Port Douglas

Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:41 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Port Douglas

A couple of the brisbane night out girls asked me to feedback on our trip to Port Douglas so here goes....
Place is very pretty, reminiscent of Noosa for me, best bit was the absence of maccas, kfc etc. Excellent food for a wide range of budgets, plenty for the children to do croc cruise, beach etc. Spas are plentiful though treatments quite expensive. Trips to the outer reef for diving and snorkelling widely available for about $150 pp, though on the way back we noticed the same companys and itinerys advertised from Cairns for $60/70 not sure why.

Strangely, though the weather was good the sea there appeared very brown??????? It was windy so whether this was stirring up the sediment I dont know, maybe a local can tell me, I was surprised its the first time i've seenthis in aus? (the sky was blue)

Probably wouldnt rush back as there are similar places closer by, unless you want the reef or crocs, but a good winter break, it was so warm up there!!!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Port Douglas

Originally Posted by mcmercer

Strangely, though the weather was good the sea there appeared very brown??????? It was windy so whether this was stirring up the sediment I dont know, maybe a local can tell me, I was surprised its the first time i've seenthis in aus? (the sky was blue)
Yeah, we had a holiday in Palm Cove 2 years ago(just south of Port Douglas). It was windy as anything for 5 days, the sea was brown. But then on the last two days it calmed down and the sea turned an amazing blue colour. I think you are right, its the rough water stirring up the sand and sediment.

JTL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Reef trips can vary quite a lot - you need to look for the best deals, loads of places to do this along/around the Esplanade. Our friends did the full trip for around $60 each which is quite a good deal considering what you do/see.

Yes, the water can be brownish in colour, but like you said, only becuase of the wind/tides stiring up the sand. Although we have found, most of the beaches in Cairns are not as 'clear' as on the Gold/Sunshine coast.

Over the last few weeks it has been quite cool by night and warm by day, average 25/6 deg c day and 16-18 degc by night, not bad for mid winter eh!!

Last week we had really strong winds for about 4 days on and off. Nearly the worst since we have been here. Very unusual. It is GLORIOUS today, blue skies and lovely sunshine - this is how the locals expect most of the winter to be like in Cairns. Season changes this year apparently, rain came later etc.

Port Douglas is a place most people rav about. We really liked it there and are looking forward to going back on a day trip. Probably nicer to stay for a few days though to make the most of it, as most of you have done, you get to see more then dont you?

All in all, there is so much to do in and around Cairns, as other parts of Australia. Just depends what you are into. If you like the sea/reef/island/beach hopping its the right place for your holiday! Just make sure you have LOTS of CASH!!!! (as with any holiday)
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:42 am
Are we nearly there yet?

Buzby is an unknown quantity at this point

All in all, there is so much to do in and around Cairns, as other parts of Australia. Just depends what you are into. If you like the sea/reef/island/beach hopping its the right place for your holiday! Just make sure you have LOTS of CASH!!!! (as with any holiday) [/QUOTE]

We are in Port Douglas for 2 days and Cairns for 5 days in December, we have Christmas Day in Cairns. We are all so excited, reef trips, Daintree and white water rafting :scared: So much to chose from, soooo looking forward to it!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzby
We are in Port Douglas for 2 days and Cairns for 5 days in December, we have Christmas Day in Cairns. We are all so excited, reef trips, Daintree and white water rafting :scared: So much to chose from, soooo looking forward to it!

Sounds GREAT!!! You have done your research thats for sure!!! It will be really HOT and stuffy then! T-shirts and shorts only - oh and loads of COLD showers or dips in the sea

You'll love it here - all the things you are going to do are FANTASTIC! Don't forget the night life too - loads of bars/clubs/venues - lost for choice really

Bet you can't wait - hope you have a really fab time!

Take care
Gill
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:04 am
Are we nearly there yet?

Buzby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Sounds GREAT!!! You have done your research thats for sure!!! It will be really HOT and stuffy then! T-shirts and shorts only - oh and loads of COLD showers or dips in the sea

You'll love it here - all the things you are going to do are FANTASTIC! Don't forget the night life too - loads of bars/clubs/venues - lost for choice really

Bet you can't wait - hope you have a really fab time!

Take care
Gill
Thanks Gill

We were told that there may be possible showers, and big showers at that. Do you think we should bring a waterproof with us? So chuffing excited!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:31 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzby
Thanks Gill

We were told that there may be possible showers, and big showers at that. Do you think we should bring a waterproof with us? So chuffing excited!
No I wouldn't bother Buzby.
I haven't worn a raincoat yet even in the "big showers".

It will be too hot and steamy to worry about a raincoat. Better to pick up a cheapo umbrella if it's needed.

You will be diving in and out of aircon all the time and that does dry you too.

Da rain is warm
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:14 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

ah Port douglas, just love the place, but i wouldnt wanna live there. too hot and far too many flies
mrs soapys sister has lived ther for about 10 years and is well settled there. she just loves the place. the locals treat it like a wee community, they all know each other, bit strange for me. a lot of people like that though.
its nice walking throught the place and every second person stops to chat to her. takes us ages to get throught he shopping with her motor mooth.
its a fab place to holiday though.