Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Positive feedback???

Positive feedback???

Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:10 pm
Sarah266

Default Positive feedback???

Hi Folks,
I've been trawling through this web site for a while now and am finding it difficult to find people/families that actually like the choices they've made in moving to Australia.
Now that could be because they are out there getting on with their life to sit writing about it on this site, unlike those folks that are unhappy, so have nothing better to do but write it all down.
So a quick question, is anyone on this site happy/pleased/content with the choice they made.
I know we aren't talking about the folks that thought they would be loaded and maintain a lavish lifestyle, but those whose quality of life has improved somewhat - i.e family etc.
Regards Sarah x

Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:16 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Positive feedback???

Originally posted by Sarah266
Hi Folks,
I've been trawling through this web site for a while now and am finding it difficult to find people/families that actually like the choices they've made in moving to Australia.
Now that could be because they are out there getting on with their life to sit writing about it on this site, unlike those folks that are unhappy, so have nothing better to do but write it all down.
So a quick question, is anyone on this site happy/pleased/content with the choice they made.
I know we aren't talking about the folks that thought they would be loaded and maintain a lavish lifestyle, but those whose quality of life has improved somewhat - i.e family etc.
Regards Sarah x
Hope your stays are of steel, brace yourself for the Attack of the Killer Poms.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:24 pm
Sarah266

Megalania, you are a sad person.

Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:28 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Megalania, you are a sad person.
Nup, Nup, Nup!
Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:29 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hi Folks,
Regards Sarah x
We are actually VERY pleased with the choices we made. We came on a 2 year work contract, decided to stay for 2 years, have now been here for 2 years and as planned we return to UK in a couple of weeks. Its been great, Sydney is a great place to live. Just not forever for us (but forever for so many others).
Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:31 pm
Sarah266

Herman, i'm glad to hear you've had a good time and experience.
I didn't think it was all bad....or all good. But a bit of both. This web site is very one sided.
Sarah

Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:49 pm
Banned

Herman, i'm glad to hear you've had a good time and experience.
I didn't think it was all bad....or all good. But a bit of both. This web site is very one sided.
Sarah
'Tis the Wailing Wall.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 10:56 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
'Tis the Wailing Wall.
'Tis the the Pom's right of passage...
Old Apr 1st 2003, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

actually i think you're wrong

this site is very fair and even handed..

sure there are those who don't/didn't like au but we need them here to keep our feet on the ground

I for one welcome their input -don't forget they are the ones actually there not us...

however

everyone i meet seem to love -or at least like- australia.

i know two english blokes who

both lived/worked there for several years
both married australian girls
both got 1+ year old boy's
both came back because their wife wanted to see the world etc
both sets go to the same gym
(getting spooky)

but they don't know eachother...

one couple heading back to the gold coast in august
the other say they will be here for another 2 yrs max then back to their house in brisbane

just enjoy pb's posts and delete them from your mind ..

besides no one here can't say 'why didn't someone tell me the bad things'

cheers

richard
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks,
Regards Sarah x
Hi Sarah
We have been here since January and so far are very happy with the choice we made. I couldn't agree more that the people who spend all day moaning on this site obviously have no life.
Almost all of my husbands immediate family have emigrated over the last 15 yrs and although it's far from Utopia I still firmly believe it's a better place to bring up kids.
So don't despair at what you read here as it most definately is one sided.
Cheers
Susan
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 2:27 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,
happy/pleased/content with the choice they made.
Regards Sarah x

Define quality of life its near impossible , I think you can enjoy anywhere you live but feeling at home is important.
The saying that sums it up for me is "Life is something you live while planning something else" not unlike most on this site.
Australia is no uptopia but neather is the UK its easy to see the down side of both theres no escape by getting on a plane and expecting a change for the better this end .
If people in any country were asked where they would like to live , how many would say where they are living now ,we all dream of more could be its better to settle nowhere and live everywhere.

Old Apr 2nd 2003, 8:17 am
Just Joined

lindy is an unknown quantity at this point

being at the beginning of our journey, I do not have all the answers but when we went to Africa, we came to the conclusion that the grass is not greener on the other side but it is a different shade!! I am presuming hat any problems that we have in the Uk will disappear when we move but only to be replaced by new ones, but this is what gives you fulfillment and challenge.
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

if any other person says 'the grass isnt greener on the other side' im gonna make sure they see no more grass apart from lying 6 foot under a patch in a lovely church yard

the grass is as green as you make it and as high as you grow it or as low as you cut it

its not problems im leaving in th uk its new challenges im experimenting with

i do not know the correct amount of people who migrate to australia each year, lets say 100,000, and over the last 10 years lets say 1 million. out of this amount there are 4 maybe 5 people on this forum who hate it, work out the percentages, then decide for yourself

whilst spending 12 months in oz i found no ex pats who did not like the change and the country, thats because the ones who dont like it sit at home on their pc whinging about it

lifes not a rehearsal, live it now
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 8:59 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by danjon16
if any other person says 'the grass isnt greener on the other side' im gonna make sure they see no more grass apart from lying 6 foot under a patch in a lovely church yard

the grass is as green as you make it and as high as you grow it or as low as you cut it

its not problems im leaving in th uk its new challenges im experimenting with

i do not know the correct amount of people who migrate to australia each year, lets say 100,000, and over the last 10 years lets say 1 million. out of this amount there are 4 maybe 5 people on this forum who hate it, work out the percentages, then decide for yourself

whilst spending 12 months in oz i found no ex pats who did not like the change and the country, thats because the ones who dont like it sit at home on their pc whinging about it

lifes not a rehearsal, live it now
So true...I work with several second generation Poms. Asked 'em today if they hankered for the mother country...they are both in their late '40's early 50's...as they arrived many years ago I had guessed the response...but none the less...after the strange stares they answered...NO???

Asked...what about your parents???...did they go back...NO???

My grandparents came from Glasgow...from the pits to what was then paradise...if they were alive now and I asked that question of them...my ears would be ringing for a week. Hard Scots, who made great Australians, worked hard and died here without regret. They were pioneers. Those days are gone and Glasgow is not what it was...nor is Australia.

I miss 'em...their guts, determination, and spirit. Old fella died working in the sawmill at Malanda at the age of 73, crushed by a log. Went home...no complaint...took his shirt off that night and was black and blue from groin to neck...died 3 days later. The old girl was gutted. Brought into this world 12 boys, 2 twins dead at birth, 2 girls. Went blind and died a few years later...No complaints, no regrets...I miss 'em.
Old Apr 2nd 2003, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

We've been living near Sydney for a year now and still love it. We feel very much at home and have made many friends. Husband has landed a good job and kids are in a good school. I have plenty to do having volunteered for various things at the school and have now taken up horse riding again (fantastic places to ride here). I really feel like we are living our life now rather than planning, but my god the time dun arf go quick when you are living your life!! There are still many things we haven't done around here and we have the rest of our lives now to tour this huge country, really looking foward to discovering it. Haven't really found much to moan about yet but then we are only 'newbies'!! mind you I don't like the amount of Maccies and Kfc's etc there are here, its rediculous some are within a few hundred metres of each other!!

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.