Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pondering moving

Pondering moving

Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about
Default Pondering moving

Hi

My wife, 1 year old daughter and myself are pondering a move down under and i am looking for some help/advice.

We are both mid 30's and I have worked in IT (IT support) for 17 years (13 years in Royal Navy as engineering artificer) and although i don't hold a degree i do hold HND Electronic/ Electrical engineering, also Cisco CCNA qualified and have done various approved Microsoft/ Citrix courses although not taken any MCSE exams yet.

I need to get my RPL skills accessed by ACT and do you think i should do the MCSE exams or just apply now and fingers crossed?

What are the job prospects for a IT (server/ thin client/ PC support) guy in the Sydney area?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:26 pm
Daryl

darylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to all
Default Re: Pondering moving

Hi Andy, my story is very similar. I'm also ex Navy and have worked in IT Support, although I made the move into IT Security 3 years ago. We're in our final stages of the migration process and are hoping to move to Brisbane. I can't speak with any authority on the job situation out there but from my research on the Oz job boards it seems to be quite healthy, especially Sydney, and the fact that many IT jobs have now returned to the MODL is also a good indicator.

I hold a MCSE so I managed to get the full 60 points from the ACS (even though it is only NT4 version), they still however asked me to complete 2 project essays.

In terms of what you should do now it depends how quickly you want to move. With your experience I shouldn't see it being a problem going the RPL route. You could always study for the MCSE at the same time if for no other reason than to aid your applications when you're out there (qualifications seem to count a lot more in Oz than in the UK).

Regards

Daryl
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:28 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andydon
Hi

My wife, 1 year old daughter and myself are pondering a move down under and i am looking for some help/advice.

We are both mid 30's and I have worked in IT (IT support) for 17 years (13 years in Royal Navy as engineering artificer) and although i don't hold a degree i do hold HND Electronic/ Electrical engineering, also Cisco CCNA qualified and have done various approved Microsoft/ Citrix courses although not taken any MCSE exams yet.

I need to get my RPL skills accessed by ACT and do you think i should do the MCSE exams or just apply now and fingers crossed?

What are the job prospects for a IT (server/ thin client/ PC support) guy in the Sydney area?

Thanks

Andy
Hi Andy,

IT not really my field although if you view the jobs through Theage.com this might give you an insight into what is in demand and may give you a list of agent to contact directly for more market insight.

Good Luck
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about

Hi Daryl

Thanks for reply.

I had thought along the same lines, applying just now but still doing MCSE for when i get out there but was not sure if my qualification just now were enough to gain entry. How long did the process of going to the ACS take? Also, if they give you the green light how long is that valid for, i think i read somewhere that it is valid for only 6 months?

Did you manage to get a reference from the Navy?

What made you choose brisbane, we are not total decided on Sydney. Thought of Melbourne but work with a guy who is from there and he told me it's a bit like London, busy during the week but dead at weekends. We are between Sydney and Brisbane just now, I like the house prices in Brisbane better.

Thanks

Andy

Originally Posted by darylh
Hi Andy, my story is very similar. I'm also ex Navy and have worked in IT Support, although I made the move into IT Security 3 years ago. We're in our final stages of the migration process and are hoping to move to Brisbane. I can't speak with any authority on the job situation out there but from my research on the Oz job boards it seems to be quite healthy, especially Sydney, and the fact that many IT jobs have now returned to the MODL is also a good indicator.

I hold a MCSE so I managed to get the full 60 points from the ACS (even though it is only NT4 version), they still however asked me to complete 2 project essays.

In terms of what you should do now it depends how quickly you want to move. With your experience I shouldn't see it being a problem going the RPL route. You could always study for the MCSE at the same time if for no other reason than to aid your applications when you're out there (qualifications seem to count a lot more in Oz than in the UK).

Regards

Daryl
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:00 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Phone an immigration agent (loads on the internet) get them to give you a free assessment.

You'll soon find out if your qualified enough to get here
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:06 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Thanks

Andy
Andy, plenty of IT opportunities for good people in Sydney. Wherever there's business, there's IT, and if you can talk yourself up above the competition, most jobs are within reach if you can deliver. Be mindful of which agencies (if any) you use, and grow your personal network as best you can. Aussies love personal references more than meaningless qualifications IMO. I hold a number of IT certifications (MCSE, CCIE) but found nothing more powerful than real world experience and the ability to communicate effectively. I'm now an IT manager having arrived in Dec 05, and started recruiting for our company. I honestly can't believe the level of crap applications coming from the agencies.

Good luck with your visa application.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:06 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Andy
My understanding is there is no shortage of IT people here, however they are finding it difficult to recruit for the defence forces now. Would you be prepared to do another stint say in the aussie navy?

Also check out these sites to get some further info:

www.dimia.gov.au

http://jobsearch.gov.au

Should help give you a bit more info on things

Good luck
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:24 pm
Daryl

darylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to all

Hi Andy,

The ACS application took 3 or 4 months for me but that isn't typical. Most people seem to complete that stage in 4-6 weeks. Mine just took longer because they came back to me asking for further info (project essays and transcripts of qualifications).

I tried getting a reference from the Navy, I rang Centurion to see if they could help but they weren't very helpful. Just told me to send a letter and they'll see what they can do. In the end I didn't need it because I had been out over 5 years.

We've chose Brisbane simply because we have friends in Brisbane but if it comes to it I'm happy to move to any of the Cities as long as there's work. As long as the weather's hot, beer's cold, we get a big house with a pool, I'll be happy!

Good luck anyway whatever you decide

Daryl
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Daryl,

I would definately recommend going the RPL route through the ACS. It's a lot of hard work but then again if the migration process was easy everyone would be doing it.

With your experience you would definately qualify for RPL. I know there was some talk a year ago about CCNA being recognized (similar to MCSE) but have not heard anything since).

It would certainly be worth talking to the ACS or checking the website http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?acti...killassessment
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers TraceyW, did online interview with OZmigrate and they tell me i have a great chance of getting skilled visa. Just need to fill in the mountain of forms for RPL.

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Phone an immigration agent (loads on the internet) get them to give you a free assessment.

You'll soon find out if your qualified enough to get here
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Not wanting to go down the route of Navy again, too much time away from family etc.

QUOTE=kiwichild]My understanding is there is no shortage of IT people here, however they are finding it difficult to recruit for the defence forces now. Would you be prepared to do another stint say in the aussie navy?

www.dimia.gov.au

Good luck [/QUOTE]
Old Mar 17th 2006, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Mike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the rough

The best IT job site I've found is www.seek.com.au Most companies will advertise there first and they have every level and type of IT job imaginable.

Good luck - but be aware most companies will want you in Oz before taking your application seriously.

Not wanting to go down the route of Navy again, too much time away from family etc.

QUOTE=kiwichild]My understanding is there is no shortage of IT people here, however they are finding it difficult to recruit for the defence forces now. Would you be prepared to do another stint say in the aussie navy?

www.dimia.gov.au

Good luck
[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 17th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

What made you choose brisbane, we are not total decided on Sydney. Thought of Melbourne but work with a guy who is from there and he told me it's a bit like London, busy during the week but dead at weekends. We are between Sydney and Brisbane just now, I like the house prices in Brisbane better.
I don't know who told you Melbourne was dead on weekends but they need their heads examined