Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible cyclone - north Queensland coast

Possible cyclone - north Queensland coast

Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible cyclone - north Queensland coast

Current figures -

84,000 off line, expected to reduce to 77,000 by late tonight - Cairns area.
Power is on in parts of Mareeba and parts of Atherton, Power unavailable in Eacham Shire and Herberton Shire.Innisfail -Total restoration of power expected within a week.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Current figures -

84,000 off line, expected to reduce to 77,000 by late tonight - Cairns area.
Power is on in parts of Mareeba and parts of Atherton, Power unavailable in Eacham Shire and Herberton Shire.Innisfail -Total restoration of power expected within a week.
Let's hope they sort out the sewerage issues as quickly.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:50 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it's the last big one for now. At least Wati moved off elsewhere... .
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:33 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Who is the dipstick you are referring to?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Apart from the dipstick in media that has put in the date as 21 instead of 20 this is the position tonight.......

http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/cdrs...ew.asp?id=1278

And NO NO NO it wasn't me! I was wearing jeans today and looking stressed!! And drinking cold cappucino cos we sent the boss down to buy coffee and the cameras were rolling when he came back, but he didn't want to walk across the room "carrying 12 coffees on a tray & looking like a waitress" to quote him......what wimp, he won't live that one down!
=======================================

PS - though at home, I've just read our latest report. For thse concerned about people in Cairns - there are 80,000 + with no power at this time. Mobile network intermittent, no TV reception though radio is broadcasting.
Cairns Northern Beachs,
Power off includes - Redlynch, Brinsmead, Freshwater, Trinity Beach, Bramston Beach, Tully
Crews now responding to widespread calls for service.

It really is Babinda and Innisfail that got it bad. The pics from there - when they come through - will be horrendous.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:44 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hope it's the last big one for now. At least Wati moved off elsewhere... .
it hasnt moved off shore...its just sitting there will intensify over the next 24hrs and the whole coast from Bowen to Fraser Island will get battered with gales for the rest of the week...then who knows where the ****** thing will go....so no sighs of relief yet
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by biggy
it hasnt moved off shore...its just sitting there will intensify over the next 24hrs and the whole coast from Bowen to Fraser Island will get battered with gales for the rest of the week...then who knows where the ****** thing will go....so no sighs of relief yet
You aint kiddin! Take a look at the rainfall radar!

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR213.loop.shtml
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

G'day folks! (<<brushes hair from eyes, due to HUGE blow dry>>)

All's good here, me and mine are fine. Larry twas a bit scary but we were prepared (food / water / taped the windows up etc) and VERY fortunately and LUCKILY the clone didn't get us directly. Amen to that.

A few minutes for those poor buggars in Innisfail though - many of them have lost EVERYTHING and could be without power for up to 3 weeks - can you imagine that? Could so easily have been us...

Our power went back on at 5pm this arvo, amazing how much youi rely on power without realising it - although I made a damn fine spag bol on the barbie last night, so no grumbles about the catering corp here....

Many thanks to those who know, but especially Pollyana who kept me intouch with the latest info via SMS - I owe you a or two. x

Will reply to the Pms soon, have a HEAP of washing to do and a uni assignment due in ( due date tomorrow ),

Keep smiling, eh folks, we're the lucky ones. x

Piss: If anyone wants to buy a brand new four bed, 2 bath home, huge garden and pool, fully air connned, gourmet kitchen, games room, double garage etc etc...going cheap due to clone freaking me out then send a PM!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you're OK, Leigh and co! Just waiting for Bix to come back now....
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steandleigh

All's good here, me and mine are fine. Larry twas a bit scary but we were prepared (food / water / taped the windows up etc) and VERY fortunately and LUCKILY the clone didn't get us directly. Amen to that.

A few minutes for those poor buggars in Innisfail though - many of them have lost EVERYTHING and could be without power for up to 3 weeks - can you imagine that? Could so easily have been us...

Our power went back on at 5pm this arvo, amazing how much youi rely on power without realising it - although I made a damn fine spag bol on the barbie last night, so no grumbles about the catering corp here....

Many thanks to those who know, but especially Pollyana who kept me intouch with the latest info via SMS - I owe you a or two. x

Will reply to the Pms soon, have a HEAP of washing to do and a uni assignment due in ( due date tomorrow ),

Piss: If anyone wants to buy a brand new four bed, 2 bath home, huge garden and pool, fully air connned, gourmet kitchen, games room, double garage etc etc...going cheap due to clone freaking me out then send a PM!!!!
Glad to hear you guys are all safe and sound!!

Um, is that an indoor pool now?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our power went back on at 5pm this arvo, amazing how much youi rely on power without realising it - although I made a damn fine spag bol on the barbie last night, so no grumbles about the catering corp here..

Many thanks to those who know, but especially Pollyana who kept me intouch with the latest info via SMS - I owe you a

Piss: If anyone wants to buy a brand new four bed, 2 bath home, huge garden and pool, fully air connned, gourmet kitchen, games room, double garage etc etc...going cheap due to clone freaking me out then send a PM!!!! :

Good to have you back Leigh I think you might be let off handing the assignment in on time. Can't you tell them it blew away
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:24 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Another cyclone is apparently heading towards townsville/mackay so lets hope everyone there will be ok.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:32 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad u guys r safe....just need to hunt down Bixie now xxxx
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:51 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/sh1806.gif
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Possible cyclone - north Queensland coast

Good to hear that you're OK!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the concern expressed in our well being folks....really is appreciated.

We lost power, landlines and mobiles so have not been able to communicate.
A third of Cairns was still without power today.

We were able to phone Trish down in Townsville to check what it was like down that end just after the worst of the cyclone had passed but lost the phones soon after.

You'll be glad to know I'm back in business as from today

(Apart from the fact our internet keeps dropping out.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.