Port Macquarie

Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Macquarie

Originally Posted by jellibaby
But if you come to Aussie thinking there is no crime then you'll be disappointed.

I live in Brisbane.

G
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

some very informative posts here, can anyone tell me what the prospects for carpenters and secondary school teachers are here. Sounds a lovely place, we are currently in Victoria but looking for a warmer climate, what are average temps for winter/summer, thanks for info
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

We live on the Central Coast at the moment but Port Macquarie is having a big housing boom and so there are plenty of jobs for both up there and the climate is more consistent mind you we love it on the Central Coast but it can get busy.

If I had the choice between the two I would choose Port Macquarie.

Good luck,

Adele
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
We live in Port Macquarie.
The place is absolutley beautiful, fantastic beaches, wonderful views and idealic climate.
We arrived 1st July, had 1 week of wet weather and then practically wall to wall sunshine since barring the very odd cloudy day.
The temperature here has been cool in the morning in winter but warms up by mid morning and is currently mid 20's.
There isn't enough housing as you said and it's difficult to rent let alone buy but not impossible.
One thing to mention though is the wages are a lot less than in the big cities and jobs are quite difficult to come by.
I think you need to meet people face to face to secure employment, that's how I got a job. No one replyed to me from emails.
You can fly into Port for a reccie as it has it's own airport a couple of k's from the CBD.
Please feel free to PM us if you need any more help.

Nige, Rach, Jacob and Jessie.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:33 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iainandsam
some very informative posts here, can anyone tell me what the prospects for carpenters and secondary school teachers are here. Sounds a lovely place, we are currently in Victoria but looking for a warmer climate, what are average temps for winter/summer, thanks for info
In theory jobs should be plentiful - but they aren't and jobs of decent quality as like hens teeth. We have lived in Port since Nov07. We bought a house and settled in thinking that with my high level of quals there would be no problem with a job in education. NOT TRUE! I've worked in retail just to get some money in which is not what I'm qualified to do at all. In the end I've given up (and I adore Port Macquarie). I am currently working in Goulburn and our house if for sale. Hubbie and dogs still in Port and I'm communting up once every five weeks or so for a long weekend. My contract in Goulburn is 12 months but after that I don't see the work situation getting any better in Port. Jobs for the boys is the way it works and if you're happy with low levels of pay then you might find something eventually. We have friends who came out from the UK in Dec last year. They were advised by UK agents that Port was the best for schools and climate and work. He was a qualified and experienced carpenter and she a mix of skills some of which were teaching. Neither of them could secure work and they door knockered everywhere and signed on with agencies the whole lot. They gave it a good 6 months and then realised that if they were not to spend all of their savings on just living they had to move. They are now in Ipswich in QLD west of Brisbane and is in full time work - in his trade - carpentry.

As a place to live - Port is wonderful. Beautiful beaches, fantastic schools etc - but if you need an income - forget it. Also remember that 65% of the population is over 45. This is the retirement capital of Aussie. A huge proportion of the people are retirees and that's reflected in clubs etc and the early to bed lifestyle. Restaurants close down by 9:30 and out of season some don't even open during the week at all.

Housing is over inflated, prices are high. Those below 400k sell quickly and those over that sell slowly but are often over priced compared to the mean average wage. As a consequence rentals are snapped up very quickly.

You need more than a reccie as you'll fall in love with the town straight away. My advise - secure a job BEFORE you move here!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I know this thread is old, but can I ask for an update on how people are going there? please
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Hi seayork2002

We have been here a year and two days now. We still love Port Macquarie as much as when we first arrived.
We have now bought a house here and the children have secured places at School and nursery. We have bought a boat and love exploring the waterways around here. I have learnt to surf and take advantage of the great beaches.

We have made some very good friends here and the kids have too.

Our only issue is as stated before: The wages are a lot less than other areas and we do struggle a little with money.

Regards Nigel, Rachel, Jacob and Jessie.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grayling
Port Macquarie also has drug problems.....the same as most Australian small towns.

When we last visited we were told (by our motel owner and others) that car break ins were pretty common and many properties, especially motels etc. were targetted by burglars.

Don't be fooled by sleepy town appearances.

Places like Byron bay are often descibed as idyllic by people on here whereas they have some significant problems with drugs, alcohol and youth violence.

G

Just add "DITTO" to every other country and small town.

Try Manila - they have padlocks on their false teeth....

It may be an old thread..but its been re-opened and others will call in to check things out ...so....

Anybody travelling to any new place should follow the basic rules...park in an open, well lit area. Dont leave anything on show in the car...wash/wipe off the sat nav marks on your windscreen. Most motels have parking outside your chalet..or near the 24/7 manned offices. The Observatory has underground parking and is not really expensive.

Set out to be a victim..and you will be.

Dont be a "glass half empty" merchant.. or in Graylings case..glass stolen and emptied by thirsty thief.... and don't get worried about to all the negative comments - apply common sence and go out to enjoy life... or you will end up staying in bed surrounded by barbed wire!