Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Douglas holiday - advice please

Port Douglas holiday - advice please

Old May 23rd 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Port Douglas holiday - advice please

After 4 very tough weeks back in the UK (included burying my Grandfather, seeing Rangers lose the UEFA Cup and SPL, and way too much work) I'm taking the Haggis family to Port Douglas for a well earned break.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on things to do, places to go etc etc in and around Port Douglas that will keep us (me, Mrs H, our 5 year old boy, 8 year old daughter and my mother) entertained. We're there for 10 days and will have a hire car for a week.

Thanks awfully in advance.
Col
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

JRockit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Port Douglas holiday - advice please

Hi HS,

We got married in Palm Cove which is about 30 mins away from Port Douglas- and deffo worth a visit! If you fly into Cairns, it is on the way to PD. The beach is fantastic and I had the best steak I have ever had at The Sebel Reef House!!!

In PD, the beach is great but does get very busy in peak season- when are you planning to go?
There is a great strip of affordable restaurants and shops. We stayed at the Peppers Beach Resort which was great, if a little expensive- but wonderful. You can also arrange a Great Barrier Reef Tour from here- which is a MUST. And the Kuranda Skyrail- which is nearer to Cairns.

Restaurant wise, we ate really well- and one night blew the budget at Nautilius- which is an outdoor restaurant reminiscent of a Midsummer's Night Dream... The java blue cafe was also memorable as they did the best cherry ripe milkshake I have ever tasted (and dthe only one!!)

I hope this was helpful! Have a great time

JR
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

We were there in July last year. Go on a boat trip to the outer reef, awesome.
enjoy
jacqui
Old May 24th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We really enjoyed the Habitat Rainforest Sanctuary http://www.rainforesthabitat.com.au/
and Kuranda Skyrail & scenic railway -(go up in skyrail and come back on the train).
Tjapukai Aboriginal Park (at the foot of the Skyrail)
and like OP said, stop off at Palm Cove if you're driving yourselves from Cairns to Port.
Old May 25th 2008, 1:04 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on things to do, places to go etc etc in and around Port Douglas that will keep us (me, Mrs H, our 5 year old boy, 8 year old daughter and my mother) entertained. We're there for 10 days and will have a hire car for a week.
Recommend the Quicksilver trip to the Low Isles..especially with Kids! The other Quicksilver cruise goes out to a floating pontoon and once your out there there is only so much you can do with kids.
The Low Isles give you more options to swim in sheltered waters and play on the beach. There are discover walks and snorkelling trips with a marine biologist and SCUBA diving for beginners so you get to really see the reef. One can do the dive in the morning, while the other watches the kids and then swap for the arvo. You have to book the SCUBA dives as they get full.
http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/wavedancer.htm

Hartley Creek Crocodile Farm..... Great fun to see the crocs.
http://www.crocodileadventures.com/

Kuranda Railway
http://www.kurandascenicrailway.com.au/

The come back down via the Skyrail
http://www.skyrail.com.au/bookings.html

Hope this helps
Neil.
Old May 25th 2008, 1:14 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I'd also suggest driving further north to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation, easily doable in a day from PD. You can see wild crocs on the Daintree River Cruise. All very scenic, I love it up there
Old May 25th 2008, 2:48 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

i went diving from port douglas and it was superb, only a small boat with about 5 of us, very very good.
i would also go to mossman gorge, it has some nice walking tracks and great for swimming
have a nice time, you lucky devils
bec
Old May 26th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to all who responded - much appreciated !

Col
Old May 26th 2008, 12:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a week of our wedding/honeymoon trip in Palm Cove and agree it's a lovely little place. (At least it was 6 years ago, but I do recall some building going on so hope it still is.) We stayed at the Reef Retreat, which is a pretty aparthotel.

The food in Palm Cove was amazing - we ate at the Sebel too, also the Ansanga, but even just a little restaurant with a few tables in the middle of a shopping centre (if that's not too grand a term for it) was fab.

If you're not already booked, I'd stay there and just visit Port Douglas, if I were you. The Quicksilver boats pick up there too.

Others have posted the links I would. Stop off part way down the skyrail and go round a treetop boardwalk. The cultural centre is just ok, IMHO.

The Geek did a bungy just outside Cairns, too. Eejit.