Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Positive Experience Re importing classic bike

Positive Experience Re importing classic bike

Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:19 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Positive Experience Re importing classic bike

I just thought I would share our positive experience importing our classic bike from NZ to OZ.

A bit of background 1st. We are originally from the UK. Whilst living in NZ my stepfather gifted us his Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica, great bike but in need of some TLC (needs stripping and restoring) we owned it for about 2yrs in NZ although it was never registered in our name there or put on the road. Anyhow we were moving to OZ and obviously we had to bring it with us.
I looked into personal imports but the documentation required were purchase documents (got none!) and overseas registration in our name (got none of those either). So I looked into importing under vehicles built before 1/1/1989 and we didn't need to supply any of the above, just ID. So off it went, I just included a history of how we came to own the bike, an email declaration from my stepfather saying he had gifted it to us and any other bit of paper I had and import appoval was given.
We took delivery of our belongings late early Feb but the shippers kept the bike for customs valuation etc. We have been kept pretty much in the dark as to whats going on but we got a phone call last week to say customs have decided there is no duty to pay and we get delivery next week.

So despite being a very protracted affair its a great outcome, because we were expecting some kind of duty/fee.

So if anyone is contemplating importing a classic bike, our experience was not too bad.
I am sure if we get round to restoring it, putting it on the road won't be so simple!!!

Paula