positivity!

Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:16 am
dazuk

Default positivity!

i love oz!!!

the range of entertainment outshines thr UK in every way!! I have met many intersting and educated people in ozzie pubs, unlike the UK where people just pump money intp pokies and gamble on greyhound races. I also love the wide range of conversation that the aussies have, unlike the UK where all people talk about is sport and V8 cars. I love the way that international travel is such a cheap and easy option. Whats best is the character of towns so unlike the UK, where there is just miles and miles of non-desript, souless suburbs.

What really makes it for me though, is the fact that aussies love poms and have no chip on their shoulders at all over their colonial past.

Best country is the world!

best wishes all for 2004

Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: positivity!

Originally posted by dazuk
where all people talk about is sport and V8 cars.
Are you one of dotty's mates? Suggest you get some new ones.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:34 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Are you one of dotty's mates? Suggest you get some new ones.
What's wrong with being one of Dotty's mates?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:37 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
What's wrong with being one of Dotty's mates?
According to dotty, all the people that she hangs around with talk about nothing but sport & laybys. Sounds like Daz's mates could be the same people. He needs to get some new ones .
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:47 am
dazuk

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
According to dotty, all the people that she hangs around with talk about nothing but sport & laybys. Sounds like Daz's mates could be the same people. He needs to get some new ones .
Strange that as Dotty is in Brisbane and I lived in Sydney. I also travelled through qld nt sa and victoria. The main topic of conversation in most of the aussies i met was sport, especially when they heard my pom accent. The same must be said of the media in oz too a real feeling that sport is god and everything else a poor second.

I guess im just commenting on the culture shock in store for a brit not used to the sport and large engined car obsessed aussies.

PS and the shitty sterile souless pubs

Oh yeah and dont knock dotty

Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the UK, the country where people do not gamble or talk about the good old days when Britain was great and ruled the world. The British would never harp on about 1966 or constantly knock Australia without ever setting foot down under.

The best thing is they never go on about hotted up Renault 5s that they take down the shopping centre to do public burn outs in front of 14 year old girls that they would not dream of getting pregnant.

Just thought some balance would be in order.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:54 am

Originally posted by dazuk
Strange that as Dotty is in Brisbane and I lived in Sydney. I also travelled through qld nt sa and victoria. The main topic of conversation in most of the aussies i met was sport, especially when they heard my pom accent. The same must be said of the media in oz too a real feeling that sport is god and everything else a poor second.

I guess im just commenting on the culture shock in store for a brit not used to the sport and large engined car obsessed aussies.

PS and the shitty sterile souless pubs

Oh yeah and dont knock dotty
Have you ever been to a Wetherspoons?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Daz, I suggest you spend alot less time in pubs as well as get some new friends .
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:59 am
dazuk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bondipom

The British would never harp on about 1966 or constantly knock Australia without ever setting foot down und

I know, Aussies are so well traveled and would never knock England or indeed anywhere *overseas* despite having never left their home state or even suburb.

Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I ifnd all this crap totally bizarre..

I have found people here VERY friendly. Not oncehave i had a conversaion about cars...yes i have talked about sport, but that was me gloating about the rugby!! And i love the aussies sense of humour.
They are not full of a pompus superiority complex, they take people at face value, and if you can't take a bit of banter with a pinch of salt and give as good as you get, then you've moved to the wrong country as far as i am concerned!!

I love the Aussies, in fact i prefer them to quite a lot of the pompus poms i have come across!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:02 am
dazuk

The best thing is they never go on about hotted up Renault 5s that they take down the shopping centre to do public burn outs in front of 14 year old girls that they would not dream of getting pregnant.

Well i take it you have never been down the m4 corrider then???

Never seen young hoon/wogboys doing doughnuts in parramatta/blacktown and the unfortunate teenage girls who they choose to impregnate??

Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:04 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazuk
Originally posted by bondipom

The British would never harp on about 1966 or constantly knock Australia without ever setting foot down und

I know, Aussies are so well traveled and would never knock England or indeed anywhere *overseas* despite having never left their home state or even suburb.
And the highly cultured pommies that go to Benidorm year on year and always tuck into the Spanish food and never praise the glories of Fish and Chips or the great English breakfast.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:09 am
dazuk

Originally posted by bondipom
And the highly cultured pommies that go to Benidorm year on year and always tuck into the Spanish food and never praise the glories of Fish and Chips or the great English breakfast.
Or the Aussies that move all the way to the uk and decide that going to earls court/shepards bush and hanging around in a walkabout drinkking VB at 3 and a half quid a bottle with other aussies is the UK "experience"?

Oh and of course its sooo cold and expensive and dirty.

why bother

Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

or the poms that got o foreign sporting events and beat the living s**t out of the locals...still..i guess its better than talking sport eh?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:14 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry have I missed the point of this thread? You take a swipe at the lesser elements of the Aussie culture for what reason exactly? Are you here and not happy or have you been and returned?

Yes they are very much a sports culture (I am no sports fan) but they are very friendly people and can talk about many other things.

As I mentioned in a thread of mine we have only been in our house a couple of weeks and I already know more people on the street than I did in 10 years in my last house.

Yes there are hoons etc etc but thats the world over in the developed world.

We have been stunned and amazed by the friendliness and offers of help that we have encoutered.

The gambling culture was definitley a shock but the pokies don't interest me so I don't go there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.