Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Popping offshore?

Popping offshore?

Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Popping offshore?

Wondered what anyones thoughts are on best value offshore 'holiday'?

Mate of mine has been told she should lodge an offshore visa instead of onshore (not sure why but think it makes it simpler with her current employer).

Where would you go?

Only for about 5 days or so and she hasn't got a massive budget.

I suggested Fuji and Bali but Fuji looks quite expensive. She's travelling by herself.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:38 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Popping offshore?

Originally Posted by jothefw
I suggested Fuji and Bali but Fuji looks quite expensive. She's travelling by herself.
Hope she's got a good camera
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Hope she's got a good camera
Sorry - you've lost me Zen?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:29 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't need to be 'offshore' to apply (as far as I know) - usually the 'offshore' part means you need to be offshore when you are granted the visa. Most visas can be applied for online for anywhere in the world including Australia. However, there may be a visa I'm not aware of that has an offshore application clause.

NZ is usually the cheapest - there are regular flight sales and a room in a backpackers is cheap too.

Zen is referring to your small typo - you wrote Fuji (camera brand) instead of Fiji!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin

Zen is referring to your small typo - you wrote Fuji (camera brand) instead of Fiji!
Thanks - shows how well I read it!!

She's working with a MARA agent so I'm presuming the advice is correct. I know that I've read a lot about other people having to go offshore previously but I haven't taken a lot of notice whether it was for lodging or approval.

I thought it was a great excuse to go overseas! Wish I could afford to go with her!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - shows how well I read it!!

She's working with a MARA agent so I'm presuming the advice is correct. I know that I've read a lot about other people having to go offshore previously but I haven't taken a lot of notice whether it was for lodging or approval.

I thought it was a great excuse to go overseas! Wish I could afford to go with her!
If its a case of having to go offshore for the visa to be granted NZ is the one people usually go to. It always used to be the case that it had to be somewhere with an Aussie mission/High Commision to visit in person, but with more visas being electronic this might have changed - the agent should know.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Wondered what anyones thoughts are on best value offshore 'holiday'?

Mate of mine has been told she should lodge an offshore visa instead of onshore (not sure why but think it makes it simpler with her current employer).

Where would you go?

Only for about 5 days or so and she hasn't got a massive budget.

As a tip .... I found flights to Bali are pretty expensive but Bali is pretty cheap once you are there..... Fiji (Fuji) flights are pretty reasonable.

Just heard some excellent reports about Vanuatu and not far to get to.

If the tropics aren't your thing then New Zealand is a cheap flight away and a great holiday.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:16 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Have a play with http://www.kayak.com/explore/
And check out http://www.webjet.com.au/flights/budget-breaker/
And the deals of Jetstar/Virgin/etc.

I'd be inclined to find somewhere you want to go, but haven't been - rather than just going somewhere because its cheap. Christchurch is cheap at the mo (probably because half of its fallen over) but the general area is great - and Hong Kong is always worth a visit if you haven't been.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Could take a low cost last minute cruise. They can work out very cheap given all meals, travel etc included in the price...some that travel up the qld coast stop at a little offshore island (Willis) that is officially in international waters so passengers can buy duty free on board if that counts as offshore
Old Sep 20th 2012, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't need to be 'offshore' to apply (as far as I know) - usually the 'offshore' part means you need to be offshore when you are granted the visa. Most visas can be applied for online for anywhere in the world including Australia. However, there may be a visa I'm not aware of that has an offshore application clause.

NZ is usually the cheapest - there are regular flight sales and a room in a backpackers is cheap too.

That is what I was thinking, can't see why anyone would need to go offshore to lodge an employer sponsored visa or why that would make it easier. Unless she is redy for a holiday anyway I would double check that.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:14 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Fuji is a beautiful mountain in Japan!

Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:15 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i have an issue with jetstar NZ, they can't stick to their flight schedules! my itineraries have changed a lot of times!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GarryP
http://www.kayak.com/explore/

I'd be inclined to find somewhere you want to go, but haven't been - rather than just going somewhere because its cheap. Christchurch is cheap at the mo (probably because half of its fallen over) but the general area is great - and Hong Kong is always worth a visit if you haven't been.
Thanks for that link Garry - loved it!!

I agree with picking somewhere where she actually wants to go, otherwise could be a boring week/few days.

She likes diving so I'm encouraging her to do something like that while she's away which probably rules out Christchurch