Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pool in Melbourne??

Pool in Melbourne??

Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all
Default Pool in Melbourne??

Hi,
Is it worth having a pool in Melbourne?
How many months is it usable for?
Does it add value to the property?
Look at me we've only just exchanged contracts and already I'm thinking about a pool
Thank you all
Elfinxx
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool in Melbourne??

Originally Posted by elfin
Hi,
Look at me we've only just exchanged contracts and already I'm thinking about a pool
Thank you all
Elfinxx

some thing i would like to know too.
Mandy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

me too

def going to melbourne, but is it worth it the whole year round?

David
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thank you all
Elfinxx
Well we have been about 80k South of Sydney for three months or so and I havent noticed too many people splashing about in the pools, so I guess in Melbourne you may get six months of the year out of it...
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:43 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well we have been about 80k South of Sydney for three months or so and I havent noticed too many people splashing about in the pools, so I guess in Melbourne you may get six months of the year out of it...
We live in Melbourne and yes our neighbours have been using their pool through winter. Its heated and semi enclosed (has a roof but exposed from the sides above 180 cm).
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
Thank you all
Elfinxx
Live in Brissie so don't know how usable there but as far as add money probably not alot of Aussie i have met see a pool as more work than it's worth andtry a steer clear of houses with them , I had the same issue would it add money and then came to the mind of I don't care it will add to our family time and there is nothing like jumping in on a summers day our the morning after the night before
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippin lara
me too

def going to melbourne, but is it worth it the whole year round?

David

:scared: Outside pool, maybe 2 months. The temp does not stay consistently warm even it summer it varies, you could of course heat the pool and put it inside.

Qld unheated consistent warm in summer pool probably from sept to april.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 4th 2006 at 10:17 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

You'd probably be able to use it for about 4-5 months , say from late nov/ early dec until march, although not necessarily every day. However if you've got young kids they will be in it all the time during that spell so from that respect it probably would be worth it.

I'd say that generally once kids get into their teenage years the interest in it tapers off and you'd probably get more use out of a spa , which you can use all year round , takes up less space and is less maintenance .
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
:scared: Outside pool, maybe 2 months. The temp does not stay consistently warm even it summer it varies, you could of course heat the pool and put it inside.

Qld unheated consistent warm in summer pool probably from sept to april.
Our unheated pool is in use from October to April. Best from (say) November to March. Water buffers temperature quite well which helps. It's at least 22 degrees or so for most of the season and swimmable, on a nice day, for the serious swimmer, even at 20.

Even on the cool days of summer it is not generally cool enough to have a long term effect on the water due to the buffer effect. 2 months is complete rubbish, hmmm...frankly ridiculous. That would equate to Dec-Jan....people swim in the sea for more than this down here.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Our unheated pool is in use from October to April. Best from (say) November to March. Water buffers temperature quite well which helps. It's at least 22 degrees or so for most of the season and swimmable, on a nice day, for the serious swimmer, even at 20.

Even on the cool days of summer it is not generally cool enough to have a long term effect on the water due to the buffer effect. 2 months is complete rubbish, hmmm...frankly ridiculous. That would equate to Dec-Jan....people swim in the sea for more than this down here.
I recall last season's start vividly as my father in law (in his 70s) was itching to use ours. He left Melbourne the first week in November and had been swimming for a few weeks. I told him that he should not get in until the temperature was at least 20. AT LEAST. I remember him checking the water every day starting in October. He was in about halfway through.

Kids seem OK about extreme temps and 'cold'. They will love, and use a pool in Melbourne enough to make one worthwhile if you haven't paid for it.

A spa is the way for an older couple.