Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portable Airconditoners

Portable Airconditoners

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Portable Airconditoners

We might have the option of moving into a rental place in a nice neighbourhood and for an unbelievably low cost per week.

Its literally a stones throw from where my partner works and as she is a nurse doing silly shifts it makes me feel better when she finishes at 11pm!

But even though we haven't viewed it yet we're thinking why is it so affordable. I.E. less than 200 bucks per week.

Air con or the lack of was one of our thoughts so I'm thinking...

Can't get aircon plumbed in for financial and probably pain the butt reasons (landlord permission etc) so we were thinking 'portable' aircon.

I know there will be pro's and cons but whats the craic with em..?

Anyone got any idea's of cost for a decent one?

What other factors do we have to consider?

Whats the deal with these 'exhausts' they come with...? Do we need to ensure we have window that opens close by??

We don't wanna melt but then we don't wanna be unprepared.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portable Airconditoners

The exhaust needs to be put out of a window - or you'll just be keeping the hot air in the room and paying more money for it to run.

Can't help with the rest I'm afraid.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:48 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

jam have a search for the term "evaporative cooler" under either my username or Wendy, as we discussed this just recently. They don't need venting.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
jam have a search for the term "evaporative cooler" under either my username or Wendy, as we discussed this just recently. They don't need venting.
Thanks Seasider!

If this place don't come with aircon (in some ways I hope not as we wanna keep overheads down and I know my partner will have it on day and night!)
then its a portable evap from bunnings!

The place we will end up getting is gonna be small so it shouldn't cost to much to keep warm or cool. (..I hope!)

Cheers!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:09 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in Queensland evaporative aircons don't work too well (due to the humidity) anywhere else and you should be fine!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:00 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I would say dont bother with an evaporative cooler - either go cheap and just buy a fan or go to an air con unit - portable or otherwise. In my opinion they dont work well in NSW either and are not worth the hassle of having to poor water in them every few hours.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

We have the dry heat here in Adelaide.

2 people including one canadian expat have told me that evaps are the way to go and will also keep power bills to a minimum.

I know they won't be 'the best' solution, but they are the most affordable and its likely that we will be living in a 'cosy' unit which should make keeping the place cool and warm much easier than a much larger property.

We will get a much larger property in the next year of two but I have the feeling that they will come with air con ducted as standard, hence the higher price tag.

Thanks for the input though guys.