Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portuguese man o'war

Portuguese man o'war

Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:57 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Portuguese man o'war

Seems like a pretty grand title for what is effectively just a 'Tiny Blue Bag O'Wind'. Found out why though, on Saturday on the central coast.

About 50m out with the bodyboard, I'd just wiped out trying to kneel on the damned thing, and evidently got washed through a shoal(?) of the little bastards. If there isn't an accepted collective pronoun for a group of these pointless little sods I'd like to suggest 'arsehole'.

Anyway, got one wrapped around my left forearm, one round my right knee, two round the waist - incredibly finding the gap between rashy and boardies, and various random stinging cells all over me. It's a bit like being attacked with poison darts from all directions; or at least what I'd imagine that to feel like!

After the initial panic scraping the damned things off (and hence stinging the hands), I struck out for shore, catching my best wave of the day, staggered out of the water ripping off the sting-infested clothing to the surprise and amusement of other beachgoers, and wandered what the hell to do next.

Staggered stiffly up the beach (wrapped in a towel by now) and collapsed in the car while the mrs went to raid the nearest chip shop for their vinegar. Felt pretty ropey for the next half hour, vision went a bit blurred and felt really cold, but I suspect that's mostly to do with shock. Symptons seemed to subside within an hour though, so we were on our way.

I noticed this morning, two days later, that the affected areas have quite a serious rash, which itches like hell. I've necked a couple of antihistamines and plastered the area in some cream the chemist whipped up which is causing an improvement, but I just thought I'd post up the warning for anyone who's not familiar with these little blighters.

Not sure if I have more of an allergic reaction to these things than most, but I for one will not be going in the water while these things are about without a full skin suit from now on!

Also, if anyone has tips on how to get rid of the rash left by it a couple of days later, they'd be gratefully received!

Cheers,
Alex
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:19 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Portuguese man o'war

Hiya Alex,

sounds painfull, any chance of a pic of the rash to see what you are dealing with?

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:28 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Alex,

sounds painfull,
Well it was, no more than irritating now.

Originally Posted by markeh
any chance of a pic of the rash to see what you are dealing with?

Bye
Mark
Er, no.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:10 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Alex,
I guess the vinegar helped then.
Glad to hear it is calming down.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

Oh my! I am glad you're all right.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:30 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

Cheers. Apparently the treatment of choice of the NSW SLSC is a hot-as-you-can-bear shower, but vinegar seemed pretty effective in neutralising the remaining stingy bits. I wonder if a barrier cream like e45 might be any use against them? Can't really wear a full face mask as well....
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4lex
Cheers. Apparently the treatment of choice of the NSW SLSC is a hot-as-you-can-bear shower, but vinegar seemed pretty effective in neutralising the remaining stingy bits. I wonder if a barrier cream like e45 might be any use against them? Can't really wear a full face mask as well....
There are 2 types of blue bottles. One type gives stings that can be deactivated by vinegar, the other makes the stings worse. The types of blue bottles are indistinguishable therefore vinegar should not be applied. This is what I was taught on a first aid course. The hot shower is recommended to minimise the effects of the poison.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like a pretty grand title for what is effectively just a 'Tiny Blue Bag O'Wind'. Found out why though, on Saturday on the central coast.

About 50m out with the bodyboard, I'd just wiped out trying to kneel on the damned thing, and evidently got washed through a shoal(?) of the little bastards. If there isn't an accepted collective pronoun for a group of these pointless little sods I'd like to suggest 'arsehole'.

Anyway, got one wrapped around my left forearm, one round my right knee, two round the waist - incredibly finding the gap between rashy and boardies, and various random stinging cells all over me. It's a bit like being attacked with poison darts from all directions; or at least what I'd imagine that to feel like!

After the initial panic scraping the damned things off (and hence stinging the hands), I struck out for shore, catching my best wave of the day, staggered out of the water ripping off the sting-infested clothing to the surprise and amusement of other beachgoers, and wandered what the hell to do next.

Staggered stiffly up the beach (wrapped in a towel by now) and collapsed in the car while the mrs went to raid the nearest chip shop for their vinegar. Felt pretty ropey for the next half hour, vision went a bit blurred and felt really cold, but I suspect that's mostly to do with shock. Symptons seemed to subside within an hour though, so we were on our way.

I noticed this morning, two days later, that the affected areas have quite a serious rash, which itches like hell. I've necked a couple of antihistamines and plastered the area in some cream the chemist whipped up which is causing an improvement, but I just thought I'd post up the warning for anyone who's not familiar with these little blighters.

Not sure if I have more of an allergic reaction to these things than most, but I for one will not be going in the water while these things are about without a full skin suit from now on!

Also, if anyone has tips on how to get rid of the rash left by it a couple of days later, they'd be gratefully received!

Cheers,
Alex
Sounds scary and painful.......
Glad you are better now

I was on Williamstown beach the other evening and there were lots of blue coloured jellyfish lying about on the shore - about the size of a big dinner plate - any idea what they were and whether likely to be dangerous?

Cas
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:07 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Alex

Portuguese Man-o-war or Bluebottle (Physalia sp.)

Physalia physalis
Portuguese man-o-war
(Photo ?)

The Portuguese man-o-war or bluebottle, (Physalia sp.), is well known throughout Australian waters (and both the pacific and Atlantic oceans) for causing painful stings. No fatalities have been confirmed in Australia. The float measures 2-15 cm. The main or fishing tentacle may be up to 10m long and is responsible for most of the stings. The larger Atlantic specimens probably represent more of a threat to human life. The venom contains lethal and haemolytic components and has been shown to produce nerve conduction disturbances, flaccid paralysis and smooth muscle contraction in experimental animals. In human envenomation, pain is the most prominent feature, along with localized skin lesions with a "string of beads" appearance; discrete weals surrounded by erythema. Systemic symptoms are uncommon but may include headache, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain and occasionally collapse. First aid consists of removal of the tentacles, preferably with forceps. Vinegar is not recommended. Analgesia may be required, although most stings respond to ice packs and/or topical anaesthetic agents.

http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruw...i.htm#Physalia

It usually best to know what to do before the event

Hope your ok now, have a few of these
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:06 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

Thanks all. Normally have some ice down at the beach, and will make a point of having vinegar too, though in light of the above posts I'll test it out on a small area before dousing myself in it, if I'm caught out again!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:10 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Cool Re: Portuguese man o'war

Thanks all. Normally have some ice down at the beach, and will make a point of having vinegar too, though in light of the above posts I'll test it out on a small area before dousing myself in it, if I'm caught out again!
Vinegar used to be used by the Queensland Surf Lifesavers but has been dropped in favour of ice. Recommendation is stay out of the water if bluebottles are about! However, if stung, put icepacks on the affected area/s.

There's your excuse for keeping an esky full of beer on ice nearby!!

Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they stay smallish in Aus waters?

When we were in Tunisia, there was an enormouse b*gger that killed a local out fishing. Another fisherman caught it and we saw it on the beach - put the fear of god up us and it was dead by that time.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:37 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Would a full body wetsuit have protected you from the stings on your body or can they sting you through the suit?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:59 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elksa
Would a full body wetsuit have protected you from the stings on your body or can they sting you through the suit?

I dont think they can sting through a wet suit, if you go out in theqld waters during stinger season they give you a stinger suit, very fetching item of clothing if you want to look like a beached whale but it is only as thin as a normal swimming costume
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Sounds scary and painful.......
Glad you are better now

I was on Williamstown beach the other evening and there were lots of blue coloured jellyfish lying about on the shore - about the size of a big dinner plate - any idea what they were and whether likely to be dangerous?

Cas
Hi Cas
There wa a story about this in the Herald Sun last week. I cant remember what species they were but they had made people quite poorly - apparently a school trip had gone to the beach at Chelsea and several pupils had sickness from the jellyfish. I'll try and find the article.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.