Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible move from Brisbane to Melbourne ?

Possible move from Brisbane to Melbourne ?

Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Possible move from Brisbane to Melbourne ?

We have been in Brisbane for 3.5 months now and enjoying it here but don't think it is going to be a place we can call home on a permanent basis, it's just not for us long term. We are going to stay for a year and have a summer here and a few holidays around the area like to the Barrier Reef etc.
I have a possibility of a move to Melbourne in the future with a possible job offer. Does anyone living in Melbourne have any tips on the city and good places to live, i have a friend living in Eltham that looks nice, although we do like living by the sea as we have always been close to the sea even in UK. Would love to hear any info you all might like to share.
Cheers
Mark, Jo and Georgia
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

rcladin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Possible move from Brisbane to Melbourne ?

Originally Posted by greggsy
We have been in Brisbane for 3.5 months now and enjoying it here but don't think it is going to be a place we can call home on a permanent basis, it's just not for us long term. We are going to stay for a year and have a summer here and a few holidays around the area like to the Barrier Reef etc.
I have a possibility of a move to Melbourne in the future with a possible job offer. Does anyone living in Melbourne have any tips on the city and good places to live, i have a friend living in Eltham that looks nice, although we do like living by the sea as we have always been close to the sea even in UK. Would love to hear any info you all might like to share.
Cheers
Mark, Jo and Georgia
hi we've been in melbourne for 6 weeks now and its going okay, if you have buckets of money, live in toorak/prahan/south yarra/st kilda these areas are excellent very close to city and great tranport/trams/trains,

further out you go costs less, over in the west its generally a bit cheaper, places like williamstown are nice and close to the bay, altona is okay, there is a nice bit around pier st.,

if you can afford it pick a suburb in the east withing 10-15km from the cbd, you mostly can't go wrong, but do rent for a while to get your bearings and learn more

also do more research on the web

cheers

good luck if you come to melly
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:20 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We are in Melbourne and love it here. The weather is obviously a bit more varied here than in Brisbane though and has been getting a bit chilly. For more info try BritVics as it's aimed at people just going to Victoria rather than the whole of Australia http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics. Good luck.

Lorraine
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I was just thinking how lovely and warm it is - surprised to find spring already with the blossom starting.

We've just bought about half an hour from the City. There's a new Freeway being built so in two years we should be just half an hour from Frankston.

Evertime I see anyone enquiring on here about where to live the Coast seems the only place mentioned and it really is lovely there but there are other places.

We live near Park Orchards, Warrandyte, Eltham (friendly rural areas with beautiful green countryside, plenty of gum trees, rivers and creeks, bigger blocks and excellent public primary schools) and also near Ringwood, Mitcham, Doncaster, Box Hill (suburbs with closer houses, wider streets, better transport systems & good shopping).

In all the areas you'll find plenty of parks and great services.

If we were starting again I don't know where we'd go but having settled so easily and made lifelong friends so quickly here (I honestly described myself as settled after only 3 weeks once the domestic teething problems - internet connection and power cuts and burst watermains and driving licences and cars, etc..... were sorted out).

So if you're willing to swap walks along the coast for walks along the river give your friends a call and see if you can stay near them at Eltham, then try somewhere on the coast and see where you feel most at home.

Have fun.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:41 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Mark, Jo and Georgia

Hi Greggsy

Cant comment on Melbourne sorry but just thought you might be interested to know that the job you were previously interested in in Richmond is now recruiting again. (we pm'd each other before - I've changed my username). If you're interested let me know and I can pass on some email addresses for you. If not then good luck with the possible move.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Hi Greggsy

Cant comment on Melbourne sorry but just thought you might be interested to know that the job you were previously interested in in Richmond is now recruiting again. (we pm'd each other before - I've changed my username). If you're interested let me know and I can pass on some email addresses for you. If not then good luck with the possible move.
Cheers for that but not interested i am currently working for Boeing as a project planner and want to stay in this type of roll keeps my hands clean thanks again
Mark
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your advice we will be giving it a serious bit of thought over the next few months
thanks again
mark
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:42 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that but not interested i am currently working for Boeing as a project planner and want to stay in this type of roll keeps my hands clean thanks again
Mark

No worries Mark - thought it might be worth mentioning!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rach xxxx
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:43 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flip
I was just thinking how lovely and warm it is - surprised to find spring already with the blossom starting.

Spring's made an appearance here too, a month early. Butterflies, a few flies and the grass is growing.

Sorry, just aimless posting needlessly dragging the topic off course.

Last edited by iPom; Aug 9th 2006 at 11:53 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

No worries Mark - thought it might be worth mentioning!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rach xxxx
How are you getting on there, have you met Bob mackey yet
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:01 pm

How are you getting on there, have you met Bob mackey yet

Nope havent met Bob yet. All going well here - especially now the weather is starting to get better and the days a bit longer. We've treated ourselves to a 4WD and are starting to get into 4x4ing with a lot of the others who work here. They apparently started recruiting ealier in the year back in the UK again and theres another 19 or so coming across! We've also got our PR now which gives us that bit of security!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Nope havent met Bob yet. All going well here - especially now the weather is starting to get better and the days a bit longer. We've treated ourselves to a 4WD and are starting to get into 4x4ing with a lot of the others who work here. They apparently started recruiting ealier in the year back in the UK again and theres another 19 or so coming across! We've also got our PR now which gives us that bit of security!

Just be nice to the environment whilst you're careering through the bush.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by iPom
Just be nice to the environment whilst you're careering through the bush.

Dont worry - we stick to the 4x4 tracks!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Dont worry - we stick to the 4x4 tracks!