Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

portable evaporator cooler - type of air conditioner

portable evaporator cooler - type of air conditioner

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default portable evaporator cooler - type of air conditioner

Hi,

Ive just seen some cheap portable evaporator coolers at my local Coles.

Thought it may be handy as portable and as I live north of Perth.

Anyway have not got a clue about these evaporator coolers.
Anyone used them? How do they work?
Are they any good, or total waste of money?

I havent got air conditioning in all rooms, so thought they may be handy to move around.

Gems
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of
Default Re: portable evaporator cooler - type of air conditioner

hi we bought one last year, find our celiing fans to be much more effective.
its collecting dust now.. so if u can rather install ceiling fans.. that's my opinion!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

We have one because the DH refuses to get aircon - quite frankly it is a waste of electricity. Unless you sit slap bang in front of it you dont get much benefit and then when you move away from it the rest of the room is still as bl**dy hot as it was beforehand. One trick if you do get one is to put iced water in the reservoir but that becomes a pita, having to have litres of water cooling in the fridge all the time.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

We bought one and as others have said it done pretty much nothing. Even when we filled it with ice and on full blast. Waste of money.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

I had a couple some years ago, they sort of almost worked, but not very well.

However, that was in the UK.... God knows what use they would be in Australia !

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, looks like I will be avoiding them.

Looks like I will stick with the ceiling fans.

Thanks
Gems
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Thanks, looks like I will be avoiding them.

Looks like I will stick with the ceiling fans.

Thanks
Gems
Yep, save yourself the money and stick with fans!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:35 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I'd agree. By the time you've poured water into them, and added ice cubes if your so inclined, you've worked up a sweat before you even turn it on

Put the money towards a proper air con unit.