Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portable GPS for car

Portable GPS for car

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Portable GPS for car

hi guys,

GPS newbie here...

have seen many specials on GPS navman (3.5" screen) for cars....prices as low as $280 only at wowwicked.com.au....sounds like a good idea when you have no idea where you are going...

are these cheap models any good? i figured the portable ones are better so it doesnt get stolen.....

appreciate any advice...

thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:56 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: Portable GPS for car

I would highly recommend the cheap portable type

I have a cheap kogan (it uses the nokia software) and it cost me $280 a year ago and hasn't missed a beat yet.

the tomtom has the advantage of more maps available on channel BT

as long as you are happy with the basic functions and don't need anything besides the navigation, you should be good.

afaik as long as you have the sirfstar III chip in it the reception of satellites is as good as any.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derab
I would highly recommend the cheap portable type

I have a cheap kogan (it uses the nokia software) and it cost me $280 a year ago and hasn't missed a beat yet.

the tomtom has the advantage of more maps available on channel BT

as long as you are happy with the basic functions and don't need anything besides the navigation, you should be good.

afaik as long as you have the sirfstar III chip in it the reception of satellites is as good as any.
We finally got round to getting a TomTom Go 720. It really came into it's own on a recent trip to QLD. Absolutely fantastic going to a completely new place and not having to worry about maps!

An added bonus is that I use mine every day as a speedo. With the GPS reading 100kmh my speedo reads 107.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Have bought a Nokia N95 8GB as it comes with Sat Nav\GPS - now I just have to figure out how to use it
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by obiwan
hi guys,

GPS newbie here...

have seen many specials on GPS navman (3.5" screen) for cars....prices as low as $280 only at wowwicked.com.au....sounds like a good idea when you have no idea where you are going...

are these cheap models any good? i figured the portable ones are better so it doesnt get stolen.....

appreciate any advice...

thanks!
THE BEST SINGLE PURCHASE YOU WILL EVER MAKE AS A MIGRANT.

Forget about a house being the most important purchase of your life......... forget that!

When it comes to sat nav, you generally cant go wrong.

We did it on tthe cheap. Looked on ebay for a PDA with sat nav kit. Then got someone on ebay australia to send me a SD card with the tom tom australia on for about10 quid delivered.

All in all cost about 90 quid delivered.

We have been to melbourne syd bris and newcastle looking for houses. We had a list and a map wiith a circular route of houses then just punched in town, street and number and let jane do all the talking. Dont worry if you come to a funny intersection and cant decide which left they mean. Juyst pick one and if its wrong it re routes in no time.

We must have looked at 200 houses in syd bris mel and newc and didnt argue once about directions. It was utter bliss.

Purchase one now, youll never ever regretr it, and wonder how you got about before.

I recently sat on mine and broke it. Then i dropped my motorbike one and ruined 2 in one week LOL.

I had to go somewhere foreign to me the next week and use maps at every traffic light and junction and remebered the good old days!

Forget the missus map reading, the tom tom way is the best way to relax. Especially in a new country.

THANKYOU TOM TOM AND JANE THE NAVIGATOR LOL!!!

New one on order!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny Devon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by obiwan
hi guys,

GPS newbie here...

appreciate any advice...

thanks!
We just went to our local phone shop and got the 30 bucks deal that came with a free Nokia 6110 Navigator.So we have a new mobile phone and package with a GPS chucked in for nothing
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sunny Devon
We just went to our local phone shop and got the 30 bucks deal that came with a free Nokia 6110 Navigator.So we have a new mobile phone and package with a GPS chucked in for nothing
Well i just went to BigW and bought a Binatone Carrera X350 for $198.

Haven't ried it out yet but the maps are made my Navteq.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:51 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a Tomtom sommit or other in the first few weeks of arriving. Apart from it getting a little confused now and then, it's been excellent and is currently still being shared between three of us.

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Have bought a Nokia N95 8GB as it comes with Sat Nav\GPS - now I just have to figure out how to use it
I've got the previous N95 with Aussie map installed. I've also got the Thailand map installed which came with it, which is handy! ... I tried the free trial and it was slow compared to the Tomtom and was VERY fussy with addresses so didn't buy the licence - $100 odd for the year.

I can still use it to pinpoint addresses and stuff, but just can't use the actual navigation feature. Might buy the licence one day as it IS handy being on the phone ...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies guys!! glad to know that indeed they are very important and i should get one right away....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wullieb1
Well i just went to BigW and bought a Binatone Carrera X350 for $198.

Haven't ried it out yet but the maps are made my Navteq.
thats a good price, didnt know the price was already sub-$200...

hope you can post if it performs up to your expectations once you have tested it...