Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

positive new build stories

positive new build stories

Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice
Default positive new build stories

I would really love to hear from anyone who has built and been very pleased with the process and their new home. I really could do with some positive stories on this subject at the moment surely there must be some???
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: positive new build stories

Originally Posted by playbunny75
I would really love to hear from anyone who has built and been very pleased with the process and their new home. I really could do with some positive stories on this subject at the moment surely there must be some???

I know a guy who used to post on here, Flying Banana is building and he is having a dream of a time with it!

His house is going up amazingly quick and he has been onsite regularly to check the quality of the build and he has been extremely happy.

Hope this helps even a little bit
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:35 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

We built and are mostly happy with it. Things we aren't happy with are just little niggles. We couldn't have afforded to buy the house we've built, and couldn't find anything we wanted to buy.

We built with an upmarket project builder. They subcontracted the work out to a different builder and he oversaw the whole job. He was very good, very flexible. Only hiccup we had was lack of good quality painters, but the builder had said that may be a problem right from the beginning. It took 3 months to paint the bloody place, which was frustrating for the builder and for us.

If you are thinking of building, I would say that you should be completely happy with the builder you choose. If you have any doubts at all, go with someone else. See Fraser's threads if you think otherwise!

Jane
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hels
I know a guy who used to post on here, Flying Banana is building and he is having a dream of a time with it!

His house is going up amazingly quick and he has been onsite regularly to check the quality of the build and he has been extremely happy.

Hope this helps even a little bit
I remeber seeing posts before from flying banana it's good to hear all is going really well. It just makes a nice change to hear good stories about building and for people considering building.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
We built and are mostly happy with it. Things we aren't happy with are just little niggles. We couldn't have afforded to buy the house we've built, and couldn't find anything we wanted to buy.

We built with an upmarket project builder. They subcontracted the work out to a different builder and he oversaw the whole job. He was very good, very flexible. Only hiccup we had was lack of good quality painters, but the builder had said that may be a problem right from the beginning. It took 3 months to paint the bloody place, which was frustrating for the builder and for us.

If you are thinking of building, I would say that you should be completely happy with the builder you choose. If you have any doubts at all, go with someone else. See Fraser's threads if you think otherwise!

Jane

I know all about fraser's build we started the process at the same time but our house still has yet to get started so feeling pretty fed up with the whole thing so just wanted to hear from people that were pleased they built thanks for your comments
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:59 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I know all about fraser's build we started the process at the same time but our house still has yet to get started so feeling pretty fed up with the whole thing so just wanted to hear from people that were pleased they built thanks for your comments
Who are you building with? Here in Queensland if the builder is using the standard Queensland builders contract, they have to start within a specified time from the contract date.

Can you back out without penalty if they don't start within a certain time?

Hope things start looking up soon.

Jane
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:48 am
Just Joined

willo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the rough

Went to buy a house up here near noosa and found we had to pay for someone elses effort so took the plunge and choose a good reputable builder we picked a standard plan but made BIG changes to plan ie increased floor plan changed direction of house ect they where great providing quotes before signing on anything, was amazed to see the whole thing going up before our eye, we were on site to check progress and quality and can only say we are CHUFFED the builders were very professional and on time!!!! by adding our swimming pool and having it valued we are already 200k in 4mths over what we have spent, looking forward to the garden maturing. willo x
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people are happy with 'new builds' , we have people who have built 2/3 times with us, they wouldn't do that if they were not very happy, we had on pom/aussie expat couple we built 4 times for. However we do not churn out houses by the hundred, each house is individually designed for the land, no two houses are ever the same and if people want a cheap home or want to start cutting corners were not interested. I think thats probably the key to it all you get exactly what you pay for and building properly is not cheap.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Lots of people are happy with 'new builds' , we have people who have built 2/3 times with us, they wouldn't do that if they were not very happy, we had on pom/aussie expat couple we built 4 times for. However we do not churn out houses by the hundred, each house is individually designed for the land, no two houses are ever the same and if people want a cheap home or want to start cutting corners were not interested. I think thats probably the key to it all you get exactly what you pay for and building properly is not cheap.

I think that is key!! With no matter what...you get what you pay for!!

playbunny75, Flying Banana's build started a week or so after Frasers and from what he tells me its at Lock Up as of today!! Plastering starts on Monday.....From memory, he is also building with Porter Davis.