Poms and Perth

Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poms and Perth

Originally Posted by steve99
IMO:
Melbourne - crap unreliable weather, decent beaches are long way from the CBD.
Weather? Yeah, OK then We'll keep that a secret....

Depends what sort of beaches you like - ocean beaches are quite a drive from the CBD (though fine if you are living in Mornington area). Bay beaches around Chelsea for example are perfect for kids - white sand, clear, shallow water.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think it was the cheap houses. I feel more poms will head to QLD from now on instead.
Basically!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:24 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It seem that most people are going to Brisbane now, from the posts on this site anyway.

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Why do so many Poms want to move to Perth. Most other migrant nationalities prefer Sydney or Melbourne. Alot of Aussies see Perth as a small isolated city miles from anywhere surrounded by desert. With house prices in Perth so inflated now is it worth moving there over the eastern states, is the quality of life better in Perth then the eastern states?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
historically it was because it was WAY cheaper than the eastern states. I think the people arriving in Perth just now started their visa applications probably 18 months ago when the prices were so much cheaper. I think the number of people coming to perth that are not associated with the resource industrywill start to drop now because of the higher house prices.
you are right. I look at figures for my personal interest from Germany, Holland and France, the numbers are down between 40 and 50% from the year before.

Asian countries are up, UK i don't know, haven't checked.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Poms and Perth

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure. I can honestly say that a lot of Aussies do not have much good to say about Adelaide. Maybe it's ignorance or they are biased but I'm just calling it as I see it. I have never been there so cannot comment personally.
If you go to Adelaide, you will find plenty of Aussies with a lot of good to say about it. Many of them have moved to South Australia from other states.

It's not for everyone, but it's more popular than people think. A highly underrated city in a highly uderrated state, IMHO.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:38 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Poms and Perth

What about Tasmania, no pollution, lowest crime rate in OZ, nice green countryside, spectacular coastline, never gets too hot in summer or flies,
low house prices, snow in winter, isolated but so is Perth.
Very narrow job prospects; very small population (around 500,000 for the entire state); very cold weather, very limited shopping (when compared to the mainland).

I lived there for 15 years, and now only go back for holidays. It's a great place to visit (and perhaps even retire) but if Poms think their kids will be bored in places like Perth, they will be utterly comatose in Tassie.

And I'm speaking as someone who actually likes the place!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

..............Because we like it here..................
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think it was the cheap houses. I feel more poms will head to QLD from now on instead.
I bloody hope so.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello your Lordship

I think you answered your own question when you said most other migrant nationalities prefer Sydney or Melbourne. Most poms I've met here have moved to get away from these other nationalities.

It's the same with the ozzy's I work with none of them would move to Sydney. "leave it to the lebs and Asians" seems to be a popular theme (even those originally from Sydney).

It seems at last the prices in Perth may have peaked with sellers now having to take less than the asking price. A few houses near me have been on the market for 2 months now with no sold sign yet.

Keel

Why do so many Poms want to move to Perth. Most other migrant nationalities prefer Sydney or Melbourne. Alot of Aussies see Perth as a small isolated city miles from anywhere surrounded by desert. With house prices in Perth so inflated now is it worth moving there over the eastern states, is the quality of life better in Perth then the eastern states?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:15 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well my parents moved us here in 1983 and so I had family here when it came time for me to come back! I think also, because Perth is pretty small (city wise) it is just.... I dunno, homely!

When I see the city from the plane window as we land, I get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye!

Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of Aussies coming here from the Eastern States, many are quite happy to leave the Sydney rat race and high house prices, some are sick of the constant heat of Queensland. Mates who have lived in Melbourne prefer Perth. It's not actually that isolated, there is more to WA than Perth and the Nullabor.
Perth is great. It's not just Poms coming here either, there are loads of South Africans and Kiwis. I've even picked up a weird South African twang, which is a bit worrying.
There are pockets which are quite Anglicised but most of Perth is quite multicultural.
As for being great for retirees, I don't take this as an insult. In fact the Aussie OAPs look very happy; the units, old age folks homes and retirement villages look great for them, which I think shows that the Aussies haven't sold out on their old folk, which is a good thing - Perth is good for all ages. For teens there's the surfy lifestyle, lots of house parties and so on, and it's great living for families too. Perth is great for everyone and this is worth considering if you're planning for the long term. I'd rather be a wrinkly over here than in the UK!
Then again, we're getting full now so bog off elsewhere
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:18 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
There's a lot of Aussies coming here from the Eastern States, many are quite happy to leave the Sydney rat race and high house prices, some are sick of the constant heat of Queensland. Mates who have lived in Melbourne prefer Perth. It's not actually that isolated, there is more to WA than Perth and the Nullabor.
Perth is great. It's not just Poms coming here either, there are loads of South Africans and Kiwis. I've even picked up a weird South African twang, which is a bit worrying.
There are pockets which are quite Anglicised but most of Perth is quite multicultural.
As for being great for retirees, I don't take this as an insult. In fact the Aussie OAPs look very happy; the units, old age folks homes and retirement villages look great for them, which I think shows that the Aussies haven't sold out on their old folk, which is a good thing - Perth is good for all ages. For teens there's the surfy lifestyle, lots of house parties and so on, and it's great living for families too. Perth is great for everyone and this is worth considering if you're planning for the long term. I'd rather be a wrinkly over here than in the UK!
Then again, we're getting full now so bog off elsewhere
I agree, I think many retirees have a great life.
I'm gonna move into one of thoses places for over 45's...............only trouble is the kids will still only be 14 and 12 I'm sure they'll be fine!
Tracey
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:19 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Perth is a fantastic city, and yes I was born there but after travelling the world I am beginning to realise just how lucky I am am that it is "home." It is not perfect, but has close to a perfect lifestyle in my opinion.

Another reason there are so many Poms there is that a lot of the ten pound poms who came over on cruise ships got off at Fremantle because they were sick of sailing!! It was the first stop in Australia. Thats what my parent's best friends did in 1970!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:50 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Have to agree Perth is so superior to anywhere else in Oz.

Its almost summer here in Melbourne & its so cold its almost snowing.

If your thinking of coming to Aus you can hardly go past Perth. Hardly worth even thinking of Melbourne.

Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:02 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

What about Tasmania, no pollution, lowest crime rate in OZ, nice green countryside, spectacular coastline, never gets too hot in summer or flies,
low house prices, snow in winter, isolated but so is Perth.
Did you not read my comment about Hobart ??? we visited friends there for 6 days, after 4 we managed to escape.

Tasmania is like Scotland without the luxury of being attached to England
sure it can look nice, but its so boring, the weather is worse than the UK. For most getting a decent Job would be the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.