Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pool filter advice - broken?

Pool filter advice - broken?

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:00 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pool filter advice - broken?

I’m after some advice from those with pools – and specifically those who know something about the filters! Ours has just developed a problem where it continually filters some water to waste – even when in normal filter mode. It’s no where near as much as when you are actually filtering to waste but enough. Probably equivalent to a hosepipe on full in terms of water loss.

I’ve tried all sorts in terms of trying different settings etc. Next step is to call someone out, or possibly take the top off myself and have a look – might be that something’s in there keeping the valve from fully closing?

It’s a sand filter with the lever on top to switch between the different modes if that helps at all??

Cheers,

Graham
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Pool filter advice - broken?

If you can, take the top of the switch valve first, and check it.
It does sound like something has gone wrong inside that bit.

That lever is supposed to be a very simple water direction switch.
You might just have a bit of something that has caught in the valve.

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:27 pm

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you can, take the top of the switch valve first, and check it.
It does sound like something has gone wrong inside that bit.

That lever is supposed to be a very simple water direction switch.
You might just have a bit of something that has caught in the valve.
That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully I won't wreck it if I take it apart tonight!

Graham
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:46 pm
ABCDiamond

If yours is anything like mine, the top just screws off.

I have just read that a gasket may have broken down. That can happen if you turn the valve handle without turning off the water pump first.

If you know the brand, call your local pool shop, and ask how easy they are to open and repair, and if they carry the spares for them.

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

could be a broken o-ring, we had a similar problem, lost water and found the o-ring had corroded. simple fix and not many $$$
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northerner
I’m after some advice from those with pools – and specifically those who know something about the filters! Ours has just developed a problem where it continually filters some water to waste – even when in normal filter mode. It’s no where near as much as when you are actually filtering to waste but enough. Probably equivalent to a hosepipe on full in terms of water loss.

I’ve tried all sorts in terms of trying different settings etc. Next step is to call someone out, or possibly take the top off myself and have a look – might be that something’s in there keeping the valve from fully closing?

It’s a sand filter with the lever on top to switch between the different modes if that helps at all??

Cheers,

Graham
Tis your spider gasket gone.. let me know make model and approximate age and I will get you a price on one... on certain models it's just as well to replace the whole multi-port-valve as repairs just don't work.
Consider changing the media too if it's old.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:33 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

cheap fix.....put a shut off valve on the backwash and keep in the closed position.........only open when backwashing.

all the best plumb
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by the plumber
cheap fix.....put a shut off valve on the backwash and keep in the closed position.........only open when backwashing.

all the best plumb
I like a plumber who comes up with cheap options

Are you anywhere near me ?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:42 pm

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

no GODS country........Kingscliff.....
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

?[/QUOTE]

Hi Northerner.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:47 pm

hi.....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:25 am

Hi all - thanks for the replies/advice. Took the top off this morning and the o-ring (spider gasket?) had been dislodged so there was no proper seal. Took it out, cleaned it up and put it back in - seems to be fine now. Although may need to replace the seal at some point as it didn't look too clever.

Cheers,

Graham
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

nice one
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the plumber

all the best plumb
It's a work around alright... but worth remembering if your spider gasket is gone then adding a two way valve to the backwash will not stop the valve leaking between the other chambers when running. i.e. some of the water may be passing straight through the valve and back to the pool without passing through the sand and filtering at all.
Better to fix it proper!
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

We put the isolation valve on our waste pipe too a few years ago.

Our switch handle is snug under the deck and is now barely reachable since the bloke we had around during MrsB's pregnancy 'renovated' it and I often wondered if it was engaging properly. I suspect that our gasket is on the way out too but it is hard to access to fix.

We are considering getting a cartridge filter next, but just as I am about to part with the cash, the filter is doing a good job.