Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pools - Worth the hassle or not?

Pools - Worth the hassle or not?

Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice
Default Pools - Worth the hassle or not?

We are currently building a new home in Brisbane and are considering installing a pool, but I am unsure if it will be worth the money or even add any value to a property.

I have heard some mixed reactions to domestic pools - some say they are not worth it some even said they deter buyers due to the dangers for kids and hassle with up keep etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any good advice on this subject?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:37 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pools - Worth the hassle or not?

I would certainly install a pool if I lived in a subtropical environment - they are lifesavers in hot weather and not hard to keep clean if you take care with the plantings around them.

The only minus point in Oz is the requirement for fencing a pool - it makes for an enclosure rather than somewhere to roll out of the house into a cool swim. But saying anything against pool fencing seems to be akin to advocating tearing the limbs off babies, such is the nanny culture here.

Where I live the hassle of preventing the pool freezing over during winter and the short swimming season make it a no-no.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Like Flynn
We are currently building a new home in Brisbane and are considering installing a pool, but I am unsure if it will be worth the money or even add any value to a property.

I have heard some mixed reactions to domestic pools - some say they are not worth it some even said they deter buyers due to the dangers for kids and hassle with up keep etc.

Morning Flynn

We're in the same boat; new house, do we put a pool in?

Concrete pools are $20k and up, above ground pools around half that. A trip to the local outdoor pool about $3, so the numbers are never going to stack up financially. I think we'll see how we go this summer and think about one for next year.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

My wife 'maintains' ours but she has a weekly routine that is easy enough and she doesn't reckon it's much of a hassle at all. Get a barracuda and a pool cover and with the filter etc it's relatively straight forward.

We love ours and would not be without it. Our kids (6 and 8) are always in it during the summer and we constantly have their friends round, especially on the ridiculously hot days.

It's also great to come in from work and jump in the pool with the kids, have a swim and chill with a beer or two.

We've spent a lot of time explaining the danger to the kids and they are very aware of this. We have a fence around one side and doors that close automatically in the house.

Not sure about the comment re comparing it to a public pool. You can't compare the benefits of your own pool to driving to a local pool.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Not sure about the comment re comparing it to a public pool. You can't compare the benefits of your own pool to driving to a local pool.
Don't have to drive, I can saunter, with my union jack towel tucked neatly under my arm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Don't have to drive, I can saunter, with my union jack towel tucked neatly under my arm.
Hopefully you haven't slipped into your speedos prior to sauntering through the streets
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:35 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to do it all over again I would not bother with a pool at all and go an outdoor heated spa.

There is no real value to it, running costs and the joy of seeing your ornamental pond in the winter. Seriously though, I think I used it twice this year.

Novelty wears off after a couple of years.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:43 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

At this time of year when our pool has not been used for the best part of 6 months I would be tempted to say that they are an expensive extravagance - money spent on maintenance, cleaning, electricity for the pool pump etc seems to be a constant drain. But with spring here now and the temps already rising the pool seems attractive again. Christmas day sat by or in the pool is worth all the years expense.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Have to say we love our pool!

It makes for a resort style time outdoors in the summer. Even when just sitting by it we feel relaxed etc.

When we've had long term visitors from the UK its been a boom, they don't feel they have to go out all the time and enjoy being able to casually go in the pool.

When hubby gets home after work its how he cools down and unwinds. Our pool has often seen action all year as when UK visitors come they still want to use it - no matter what time of year.

Some one once told me that although it may not add value to your house its a bit like double glazing in the UK, there is an expectation that its there and it makes the property more sale-able. Having said that we recently had our house valued and the valuer commented that a well done pool and outside area does add value.

Our only regret is not having it already there, if we were building now we would definitely have it put in at the time of building - saving mess etc. later.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

T x
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

we have only just moved to a property with a pool and i must admit so far it's been hassle (getting the water sorted, getting pool cover etc)

BUT since the weather has been so lovely and warm and sunny the temptation to go for a swim has been immense and I'm looking forward to our first hot summer with our own pool. Plus DD will get a lot of enjoyment out of it when she gets a big older (she's only 1 at the moment).

We are probably going to put some sort of water heating system in, probably solar, so we can get extra use out of it.

Having said all that..... having a pool for us wasnt the be all and end all - it's a bonus but we wouldnt have bothered with the hassle and expense of putting on in our new build that we just moved from.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:00 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The out laws went through the whole spa or pool thing and ended up with a spa as well. Its great having a few beers in the spa throughout the year and I think I would go the same way given the choice of the 2.

Originally Posted by Centurion
If I were to do it all over again I would not bother with a pool at all and go an outdoor heated spa.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes well worth it, I think solar heating is a must though becuase it extends the season so you get more bang for your buck.

I pool adds value, what might deter buyers is an older pool without decent fencing.

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
The out laws went through the whole spa or pool thing and ended up with a spa as well. Its great having a few beers in the spa throughout the year and I think I would go the same way given the choice of the 2.
Think we'll probably go the same way.

What are the regs regarding fence enclosure for a spa, if there are any?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:17 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

No fence around the out laws spa but with aussie regulations anything can happen.

Originally Posted by spartacus
Think we'll probably go the same way.

What are the regs regarding fence enclosure for a spa, if there are any?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to "live the Pommie dream" a pool is compulsory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.