while.
1. Step one: check if you're eligible for a visa.

2. If yes, then Step two: You'll need to determine the what kind of household income to expect and how much "settling in" money you'll have. NorthernBird's values above are a good high level estimate of living costs to match against income (and they are also a +/- rough estimate for all of the other cities in Australia). You'll also need to buy a car, furniture, lodge rental deposits, etc. I'd say you'll need an absolute minimum of $15k (and that's cutting it very fine, being very disciplined with budgeting and assuming a livable income from day one).

3. If all is well above, then Step three: Check Perth out as mentioned above. Also consider other parts of Australia because opportunities for your hubby's profession might be more bountiful than in Perth.

4. If all is well above, then Step four kick off the application process!

5. Step 5 and beyond: lots of hard planning and work!

Good luck!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Rajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Hi Rajus - We are also a British family who will be moving to Oz and also currently living in Mont Kiara, KL. I certainly wouldnt be worried about the creepy crawlies and snakes - ive seen a cobra in Bukit Kiara - in fact its a snake pit - we even had a snake around our condo the other month - and we live across from Publika - so they are everywhere!!!!!! We visited Perth last Christmas and it was really expensive. We are looking to move Brisbane way next July and although I am the sole worker in Malaysia I know that both of us will have to work in Oz to be comfortable. I am also with you on the crime rate too in KL, I also hate the traffic here - and although I have had a fab time in KL for four years I cant wait to move to Oz - I know ill be much safer outdoors, especially to enjoy my hobby of running. Take the plunge and enjoy!!!
After hearing so many horror stories recently about kidnappings, my main issue is safety for my 3 young children, KL is a great place but i just don't feel safe here anymore, Perth seems like a safer place to live with more of a community feel and the beach is a massive plus for us as taking the kids to the beach doesn't cost a penny! Although i am worried about Sharks!! I will too will need to find a job if we moved just for my sanity and for extra money, do you know how that would work, would i need to apply for a visa when i get there if i got a part time job? Got a bit more research to do first before we take the plunge, but its looking like a better option at the moment, plus the school fees here are ridiculous! Thanks for your input
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Rajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud ofRajus abroad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
My ex sister in Law lives in Clarkson - its further out than Joondalup and its like a mini working class UK but its more affordable than Joondalup - also easy train access to the city (takes just over 30 mins)
Clarkson was another area we were looking at, i think a trip over there is in order just to see what its like and get a feel for the place! Do you know if she enjoys living there are you still in contact with her?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=paulry;11004616]1. Step one: check if you're eligible for a visa.

2. If yes, then Step two: You'll need to determine the what kind of household income to expect and how much "settling in" money you'll have. NorthernBird's values above are a good high level estimate of living costs to match against income (and they are also a +/- rough estimate for all of the other cities in Australia). You'll also need to buy a car, furniture, lodge rental deposits, etc. I'd say you'll need an absolute minimum of $15k (and that's cutting it very fine, being very disciplined with budgeting and assuming a livable income from day one).

3. If all is well above, then Step three: Check Perth out as mentioned above. Also consider other parts of Australia because opportunities for your hubby's profession might be more bountiful than in Perth.

Good luck![/QUOTE
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Rajus abroad;11017768]
Originally Posted by paulry
1. Step one: check if you're eligible for a visa.

Good luck![/QUOTE
My Husband would be issued a temporary 457 visa i think. We would ideally like to go for permanent residency, what would be the best route get 457 visa and once there and working apply for permanent residency, or to go straight for permanent residency? This is all very new to us so excuse me if i sound like i don't know what i'm talking about, cause i don't!! We were thinking of asking for the rental bond plus flights once a year back to the UK as part of the package, not sure if that's possible but its something that we would need paid for!! Can you buy furniture on credit there like you can in the UK and pay it off monthly interest free in a set period of time? Same with a car can you buy a car hire purchase?
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Possible move from Kuala Lumpur to Perth

The drop in humidity has got to be worth the move alone
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:41 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rajus abroad

My Husband would be issued a temporary 457 visa i think. We would ideally like to go for permanent residency, what would be the best route get 457 visa and once there and working apply for permanent residency, or to go straight for permanent residency? This is all very new to us so excuse me if i sound like i don't know what i'm talking about, cause i don't!! We were thinking of asking for the rental bond plus flights once a year back to the UK as part of the package, not sure if that's possible but its something that we would need paid for!! Can you buy furniture on credit there like you can in the UK and pay it off monthly interest free in a set period of time? Same with a car can you buy a car hire purchase?
I suggest you post the visa-related question on the Australia immigration forum - someone should be able to help you identify your visa options there.

Buying stuff on credit? Well you'll need a credit and employment history in Australia to do that. In your shoes (once you have the visa), I would live on a shoestring and improvise every step of the way. With hard work and determination everything will fall into place in time.

Good luck!