Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Portable Air con units, any good?

Portable Air con units, any good?

Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portable Air con units, any good?

As the temperature starts to warm up, since I have no air con in the house I am renting does anyone know if portable air con units work, which ones are best etc etc

Anyone have some experience with them?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:13 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portable Air con units, any good?

Originally Posted by dave99
As the temperature starts to warm up, since I have no air con in the house I am renting does anyone know if portable air con units work, which ones are best etc etc

Gday

We / well the company I work for sell them.

They are fine, but only use to cool 1 room down, say a bedroom or small lounge.

Generally you need to put them in a corner near a window, so you can vent them, with a tumble drier type hose, thru a wondow.

Models vary, with a bucket inside to collect condensed water from the coil, which you need to empty regularly.

I think cost wise approx 500+

Not sure as I dont sell them.

Do not buy one, if you aim to keep a room really cold, they are really for background coolness.

In reality, the machines, arent that effective, and breakdown rates are much higher than comparable split system models.

It would be easier for you to ask landlord, to shout the cost of the machine, and you shout the cost of installation of a split system. Most landlords would go for that.

Typically a 1 or 1.5hp machine is about 6-700 bucks and installation varies but is approx 300 bucks. A 1 hp split system, can be run from a domestic 10 amp socket, where applicable.

Steve
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:31 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I have one we brought out from the UK... They're OK but as already pointed out you need to vent them out of the window and keep emptying the water... Also have a Panasonic split downstairs and a Daikin split upstairs... The Daikin is the best...
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:38 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

I've got two portable units for sale if you're in WA and interested

They served us well last year in a rental with no air con too.

JUles
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies all, from the sounds of it the mounted split systems are the way to go.
I guess first step is to have a chat with the realestate agent and see if they would go for getting one put in, but if theres no joy I might take you up on that offer jules, for the right price !

How does it work putting a hose out the window though, surely all the cool air drifts out the gap too?

(sounds like a silly questions but I have never seen these before )
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:31 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies all, from the sounds of it the mounted split systems are the way to go.
I guess first step is to have a chat with the realestate agent and see if they would go for getting one put in, but if theres no joy I might take you up on that offer jules, for the right price !

How does it work putting a hose out the window though, surely all the cool air drifts out the gap too?

(sounds like a silly questions but I have never seen these before )
Realestate will usually go for it, as it means your RENT will increase.