British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Poms and Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/poms-perth-410508/)

Lord Pom Percy Nov 28th 2006 5:07 am

Poms and Perth

Why do so many Poms want to move to Perth. Most other migrant nationalities prefer Sydney or Melbourne. Alot of Aussies see Perth as a small isolated city miles from anywhere surrounded by desert. With house prices in Perth so inflated now is it worth moving there over the eastern states, is the quality of life better in Perth then the eastern states?

sunbather Nov 28th 2006 5:26 am

Re: Poms and Perth

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Why do so many Poms want to move to Perth. Most other migrant nationalities prefer Sydney or Melbourne. Alot of Aussies see Perth as a small isolated city miles from anywhere surrounded by desert. With house prices in Perth so inflated now is it worth moving there over the eastern states, is the quality of life better in Perth then the eastern states?

I have family here already so that was a major factor in our decision, but also when we were first applying houses were still very cheap here compared to over East.

NickyC Nov 28th 2006 5:33 am

That's a question I've often asked myself - can't understand the attraction at all. There's nothing particularly bad about Perth, it's a nice, clean shiny city, but I believe there are other equally nice parts of Australia that AREN'T miles from anywhere else and surrounded by desert.

Maybe it's a psychological thing - poms in Perth are only about 10,000k from 'home', instead of the 12,000k they'd be if they lived on this side!

steve99 Nov 28th 2006 5:50 am

IMO:
Because Brisbane is a dump doesnt have any beaches, is relatively dirty, has crap restaurants, is humid for a couple of months a year, and it takes too long to get from the sunshine Coast to be able to work in Brisbane (oh and is miles from Perth)

Sydney - would be just like living in London, wouldnt be enough of a change to life in the UK, more work pressure etc

Melbourne - crap unreliable weather, decent beaches are long way from the CBD.

Adelaide - never been (going in April) , but cant see any reason to choose to live there over Perth.

Hobart - Thankfully managed to get a flight out 2 days early on our only visit there. ;)

In Perth I live a 2 or 3 min walk to the ocean and fantastic beaches, it takes me 7 mins to drive to work (at a company which is the leader in it field in Australia) and it would take about another 8 in peak hour traffic (so 15 total incase you cant add up ;) to commute to the CBD. Cant see that you would be able to do that in any of the above cities.)
There's only one reason I can come up with to not live in Perth, you cant go skiing here. I couldnt where I lived in the UK so a 3 1/2 hr flight from Perth is no major drama (although the quality of snow and skiing in the Eastern States is a bit of an issue)

Amazulu Nov 28th 2006 6:26 am

Because it's the best place in australia.
Sydney is like London with sunshine.
Melbourne is like London that gets hot now & then.
Brisbane is a total craphole & then some.
Never met an Aussie have anything nice to say about Adelaide.

Can earn big bucks in Perth, like a lot of other people here. It's closer to the UK & South Africa. East coast is too 'isolated' for me. The economy is booming. The sun shines, the women are beautiful, the beer is good & I have a great house in an awesome location.

It's all good.:)

wavy_davy Nov 28th 2006 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Because it's the best place in australia.
Sydney is like London with sunshine.
Melbourne is like London that gets hot now & then.
Brisbane is a total craphole & then some.

Can earn big bucks in Perth, like a lot of other people here. It's closer to the UK & South Africa. East coast is too 'isolated' for me. The economy is booming. The sun shines, the women are beautiful, the beer si good & I have a great house in an awesome location.

It's all good.:)

Took the words right out of my mouth! ;)

Vash the Stampede Nov 28th 2006 6:31 am

You've met me. :)

And I'm a Perth boy, born and bred. :cool:

movetoperth Nov 28th 2006 6:39 am

I first came to Perth 22 years ago, i knew then that it was where i wanted to be, it felt far more like home than anywhere else i'd been. We didn't decide to emigrate then set about deciding where we would go, we decided we were going to move to Perth...... why? because it felt right to us. It has nothing to do with house prices, a house costs what it costs, it has nothing to do with being closer to the uk what does it matter if you are 22 hours or 25 hours? plus i have no intention on ever going there anyway.

I can't give you a real reason as to why it was Perth over the eastern states, Canada, the US or Scotland, i can only say that it felt like home all those years ago and nothings changed.

Lynn

Amazulu Nov 28th 2006 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You've met me. :)

And I'm a Perth boy, born and bred. :cool:

Sure. I can honestly say that a lot of Aussies do not have much good to say about Adelaide. Maybe it's ignorance or they are biased but I'm just calling it as I see it. I have never been there so cannot comment personally.

Wendy Nov 28th 2006 6:53 am

Sure. I can honestly say that a lot of Aussies do not have much good to say about Adelaide. Maybe it's ignorance or they are biased but I'm just calling it as I see it. I have never been there so cannot comment personally.

I've met some from Perth who say it is a dump, and some from Cairns who think it's lovely. The ones that live here (born and bred mostly) all think it's fabulous.

I guess it's the same as anywhere, some like it, others loathe it and some are indifferent :)

Luma Nov 28th 2006 6:56 am

Perhaps the skills shortage has something to do with it.

renth Nov 28th 2006 6:58 am

I think it was the cheap houses. I feel more poms will head to QLD from now on instead.

Lord Pom Percy Nov 28th 2006 6:58 am

Originally Posted by steve99
IMO:
Because Brisbane is a dump doesnt have any beaches, is relatively dirty, has crap restaurants, is humid for a couple of months a year, and it takes too long to get from the sunshine Coast to be able to work in Brisbane (oh and is miles from Perth)

Sydney - would be just like living in London, wouldnt be enough of a change to life in the UK, more work pressure etc

Melbourne - crap unreliable weather, decent beaches are long way from the CBD.

Adelaide - never been (going in April) , but cant see any reason to choose to live there over Perth.

Hobart - Thankfully managed to get a flight out 2 days early on our only visit there. ;)

In Perth I live a 2 or 3 min walk to the ocean and fantastic beaches, it takes me 7 mins to drive to work (at a company which is the leader in it field in Australia) and it would take about another 8 in peak hour traffic (so 15 total incase you cant add up ;) to commute to the CBD. Cant see that you would be able to do that in any of the above cities.)
There's only one reason I can come up with to not live in Perth, you cant go skiing here. I couldnt where I lived in the UK so a 3 1/2 hr flight from Perth is no major drama (although the quality of snow and skiing in the Eastern States is a bit of an issue)

What about Tasmania, no pollution, lowest crime rate in OZ, nice green countryside, spectacular coastline, never gets too hot in summer or flies,
low house prices, snow in winter, isolated but so is Perth.

andrew63 Nov 28th 2006 7:00 am

Poms
Early
Retirement
To
Heaven

northernbird Nov 28th 2006 7:02 am

historically it was because it was WAY cheaper than the eastern states. I think the people arriving in Perth just now started their visa applications probably 18 months ago when the prices were so much cheaper. I think the number of people coming to perth that are not associated with the resource industrywill start to drop now because of the higher house prices.

Personally we never planned to come here, we were heading to Canada but husband got offered a job and here we are.