Port Pirie SA

Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:42 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of
Default Port Pirie SA

Hi Peeps,

I have read a couple of threads about Port Pirie from a couple of years ago and wondered if anyone on hear may have had some more recent experience of there.
I may have an opportunity to emigrate there soon and would welcome your opinions.
It looks OK to me and we were after somewhere semi rural, I have researched all the usual scare stories about lead heads etc, but I was after peoples personal experiences rather than the "stories" someone else told you about.

Many Thanks in advance to those who are willing to be sensible and not turn this thread into a slanging match about who's got the biggest and whether the UK is better (as we all know it is )

Darren
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Pirie SA

I'm not sure whether I would personally head for Port Pirie.Its not the prettiest place I've ever been,and its quite ugly in places(its not very big).Most people I know have only lived there temporarily,through work and then they're out of there.I know the town had some drink/drug problems,there's not much to do there to be honest.On the plus side,the rentals are cheaper,and there are nicer reachable places to visit whilst living there.I don't know anyone who would move there,apart from as I said,work reasons.Sorry its not very positive,but I guess it would be like comparing Port Pirie with say Hull?If you had of said Port Lincoln,that would be a different story,then I'd be saying "go for it"!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Although i dont know anyone who has lived there this may help, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...A/Port%20Pirie as its reasonably near Adelaide you can escape for the weekend so it cant be that bad.
Is Port Pirie renowned for head lice?

Bob
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:49 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
Hi Peeps,

I have read a couple of threads about Port Pirie from a couple of years ago and wondered if anyone on hear may have had some more recent experience of there.
I may have an opportunity to emigrate there soon and would welcome your opinions.
It looks OK to me and we were after somewhere semi rural, I have researched all the usual scare stories about lead heads etc, but I was after peoples personal experiences rather than the "stories" someone else told you about.

Many Thanks in advance to those who are willing to be sensible and not turn this thread into a slanging match about who's got the biggest and whether the UK is better (as we all know it is )

Darren
Were you offered a good job there? if not then theres much better semi-rural places in OZ to live.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:01 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi Peeps,

Darren
If your going to live in rural SA the best places would be the Adelaide Hills region such as the Barossa valley your not far from Adelaide, or Kangaroo island great beaches and scenery, or the south east mt gambier area or try another state.
l would'nt want to live in Pt Pirie or anywhere near it
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:58 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mohogony
Were you offered a good job there? if not then theres much better semi-rural places in OZ to live.
Hi Mohogany,

Thanks for the response, but it would be because of work and it's not a bad job, so I may have to take the rough with the smooth.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:37 am
Banned

Hi Mohogany,

Thanks for the response, but it would be because of work and it's not a bad job, so I may have to take the rough with the smooth.
l've lived in SA but never been to Pt Pirie so l don't really know what its like, and as l said if you have a good job there then its probably worth giving the place a go. its not the best place in SA to live but there are plenty of worse places.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 10th 2010 at 5:39 am.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I had a quick peak there last year when driving by.

It's bigger than I was expecting, looks like all the main shops are there as well so no need to go to Adelaide for basic supplies.

Go onto google earth and have a look.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:16 pm
Use time wisely

Hi Peeps,

Just an update, as I couldn't get any sense out of anyone on here (no change there then ), I went to Port Pirie last week and I was pleasantly surprised, the job I have now accepted was great, the people I will be working with did everything they could to make me feel welcome, people in the street were friendly and willing to just have a chat (nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them), there's a lot of infrastructure being developed and investment is available and being spent on good projects (my job is to spend some) .
Ok, some parts of the town are old, but they were not dilapidated and the whole town was very clean and no signs of graffiti or vandalism .

All in all, a nice place and I will be moving there in just over 3 months, look out Aus, here we come.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you found the town ok.
Problem is the majority of expats who emigrate move to the city, so those of us who live rural are very few.
Therefore getting good reliable info on a rural town can be more difficult.

Good luck with your move and hope it all works out. I live rural WA and now wouldnt dream of living in the city.

Gems
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Funny,

I drove past Port Pirie last month and thought about your post.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear everything is working in your favour.Sorry my post on PP was'nt very positive.I suppose everyones preception of a place is way different,and thats what makes us all unique!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 6:41 pm
Use time wisely

Many thanks to you for the supportive comments, they are much appreciated.