Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Positive & Negative

Positive & Negative

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Positive & Negative

A few of the recent posts have gone mad, and I think its very easy to get caught up in the arguments, I do all the time, but although I may somtimes be negative about Perth I also think there are a lot of positive points.

I remember reading the forum before we migrated and the last thing we wanted to read while in the last stages was the negative stuff. The jitters are bad enough without anyone adding to them. I have had the arguments with PB and others about negativity, look back at my early posts. !!

Before coming here I looked on the internet sites did my research, built www.movingdownunder.co.uk from websites I found and visited. I also read this bloody forum and what becomes apparent is the people that were posting were giving some great advice, I think it was some of Dottys posts that changed the way we viewed a lot of our plans, and now with hindsight the advice and information saved us a lot of money.

At the time we viewed Dotty (sorry for using you as example Dotty) PB etc. as being totally negative but from the negatives came positives, does that make any sense. Now I am here I read the posts and see straight away what they are saying.

But at the end of the day there is no substitute for experience, you have to come here and find out for yourself. There are a lot of downsides to living here but equally a lot of positives, for some the positive outweighs the negative and vice versa. Same as UK or any other place.

If any of my posts have had such a negative affect on anyone that they would consider not coming here I apologise, for that is never my intention. I say it as I find it no hidden agenda, no degree in grammar or English so dont always get my point across as I would like.

Not sure who posted it but anyone who thinks the place is so bad should go home. If I didnt like being here I would leave no matter what it cost.

Also someone said the only people posting from Australia had no life, were sad etc. You know the script. However was it not for these people you would have no information. !! you would not benefit from others experience good and bad, and I think its pretty balance overall. I sincerley hope that some of you that have used the forum for information will return the favour and with luck, post positive accounts of Oz / NZ when you get to the other side.

Somtimes what is said is taken the wrong way, example as used in some post somewhere, supposing there is a post saying I am coming to Perth for the better weather and someone replies the weather in Perth has been crap here for three months. That would be taken as negative. But the bod in Perth knows what the weather has been like. What does not get said is during that 3 months we had some cracking days. By the end of the thread the original post has been twisted and exagerated into Perth never has good weather. !!

Donna posted trying to get Social Work job in Perth was very difficult and the next thing we know its turned into a war. The fact is for a 36 year old highly experienced qulaified (very sought after in UK) child care Social Worker getting work here is not easy. Thats not a negative post thats fact as she found it to be.

Anyway lets see how this thread ends up no doubt someone will find a way of twisting it into a negative post.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your post and may you continue posting your account of life in Perth whatever it may be.

footie chick
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karawara,

I agree with you that it isn't easy to get opinions across the net the way we would like, it's open to interpretation. Everyone should be able to post what they like without it being offensive to anyone else. I think your posts are valuable to those of us who haven'y got their yet and you should continue to post what you see to be true, as your own personal take on it.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Karawara, what an excellent post. I have only got one thing to say - are you nocturnal?
Debs
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

are you nocturnal?
I think I might be. !! don't usually get to sleep until 5am, we are right opposite Perth Zoo and the bloody racket from the birds is unreal. They shut up around 5 - 5.30am. Donna sleeps right through it.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Karawara - your posts are valuable and honest, not biased really in either direction.
Like the website too - lots of good info!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks K88 for such a well written post.

Donnas honest post about job prospects was brushed under the carpet, people called negative and then "Dr Phil" comes on and starts telling us to post happy thoughts. Not one person from the Uk acknowledged what the whole point was, (Job prospects not as expected.)

A few months ago I posted on here that I had never seen many posts on what people were going to do for a living, yet I could find thousands on beaches and houses free parks and BBQ's weather etc. Isnt that a little strange for a bunch of adults many of whom have never been here who will have to support a family here.

I think its time the moderator started a "Pep talk forum for people who want to chat exclusively about the ups of OZ" That way they are not going to get offended by the real live people who post here living real lives in real OZ.

People cant expect to keep coming on here, picking up useful info from us but whining everytime somebody posts a few home
truths.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

K88 great post informative indeed Chris sorry to hear about the
birds though.Yes most postings are read objectivly good points
and bad points as we all need to know,but as has been said in the last couple of days is one mans meat is another mans poison,this must be kept in mind at all times.

It is when these discussions become name calling,bitterness and what can only be called slagging off,of which I myself has been guilty of at times.This is when the plot of a good posting such as this one loses it's way.
Take a chill pill be happy
Chris&Row.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a rest Dotty. You've covered this, we have it embedded into our thick heads!!!

Whisky
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default positives???

We don't post often but we sure read a lot of whats said. i find the negatives useful in making me think it all through. I love oz, i've only been 3 times but i was hooked from the first morning 12 years ago!
life is full of pluses and minuses and being in England now there's plenty to be negative about and good stuff too.
At the end of the day i still will take the negative and give oz the best shot i've got. Be prepared to work hard and enjoy the positves that come along. if it all comes off
I enjoy all the flak flying and how some posters get really into the subjects. It makes the read more enjoyable and i've learned so much after such a short time!!
hope to hear much more and maybe contribute some useful info, good or bad:lecture:
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Dotty that if you want to pick up top tips and good info, then you have to be prepared to except that those living out there ARE experiencing the " real " Oz, but I do think it should be written in a pleasant way, not condecending to those who are yet to experience it for themselves.

Also keep in mind that what one person finds good in life might not be someone elses idea of good.

A lot of forum posters are getting up in arms about being " nice ", about wanting to hear only the positives and not the negatives, I myself have done it too - on bad days when I've felt sorry for myself (!).

None of us have to live life as a carbon copy of someone elses, each of us will go our own way and find what makes us happy - that is the diversity of life which makes us human and far more interesting than amoeba.

To criticise someone for wanting to hear the good - shame on you - think your own thoughts, whatever they may be, but only say " fair enough ". Likewise, to criticise someone for posting what they believe to be a true reflection of life in a foreign country as they see it and experience it - then shame on you too.

Who can say what is right and wrong? Not me.

Leigh. x

( Holding up the white flag and just wanting to get some good advice, make some friends and enjoy what is fastly becoming a stressful process ).
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:57 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by steandleigh
Hi Karawara,

I agree with you that it isn't easy to get opinions across the net the way we would like, it's open to interpretation. Everyone should be able to post what they like without it being offensive to anyone else. I think your posts are valuable to those of us who haven'y got their yet and you should continue to post what you see to be true, as your own personal take on it.
Totally agree,

I either sound like a rose tinted fairy!!!! or illiterate!!!!!.
But, I for one have gained allot of useful info from this forum, who can tell wether it will work for one set of people and not another, I have quite a few friends who have already made the big move to Oz /NZ and some are not enjoying their new lives for sooooo many different reasons, things have changed quite allot financially over the past year or so when we first started out on this journey mainly the dollar getting stronger and the house prices booming, but if you do as much research as you possibly can and go with your eyes wide open you can but try.
Keep posting everyone
Suz
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Give it a rest Dotty. You've covered this, we have it embedded into our thick heads!!!

Whisky
Its just a tad like listening to a broken record isnt it whisky .
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Before we came out here in January, I used to read this forum and as I've said before used to thing PB & Dotty spoke a lot of bollocks, I mean how could there be anything negative about this place I was giving up my security to go to!! Anyway I used to read the posts and not take much notice. It's only when you arrive that you start to remember the things pointed out and they begin to make sense. I was glad that I had read these posts cos when I encountered various situations is wasn't such a shock or surprise to find that "these things do happen"

They are not designed to put people off, maybe if you are not 100% sure then they might have that effect but we are here to offer help and assistance and an insight into the good and bad.

From what I see the forum gives a balance of both, it's just the bad points seem to end up in a slanging match but it's all good for the soul!

There are loads of people who use this forum who come out and we never hear from them again. Probably many reasons for this,
but don't think that the people in Auz only post cos we are unhappy, bullshit! Hopefully you guys will continue to contribute when you arrive to give an even bigger picture of this huge amazing country.

PS I had my first strawberry off me little plant yesterday. Soo sweet n' tasty!!

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.