Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possible Brisbane Meet????

Possible Brisbane Meet????

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:19 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
I have thought about suggesting / attending a Brisbane meet. However, I find myself in two minds:

1) Meeting fellow immigrants could be fun - we obviously have a lot in common and would have a lot to share and talk about

2) Meeting fellow immigrants would be a negative step when you are attempting full integration into a new culture/society.

I have lent towards (2) so far. However, I do find myself scouring this newsgroup very often.......so........maybe I have some requirement that needs filling. Also, helping somebody else would me a good thing to do.

We move to Brissie at the end of May and we are really enjoying it. This may be a western 1st world country that speaks English....but it is very different than the UK. We are enjoying those differences. Speaking about things being better (some things are! - not that much though!) in the UK would not be constructive.

Does anybody else feel that meeting immigrants or becoming friends with other immigrants may be a bad idea?

Could it make your acceptance of/by the Aussies harder in the long run.

(by the way, I am aware that everybody here is an immigrant, except the abo's)

At the moment I'm not sure. However, my priority is to make new 'Aussie' friends rather than other immigrants.
Spent 4 years in Holland and 4 years in Oz and although I had a lot of friends from those countries enjoyed meeting other brits, never made me negative at all. Apart from the fact that the accent was different never set out to make brit friends. But obviuosly when I heard an English voice did start conversations.
I would love to meet others when I get back to Oz and hope someone will arrange something for after April when I get back
Since being back in the UK have spoken to lots of Ozzy and NZ travelers and when I hear their accent stop and make conversation.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about suggesting / attending a Brisbane meet. However, I find myself in two minds:

1) Meeting fellow immigrants could be fun - we obviously have a lot in common and would have a lot to share and talk about

2) Meeting fellow immigrants would be a negative step when you are attempting full integration into a new culture/society.

I have lent towards (2) so far. However, I do find myself scouring this newsgroup very often.......so........maybe I have some requirement that needs filling. Also, helping somebody else would me a good thing to do.

We move to Brissie at the end of May and we are really enjoying it. This may be a western 1st world country that speaks English....but it is very different than the UK. We are enjoying those differences. Speaking about things being better (some things are! - not that much though!) in the UK would not be constructive.

Does anybody else feel that meeting immigrants or becoming friends with other immigrants may be a bad idea?

Could it make your acceptance of/by the Aussies harder in the long run.

(by the way, I am aware that everybody here is an immigrant, except the abo's)

At the moment I'm not sure. However, my priority is to make new 'Aussie' friends rather than other immigrants.
jwatson, if you dont want to come, then dont. If you have doubts then only you know whats best for you. I dont think anyone is saying that you can only make friends with other expats, this meet is simply an opportunity for anyone out there who wishes to get together to do so. Its like saying that Aussies should only have british friends in the UK etc. I think networking is important & if you at least have a few friends with whom you have a common background, especially in a new country, that can be an enormous help. By the same token just coming along doesnt give you automatic friendships anyway. You may hate everyone who turns up . Its simply a way of meeting other people, expats or otherwise. Totally your decision, as it is everyone elses .

BTW, Im not a british expat, neither is Pollys bloke, so it wont all be one sided anyway .
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I would say is that its not that easy to avoid the expat immigrants - met my next-door neighbour today; she's a Pom - been here 44 years! So does that make her an immigrant to be avoided? Or an Aussie?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:30 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
BTW, Im not a british expat, neither is Pollys bloke, so it wont all be one sided anyway .
Nors my bird (she'd kill me if she ever saw me use the word bird lol )
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane bound...

Hi,

Jan and I are flying out next week to Brisbane. At the moment we are not quite sure where we will be on either of those dates, but if we are in the general location the two of us would love to come along.

Glenn
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:33 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY

my bird is also an aussie.(yes i would also be black and blue)

think this is becoming a bit of a theme

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsDagboy
jwatson, if you dont want to come, then dont. If you have doubts then only you know whats best for you.

of course I will not come if I don't want to!!!! I don't think asking the question is a negative thing....I just wanted to know how other people felt.

I feel it is a valid point. I'm currently undecided.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:34 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooh Im gonna tell on you

Glenn, keep an eye on the board or drop Polly or I an email or PM with email address & we will keep you up to date on the details when they are decided
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:40 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Ooooooh Im gonna tell on you
:scared:

Better make sure we don't make it to Brisbane then !!!

I hear Goondiwindi is nice in summer
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:43 am
Rocket Scientist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwatsonoz
jwatson, if you dont want to come, then dont. If you have doubts then only you know whats best for you.

of course I will not come if I don't want to!!!! I don't think asking the question is a negative thing....I just wanted to know how other people felt.

I feel it is a valid point. I'm currently undecided.
Whatever, I dont think I said anything about it being a negative thing, you asked for other peoples opinions, I gave mine. Sorry to see you're so uptight about it. And sorry that the response I gave wasnt the one that you wanted to hear
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:44 am
Rocket Scientist

:scared:

Better make sure we don't make it to Brisbane then !!!

I hear Goondiwindi is nice in summer
LOL, depends on your definition of nice!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:45 am
earlswood

Personaly I think that meeting other expats is a must, you need support when you first arrive. You have the opportunity to learn from the people who got there before you and pick up mistakes to avoid and pit falls you wouldn't know otherwise

Blending in with the locals will happen on a daily basis it's not like you will go to expats meets every week!!

Just my opinion

Earlswood

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

sorry if i appeared uptight, I did not mean to. I took "don't come if you don't want to" as an expression of your frustration - as the comment is a bit obvious.

No worries

Keep me in the loop, as I'd like the option to come.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:48 am
A Male Member

LOL, depends on your definition of nice!
#

My definition is nice....is that there is'nt a lady in Goondi whos going to get me in trouble on arrival

Arr, thinking about it....i don't really like cotton plants. I'll just have to risk it in Bris

And Earlswood.....well said. Meeting aussies will happen at work, at any clubs etc you might join etc.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:56 am
Rocket Scientist

sorry if i appeared uptight, I did not mean to. I took "don't come if you don't want to" as an expression of your frustration - as the comment is a bit obvious.

No worries

Keep me in the loop, as I'd like the option to come.
No probs, no it wasnt meant like that, yes probably obvious, but wasnt meant in a negative way .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.