Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Stephens recommendations please

Port Stephens recommendations please

Old May 30th 2007, 12:21 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Port Stephens recommendations please

hoping someone might be able to help with some recommendations for the Port Stephens area
we had to cancel a trip to Brissie at the last minute (again), but as i have the next two days booked off work i was considering a drive up the coast for a few days away
we've never been, but like the sound of the place and as it's only a few hours drive away...

i'm hoping for a recommendation of somewhere to stay
i don't know the area.. Nelson Bay/Shoal Bay/Port Stephens... what's what? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Old May 30th 2007, 12:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Stephens recommendations please

My piece of advice - book your accommodation in advance.

We popped in there on our way down to Sydney and though WOW! - but when we tried to find somewhere to stay - no chance.

You'll probably have more luck with accommodation this time of year though, we were there just after Christmas.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by renth
My piece of advice - book your accommodation in advance.

We popped in there on our way down to Sydney and though WOW! - but when we tried to find somewhere to stay - no chance.

You'll probably have more luck with accommodation this time of year though, we were there just after Christmas.
thanks mate, i know it's last minute but hoping that it'll be not too difficult being low season
so looking forward to a few days off it'd be a shame to waste it away staying at home
Old May 30th 2007, 12:50 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
thanks mate, i know it's last minute but hoping that it'll be not too difficult being low season
so looking forward to a few days off it'd be a shame to waste it away staying at home
Peppers Resort - top of the Range perfect for couple

Big 4 Holiday Parks - lower scale

Plan to have a day in the Hunter Valley wine region

No car required - http://www.wotif.com/hotels/nelson-towers-motel.html, right in the heart of Nelson Bay

http://www.beachsideholidays.com.au/ - different parks at different places, we stayed at Soliders Point in a very nice Cabin

One Mile Beach Holiday park - http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=537134

Depending on your requirements there is lots of accommodation this time of year. Also inland in the Hunter and up in hills beyond as well. I have been up in this area a fair bit

Have a great time

Cheers
Old May 30th 2007, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Sandra
Peppers Resort - top of the Range perfect for couple

Big 4 Holiday Parks - lower scale

Plan to have a day in the Hunter Valley wine region

No car required - http://www.wotif.com/hotels/nelson-towers-motel.html, right in the heart of Nelson Bay

http://www.beachsideholidays.com.au/ - different parks at different places, we stayed at Soliders Point in a very nice Cabin

One Mile Beach Holiday park - http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=537134

Depending on your requirements there is lots of accommodation this time of year. Also inland in the Hunter and up in hills beyond as well. I have been up in this area a fair bit

Have a great time

Cheers
thanks Sandra
i'd already seen your suggestion of Peppers in a previous thread... as you say great for a couple, they even have some specials on this weekend, but alas not so suitable with a bub (i forgot to mention that didn't i?)

been out to the Hunter plenty of times and although i wouldn't mind it, my wife is not drinking with bub #2 on the way (another thing i didn't mention)

i'll check out those other links though thanks, Soldiers Point has come up before so that's a maybe
Old May 30th 2007, 1:50 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Convience of Nelson Tower might suit then with little one - stayed there this Easter. Close to the kiddies parks and the beach in Nelson Bay, food and shopping. The two bed apartments might be the thing and it has it own swimming pool which might be heated. Closer to the Dolphin watching trips etc and just opposite the Marina. If you get a nice one the Balcony view to sit out and eat while the little one sleeps would be good.

Soliders Point is fairly laid back but near to the Toboggan park and that sort of thing.
Old May 30th 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandra
Convience of Nelson Tower might suit then with little one - stayed there this Easter. Close to the kiddies parks and the beach in Nelson Bay, food and shopping. The two bed apartments might be the thing and it has it own swimming pool which might be heated. Closer to the Dolphin watching trips etc and just opposite the Marina. If you get a nice one the Balcony view to sit out and eat while the little one sleeps would be good.

Soliders Point is fairly laid back but near to the Toboggan park and that sort of thing.
This weekend is the start of Whale Watching Season, so may be a little busier than most off season weekends. If you are coming up, check out Nelson Bay Marina for tours.
Old May 30th 2007, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by TheRutters
This weekend is the start of Whale Watching Season, so may be a little busier than most off season weekends. If you are coming up, check out Nelson Bay Marina for tours.
thanks, i was just reading that
what are the odds on seeing whales or dolphins? last year we did a dolphin tour in Jervis Bay, didn't see a thing... they said luck of the draw but asking around it seemed like the norm
Old May 30th 2007, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough

what are the odds on seeing whales or dolphins? last year we did a dolphin tour in Jervis Bay, didn't see a thing... they said luck of the draw but asking around it seemed like the norm
We went to Nelson Bay at easter and saw heaps of dolphins when we went on a boat trip, which was well worth the money.
I wont recommend where we stayed though at the Halula on Shoal bay road, it was a dive!
Old May 30th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough

hoping someone might be able to help with some recommendations for the Port Stephens area
we had to cancel a trip to Brissie at the last minute (again), but as i have the next two days booked off work i was considering a drive up the coast for a few days away
we've never been, but like the sound of the place and as it's only a few hours drive away...

i don't know the area.. Nelson Bay/Shoal Bay/Port Stephens... what's what? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks

We have stayed at the nelson bay breeze resort before and that was lovely plus suitable for families....... [email protected]
Old May 30th 2007, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by electricbaby27
We went to Nelson Bay at easter and saw heaps of dolphins when we went on a boat trip, which was well worth the money.
I wont recommend where we stayed though at the Halula on Shoal bay road, it was a dive!
oh good stuff! starting to look forward to this
noted on the accomodation non-recommendation, will avoid that one
it's not far a drive for you is it? you should have just driven home again
Old May 30th 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

100% certain
Old May 30th 2007, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

thanks
Hi there
Shoal Bay is may favourite part of the Bay. Nelson Bay is good for a mooch about though. Have heard the Shoal Bay resort and Spa is nice but I haven't stayed there - I'm afraid we've only camped in the caravan park.
Have a nice time - I'm sure you'll love it.
Julie
Old May 30th 2007, 5:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a word with Mrs Jackaroo. Rach was there recently I think.
Old May 30th 2007, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Macquarie
Hi there
Shoal Bay is may favourite part of the Bay. Nelson Bay is good for a mooch about though. Have heard the Shoal Bay resort and Spa is nice but I haven't stayed there - I'm afraid we've only camped in the caravan park.
Have a nice time - I'm sure you'll love it.
Julie
thanks Julie
Shoal Bay holiday park is actually at the top of my list right now, their villas tick the right boxes
camping would be great if the timing were right, maybe another visit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.