British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Portable email account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/portable-email-account-317259/)

rich4efc Jul 31st 2005 8:06 pm

Portable email account

Hello everybody, this is our first post on here, been lurking for a while :o

We should be leaving for Oz on a 457 visa in mid Sept / early Oct, we'll be heading for Sydney & we;re hoping to settle in Cherrybrook, where we have friends.

Our problem is this, when we leave the UK we will lose or email accounts with our ISP & therefore we're looking for a portable email account with a good amount of capacity. We've tried yahoo & hotmail & they're both cr*p, so we were wondering whether anybody out there has any invitations for gmail, if so please pm us & we'll buy you a bevy or two when we get over there :beer: :beer:

rich4efc Jul 31st 2005 8:07 pm

Re: Portable email account

btw, we're Rich & Jackie, pleased to meet you all :)

wargod Jul 31st 2005 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by rich4efc

Hi Both - i have just pm'd you

Cheers

Jon

Jonahs_mummy Jul 31st 2005 8:09 pm

We should be leaving for Oz on a 457 visa in mid Sept / early Oct, we'll be heading for Sydney & we;re hoping to settle in Cherrybrook, where we have friends.

Our problem is this, when we leave the UK we will lose or email accounts with our ISP & therefore we're looking for a portable email account with a good amount of capacity. We've tried yahoo & hotmail & they're both cr*p, so we were wondering whether anybody out there has any invitations for gmail, if so please pm us & we'll buy you a bevy or two when we get over there :beer: :beer:

Hi Guys

Yes Yes Yes I have about 40 GMail Invites..... PM me with your email addy if you would like a couple (or however many you need!)

BTW: WELCOME to the madhouse!!!

wargod Jul 31st 2005 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Guys

Yes Yes Yes I have about 40 GMail Invites..... PM me with your email addy if you would like a couple (or however many you need!)

BTW: WELCOME to the madhouse!!!

Hands off - i saw them first !!:D:D

rich4efc Jul 31st 2005 8:19 pm

Fresh meat eh :D

Thanks to you both for the amazingly quick response, this place is the best ;)

Jonahs_mummy Jul 31st 2005 8:22 pm

Wargod - sorry but they did ask!:D

Guys - have sent the invitations! (K sent so now you have your first blue box!)

Mick-12 Jul 31st 2005 10:01 pm

Could I have one please??????

Thanks Mi ;) ck

Gjn200 Jul 31st 2005 10:45 pm

Whats wrong with hotmail? You get 250 MB.

pandya_m Jul 31st 2005 11:06 pm

He is Rich :)
So, we'll buy you a bevy or two when we get over there wont do.. we need more..
I have lots, if you face problems in opening with others invite do let me know :)
Welcome to BE and Goodluck :)

scrubbedexpat020 Jul 31st 2005 11:10 pm

as soon as you get the gmail accounts make sure you forward your current accounts' emails to the gmail ones.

i did this with our ntl accounts before we left in March and email is still getting forwarded.

Ian

rich4efc Aug 1st 2005 12:33 pm

Thanks for the advice Ian & thanks to all those who have contacted me with invitations. I've now set up two accounts & copied our address books over so we're up & running.

We've only got the house sale, shipping, flights, accomodation etc to sort out now!! :scared:

bridiej Aug 1st 2005 12:35 pm

what is the difference between gmail and, say, hotmail or fsmail? :confused:

worzel Aug 1st 2005 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
what is the difference between gmail and, say, hotmail or fsmail? :confused:

I am told you are more likely to have problems with Hotmail because it is just so popular. That means it attracts Spam / viruses and so some companies have filtering software that block all hotmail emails, especially if they have attachments.

Gmail's main issue is over the way they use your data. They scan your emails and put some unobtrusive internet links down the side of the page concerning things mentioned in your messages. That spooked me out at first but I overcame it and am very happy with gmail so far.

I have never heard of fsmail but Yahoo do something similar as well. I have never used Yahoo for anything so decided now wasn't the time to start.

bridiej Aug 1st 2005 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
I am told you are more likely to have problems with Hotmail because it is just so popular. That means it attracts Spam / viruses and so some companies have filtering software that block all hotmail emails, especially if they have attachments.

Gmail's main issue is over the way they use your data. They scan your emails and put some unobtrusive internet links down the side of the page concerning things mentioned in your messages. That spooked me out at first but I overcame it and am very happy with gmail so far.

I have never heard of fsmail but Yahoo do something similar as well. I have never used Yahoo for anything so decided now wasn't the time to start.

thanks worzel. :)

fsmail is freeserve (or Wanadoo as it is now) and I think I should be able to access it in oz.