Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pool care in winter...

Pool care in winter...

Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:57 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pool care in winter...

Hello,

A quick question for all the pool owners out there - what do you do with it in winter?! At the moment I just run the filter for a few hours a day (over night) and don't bother with the creepy crawly. Occasionally check ph but that's about it. I bought a cover for it to keep it clean(ish) but would be interested to get other people's opinions/experiences.

Do you just leave it ticking over until spring and then hit it with chemicals/buffers etc and give it a good clean ready for summer??

Any advice very welcome!!

Cheers,

Graham
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pool care in winter...

We put chlorine in once a week as it's not covered and otherwise it starts to go cloudy. Our landlord has set the timers for the crawler etc. so it's still going at Summer pace which is annoying me a bit, but I guess it's better than having to do a major job in a few months time. I'll be interested to hear what others do.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

There was a thread on this very subject a few weeks ago.

With our pool I run the pump/creepy for a few hours once a week or two. Throw in a bit of chlorine (a cup), and clear the leaves.

That's all.
No problems at all.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:22 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
We put chlorine in once a week as it's not covered and otherwise it starts to go cloudy. Our landlord has set the timers for the crawler etc. so it's still going at Summer pace which is annoying me a bit, but I guess it's better than having to do a major job in a few months time. I'll be interested to hear what others do.
I still have my water tested monthly and add whatever chemicals I need as if you have a poor chemical mixture for too long it can damage the pool.

I have a saltwater pool, so maintenance is low, but I would treat it as if it were summer, just run the filter for fewer hours and change the settings to winter rather than summer.

But I would treat it with as much care as you would if you were using daily, like in summer !
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I still have my water tested monthly and add whatever chemicals I need as if you have a poor chemical mixture for too long it can damage the pool.

I have a saltwater pool, so maintenance is low, but I would treat it as if it were summer, just run the filter for fewer hours and change the settings to winter rather than summer.

But I would treat it with as much care as you would if you were using daily, like in summer !
I would agree with that. My husband spends the same amount of time on the pool as in summer.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

I dont know why but my neighbour seems to have had their creepy crawly going non stop for the past 5 days, and his pool is so near our house, that we have to put up the noise vibrating through our lounge all bl**dy day. I really can't understand it.
:curse:
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:34 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

just make sure your chlorine levels don't get too high........otherwise its starts to break down any plastic/rubber parts of the pool.....ie.....solar blanket,skimmer box,return eyeballs,liner(if not concrete shell.

all the best plumb.....

ps don't forget if you life on the goldcoast and you have a pool problem give me a call...0410862034

Last edited by the plumber; Jun 16th 2008 at 8:37 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brickies wife
I dont know why but my neighbour seems to have had their creepy crawly going non stop for the past 5 days, and his pool is so near our house, that we have to put up the noise vibrating through our lounge all bl**dy day. I really can't understand it.
:curse:
Go and talk to them. Explain nicely and ask them to come around your house to experience the noise/vibration. This happened to a friend of mine and the neighbours were not aware of the noise and it was all sorted out without stress.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:06 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

sounds like the chlorinator as been put on manual,not on timer and thats why its running 24/7.
i'd do the same,tell your neighbour,he or she probably has'nt realised.

all the best plumb....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:27 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the feedback - better check it a bit more often

Graham
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Thanks northernbird and plumber, I will try and speak to them, but haven't found them to be too friendly so far. The pool is only a metre away from their house too so I would have thought it would get on their nerves too.

Mind you, don't want to speak too soon, but it is off today.

Tina
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

When we was having builiding work done the builders turned off the pump for a few weeks - it went terrible and looked like there had been a murder!