Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Douglas - hoilday tips?

Port Douglas - hoilday tips?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:35 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Douglas - hoilday tips?

Originally Posted by Peepster
Thanks Carberry will check it out, yep I saw you guys were having a piss up, we arrive on the 31st!
we timed it perfect
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Do you have kids?
Recommend a trip to the Low Isles, I have been on this trip and have recommended to friends and they loved it also.....

http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/wavedancer.htm

Great for kids, lovely beach, safe water, marine biologist to explain stuff, scuba diving (book to avoid disappointed)

Return Wavedancer cruise from Port Douglas
Morning and afternoon teas on board
Reef presentation by marine biologist
Tropical smorgasbord lunch
All snorkelling equipment provided
Qualified snorkelling safety officers on hand
Glass bottom boat coral viewing
Marine Biologist guided beach walk
Guided snorkelling tour with a Marine Biologist

It's not as long trip as the ones that go all the way to the outer reef. I had a friend that got all the way out to the floating pontoon and the water was rough, meaning visibility was poor = nothing to do and the waste of a day.

With the low isles, one partner can dive while the other watches the kids on the beach of snorkels from the beach, then swap over in the afternoon.
The trip leaves from Port Douglas (pick up in Cairns first)

Totally agree, we did the scuba at the pontoon on Agincourt reef and were disappointed, though did see a shark and some friendly wrasse, but the snorkelling trip on the low islands with wavedancer was AWESOME! Swam with loads of fish, lots of colour over reefs a few feet below the surface, some small reef sharks, turtles easily found, could have stayed all week, brilliant, brilliant brilliant. I guess we liked it!
dO IT AND REPORT BACK, ENJOY
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

Hi I lived in PD for 10 months.
Must do's-
Breakfast with the birds at the rainforest retreat. Small zoo and lovely cooked breakkie with all the birds flying around and trying to drink your orange juice.

Got to go to 'On the Inlet', about 4.30pm, its a fish restaurant and at 5pm the owners come out with massive fish geads and dangle them over the side of restaurant into the ocean for George the massive groper. He jumps out to grab them. Not well advertised and not to be missed. Get there early for a good seat and a bucket of prawns and wine. Ah, memories..

Courthouse sunday session is great, lots of live bands and dancing. There is a sunday morning market and everyone goes there after.

Bloomfield track up to Cooktown is amazing 4wd trip if you have time.

Go to the Nautilus if you want a fancy meal, setting is amazing.

Best place in the world and just the right time of year to go weather wise. Buses are free in main streets, you just flag down.
Low isles is great, thats where Steve Irwin carked it so stay away from the stingrays..
Enjoy
Les
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:39 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

So, have booked a cheapie break for 1st week August. Plan to spend most of the time lolling round the pool but would like to venture out on one or 2 day trips too - anyone got any must see's/do's? Nothing too strenuous!

Thanks guys,

Just got back from a Port Douglas weekend - I can recommend the horse riding (leaflets in the hotels) we had such a laugh and the staff are friendly & helpfull, even complete novices are catered for.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:18 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all, heading up there tomorrow. Doing a spot of packing as we speak! Shame the weather seems to be a bit shite but no doubt we can always take refuge in the bar
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:22 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Actually scrap my last comment about the weather, just checked again and it's changed overnight to mostly sunny yee-hah!! Banana lounger here I come!!!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Actually scrap my last comment about the weather, just checked again and it's changed overnight to mostly sunny yee-hah!! Banana lounger here I come!!!
Yep, weather has improved since Soapy & Carbery left
Have a great week
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
Just got back from a Port Douglas weekend - I can recommend the horse riding (leaflets in the hotels) we had such a laugh and the staff are friendly & helpfull, even complete novices are catered for.
i can second, third and fourth this lol
to be honest its the best thing i have done since i moved to oz over 6 years ago and we have done a lot of tours and pish

oh its on wonga beach and costs 125 bucks a head

http://www.beachhorserides.com.au/

Last edited by soapy©; Jul 30th 2010 at 9:26 am.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Guest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really nice

If you're going to head to the Kuranda Railway head further into Cairns...

http://www.reefmagiccruises.com/whal...-tours-cairns/
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:46 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Go *UP* the Skyrail and *DOWN* the Kuranda Railway from the place north of Cairns

The Irish pub in PD is good value at happy hour

Wavedancer to the Low Isles is awesome, a MUST DO

Skip Daintree Village it's a waste of time head north to Cape Tribulation it's beautiful but a fair drive (2 hours-ish each way so go early)

Maybe skip the zoo by the entrance road to PD. I forget it's name (Rainforest Habitat or something) but it's just a zoo. There were people having lunch with the birds there it looked unhygienic and the place seemed a bit chaotic / badly organised

Watch the bakeries and small shops in PD they are a total rip-off. When we went out on the Wavedancer last month we went to the bakery early. I bought three small apple Danish a choc milk and a tin of Coke and it came to $19 the Aussie rip-off b*stards. Had to pay it we were starving and no-where else was open. So make sure you use Foodland or Coles otherwise you will be robbed.

A lot of places seemed a rip-off in PD so shop around.

Have a nice time......
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:31 am
Random Member

Had a brilliant holiday in PD, thanks to everyone for their suggestions! Did the Low Isles trip and snorkelled with turtles, Lady Margaret river cruise (what a bargain, only $30 and we saw 2 4.5 meter crocs!), went to the Mossman gorge which was lovely and up to the Daintree, didn't make the horseriding or Cape Tribulation but we just loved it so will definitely be heading back next year. How good is the Court House pub!!!

Had a rather surreal experience on our last night though - went to see George the Groper fish being fed at the Inlet but got there a bit late and there was heaps of people so couldn't really see anything, I'm a bit of a short arse so was on tippy toes trying to see George when I felt myself start to lose my balance so put my hand out to steady myself but when I put my hand out I ended up basically getting a handful of some blokes tackle which was a bit embarrassing, I was hoping no-one had seen anything but when I turned around there was a familiar face right behind me who was giggling- Marion from Masterchef, how weird is that?!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:04 pm
Master of verbal pish©

sounds like you had a fantastic time. its a great place to holiday. we will be trying to visit more often now.