Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pool fencing regs apply to spas?

Pool fencing regs apply to spas?

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pool fencing regs apply to spas?

I can't seem to find the definitive answer to this so though I would ask it here Do pool fencing regulations apply to spas and hot tubs? I've got a spa that in the old place was on a deck which was fenced anyway, so I never gave it a second thought. Now this spa is in our back yard and although the yard itself is fenced off, there isn't specifically a fence around the spa. Do I need one?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:06 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool fencing regs apply to spas?

Originally Posted by wmoore
I can't seem to find the definitive answer to this so though I would ask it here Do pool fencing regulations apply to spas and hot tubs? I've got a spa that in the old place was on a deck which was fenced anyway, so I never gave it a second thought. Now this spa is in our back yard and although the yard itself is fenced off, there isn't specifically a fence around the spa. Do I need one?
Think you will find its not pool or spa but related to containment of water over set depth.

The rules extend past the fence and include surrounding obtacles that can be used too climb over regulation fences.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Think you will find its not pool or spa but related to containment of water over set depth.

The rules extend past the fence and include surrounding obtacles that can be used too climb over regulation fences.
I thought that might be the case dammit!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that even if you have one of those blow up pools you should have a fence so don't think you'll get away without a fence for the spa. Unless you have a padlockable cover on it and use that when you're not in it .
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:29 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/index.php?...=29&Itemid=102
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I believe that even if you have one of those blow up pools you should have a fence so don't think you'll get away without a fence for the spa. Unless you have a padlockable cover on it and use that when you're not in it .
That is actually one of the most common reasons given in Australia for "safety fence breaches"

Spas
An outdoor spa, even with a lockable cover, meets the definition of a swimming pool and as such requires a development approval for building work and a complying pool fence.
http://www.caloundra.qld.gov.au/webs...-pool_faqs.asp

Wading pools
A swimming pool does not include a portable wading pool.
Portable wading pools do not need to be fenced if they hold no more than 2000 litres of water that is less than 450 mm deep and have no filtration system.
The above is for Queensland.

In NSW and WA, it is: "If the portable wading pool is not more than 300mm deep it does not fit the definition of a swimming pool under the Act"

I would estimate about 95% of these small pool/spas probably do not have fences.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:40 am
What's happening dudes?

Thanks. I did find that but I don't have a pool, it's a spa. Maybe the government can't tell the different but I can

My spa has a lockable lid and I've been told today that this is sufficient.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:45 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Spas
An outdoor spa, even with a lockable cover, meets the definition of a swimming pool and as such requires a development approval for building work and a complying pool fence.
http://www.caloundra.qld.gov.au/webs...-pool_faqs.asp
What crap (that link, not you ). So even if I have a lockable cover (which is bloody heavy as it goes) and it is enclosed in my garden behind a lockable gate, I still have to build a fence to stop young children accidentally falling in? Gotta love the muppets who make the regulations don't you?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:45 am
ABCDiamond

What crap (that link, not you ). So even if I have a lockable cover (which is bloody heavy as it goes) and it is enclosed in my garden behind a lockable gate, I still have to build a fence to stop young children accidentally falling in? Gotta love the muppets who make the regulations don't you?
and don't forget the "development approval"

Can you imagine the forms to be filled in for the "development" of your spa ?

I wonder if anyone has actually gone through the process of that...

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:49 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
and don't forget the "development approval"

Can you imagine the forms to be filled in for the "development" of your spa ?

I wonder if anyone has actually gone through the process of that...
Let me tell you one person who won't be .......
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

My spa has a lockable lid and I've been told today that this is sufficient.
Presumably by a spa salesman? That's what we were told when we were looking into it - but if you delve deeper (which you've done) you'll find out it's a load of old b*****s.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

The whole ruling is a load of cobblers................look how many lakes there are in local parks....none of them have to comply with the Councils Rulings???

We have no kids in our house yet had to cough up a small fortune for pool fencing!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:56 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

But loads of kids have drown in ponds/pools while visiting relatives/friends.

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
We have no kids in our house yet had to cough up a small fortune for pool fencing!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
But loads of kids have drown in ponds/pools while visiting relatives/friends.
.............and loads of kids have drowned in the sea.

Only a few months back a toddler drowned in a lake here in WA.

My opinion is if you have little kids then you watch them!!!
We used to take our boys to Spain every year for holidays, none of their pools are fenced off. The kids were my responsibility to look out for!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
.............and loads of kids have drowned in the sea.

Only a few months back a toddler drowned in a lake here in WA.

My opinion is if you have little kids then you watch them!!!
We used to take our boys to Spain every year for holidays, none of their pools are fenced off. The kids were my responsibility to look out for!!
Damn right. A child is for life not just for Christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.