Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pool build - estimate for excavation - 4 hours - reasonable??

pool build - estimate for excavation - 4 hours - reasonable??

Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default pool build - estimate for excavation - 4 hours - reasonable??

We have three quotes for building a pool. Each quotes the excavation separately. Two give a price only and one quotes by number of hours - 4. The latter is the most favourable quote.

My question is this.

Does 4 hours seem a reasonable length of time for the excavation of the pool. It will be with a 13 t machine.

The last thing I want is additional costs at the end of the job.

Thanks

Nicky
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pool build - estimate for excavation - 4 hours - reasonable??

Be careful when a quote itemises things instead of quoting for a total.

One trick used here is to give the quotation with so many cu. m of concrete, so many hours etc - and then demand thousands extra because the amount quoted for was exceeded. And you don't have a leg to stand on even though the estimated amounts were wildly out - probably deliberately.

Insist on an overall, final figure and compare quotes on that. If they can't, or won't, go elsewhere.

Last edited by Wol; Jul 21st 2008 at 9:26 am.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micnic
We have three quotes for building a pool. Each quotes the excavation separately. Two give a price only and one quotes by number of hours - 4. The latter is the most favourable quote.

My question is this.

Does 4 hours seem a reasonable length of time for the excavation of the pool. It will be with a 13 t machine.

Thanks

Nicky

4 hours to dig a pool, not in my experience. the pool mob will usually give an allowance of hours/price then you pay for the rest, you need what hourly rate you will be charged in writing. Weve had pools dug in 8 hours, thats a small pool in easy soil, strike clay.tree roots of a large gum let alone rock or even just a big pool and 4 hours is not much at all, worse we had was 3 days.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wol
Be careful when a quote itemises things instead of quoting for a total.

Insist on an overall, final figure and compare quotes on that. If they can't, or won't, go elsewhere.
Are there companies who will commit to a final figure then, regardless of the actual excavation time?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:14 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Even in Australia there must be people who are competent enough to know the quantities involved in their trade and therefore able to give a firm figure.

I was silly enough to accept a quote for preparing and turfing my garden based on a quote which didn't itemise exactly what preparation was proposed, and which gave the area as 1600m2. It actually came to several thousand more because the area was underestimated. If the contract had said "turf the agreed, and marked, area" it would have been up to the contractor to do just that but, as it was, I had to pay for the extra over the 1600m2 on the quote.

The story's against myself, but it might help you to avoid the same sort of mistake.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Are there companies who will commit to a final figure then, regardless of the actual excavation time?
I see you're on the Gold Coast. Check out Sundollar Pools. They built ours and we found them quite reasonable, and yes, they will give you a quote for the entire job. Ours measures 7m x 4m and including a water feature came in just under $21,000.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hey

Do a search for astonman's pool build i think i remember him being quoted for number of hours and then him and builder having a big row.

Paddy
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassie
I see you're on the Gold Coast. Check out Sundollar Pools. They built ours and we found them quite reasonable, and yes, they will give you a quote for the entire job. Ours measures 7m x 4m and including a water feature came in just under $21,000.
Hi Sassie,

Actually the quote is from sundollar! I saw various posts of yours recommending them. At the moment they are quoting 4 hours for excavation. I intend to speak to them again to see if they can fix it. Was your original quote an all in price with no possible additions then?

Nicky
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sassie,

Actually the quote is from sundollar! I saw various posts of yours recommending them. At the moment they are quoting 4 hours for excavation. I intend to speak to them again to see if they can fix it. Was your original quote an all in price with no possible additions then?

Nicky
Hi Nicky. Gosh, that's surprising. Yes our quote was all inclusive, no extra costs whatsoever. They did stress though that if they struck solid rock whilst excavating, the costs might escalate, due to extra time involved, and when they did strike rock, we were expcecting to pay extra, but they didnt' charge us anymore.

I can't remember exactly how long they were on site for, re excavating. think it was about 4-5 hours.

Last edited by sassie; Jul 21st 2008 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

My question is this.

Thanks

Nicky
How big is the pool and how far is the tip from you?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveyp
How big is the pool and how far is the tip from you?
23 linear metres and the tip is about 10 - 15 minutes away I think
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:02 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

My question is this.

Thanks

Nicky
Hey there, we had pool done last year and it took 2 full days as they hit rock after the first foot of soil, so around 20 hours for hours and it was only 21LM pool!!!! B care full, Pete
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather just donate my money to charity than build another pool.

Think the worse case scenario imo if its not in writing.

By far the most expensive pond I have ever owned. Next house = hot tub.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

23 linear metres and the tip is about 10 - 15 minutes away I think
Sound tight to me, with a 10m cube truck I reckon it's 3 loads away.
I would give it 6-8 hours.
Assuming sandy soil.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We've had 2 pools built - both took about 1 day to dig - the 2nd took a couple of additional hours with a rock breaker. Our quotes were for a fixed amount unless they hit rock then it was undetermined (i.e on an hourly rate for the rock breaker). It was a nervous time when they brought in the rock breaker but it wasn't as bad as we feared.

You should be able to get some idea of what they might hit from your soil tests.