Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poms Go Home, Lured by Cheap Pound!!

Poms Go Home, Lured by Cheap Pound!!

Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poms Go Home, Lured by Cheap Pound!!

Unless you are cashed up - Australia is looking less attractive to Poms.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/poms-...0325-qykw.html

Poms go home, lured by cheap pound CHRIS ZAPPONE
March 25, 2010 - 1:41PM

The dollar's 25-year high against the pound and soaring housing prices are prompting some British residents to return to the Sceptred Isle.

Adding to the urge to return is the slump in UK real estate values, creating an attractive disparity in prices for Brits who own property in Australia. While UK prices have bounced back from their lows, they remain on average 12 per cent below their peak, and may remain subdued by a sluggish local economy.

Manchester-born Harrison Brown is one person heading for the departure lounge. Mr Brown is selling the home in Queensland's Gold Coast he bought in December 2008 and moving his family back to live in a home they own north of London.

''We're now going back on Monday,'' said Mr Brown, who had lived in England for 13 years as an adult, and adds that he expects to sell at a ''good profit'' when the house goes to auction in May.

''It's a good time to go back,'' he said. ''I think it's a very good time to be out there with a bit of cash and selling the property out here.''

While reports of a UK repatriation surge remain mostly anecdotal, some in the financial markets detect the shift. Spencer Wilcox, managing director of forex dealing house HiFX, said he noticed the trend at the start of this year, and it's accelerated from ''about 10 kilometres an hour in late December to about 90 kilometres an hour right now.''

Money moving

While Australia's economy boasts better employment prospects than Britain, the rising cost of local housing - up almost 14 per cent last year in capital cities - is prompting some recent arrivals to re-calculate the benefits of staying. Those sums may become more compelling, with analysts such as APM's Matthew Bell predicting house price gains of about 8 per cent in 2010.

HiFX, which conducts about 200 Australian dollar/pound deals a month locally for private clients, said it has seen the 50 per cent jump in the number of individuals selling large amounts of Australian dollars to purchase real estate in the UK, Mr Wilcox said.

''Most English people have a good handle of where the exchange rate is at any time,'' said Mr Wilcox, adding that they often remember the rate they received when they moved to Australia.

The dollar, currently buying about 61 pence, makes it "the best time in 25 years to move back to England," said Mr Wilcox.

A British person who arrived in Australia on April 1, 2006 with 200,000 pounds would have received about $485,000 in exchange, said Mr Wilcox. Had that money been invested in Australian property, it may now be worth about $700,000. At current exchange rates, the person would receive 427,000 pounds - more than double the original sum.

Some British clients are making preparations to make spot transfers and forward hedges on the currency - not necessarily tied to property sales, another forex dealer said.

''We've seen an increase in interest from clients looking to lock in or hedge their currency for future transfer (to the UK)'', said Jim Vrondas, senior foreign exchange manager at Macquarie-owned OzForex.

''That's with a view that the currency is good and the property market in the UK is still pretty subdued and prices are still relatively low,'' he said.

Immigration figures suggest that Australia is also becoming less attractive for Brits. While the UK accounted for the second largest number of immigrants to Australia in the year to June 2009, their numbers dropped 7 per cent to 21,600 people for the year.

That drop compares with a 20 per cent jump in New Zealanders to 33,000, while immigration from India rose about 10 per cent to 17,000 while those from mainland Chinese rose by 15 per cent to about 15,000, according to data from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

[email protected]

Business Day
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:50 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poms Go Home, Lured by Cheap Pound!!

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Unless you are cashed up - Australia is looking less attractive to Poms.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/poms-...0325-qykw.html
waste of time with currwent exchange unless a millionaire
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

What are they going to do when they get there? Unemployment is through the roof... There goes what profits are made from the exchange rate.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

The cashed up Poms originally bid up the houses here in Perth Northern suburbs over the years - this has gone into reversal.

There are whole suburbs dedicated to the original cashed up POMS which are now stalling - less and les rich Pommy buyers, Burns Beach, Iluka, Mindarie, Ocean Reef, Sorrento, Hillarys, etc, etc. I guess the WA Govt could always have an expo in China luring the Chinese millionaires to buy our overpriced McMansions in Perth's NOR to take place of the Poms.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deancm
What are they going to do when they get there? Unemployment is through the roof... There goes what profits are made from the exchange rate.
My mates are still working in UK, it's not as busy as it was but they are still doing OK, still going on holidays, interest rates are low so they have more money in their pockets at the end of the day.

If you are able to sell your house here, have no mortgage in UK and some money in the bank then perhaps that's the deal clincher. No mortgage means you'll be able to be able to live off less anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I posted about this a few weeks ago. Everyone's situation is different, but in my situation and not boasting, I have a pretty high value house with no mortgage (paid it off) as well as some cash in the UK (earning no interest at the moment though). I could sell my house here, buy a place in the UK for GBP250k cash and basically semi-retire on the rest - and I'm only 46. I know I could get electrical design work, might not be highly paid and part-time, but it would not matter as I would not need to earn much. I could then realise my ambition to go back to university to study history, and basically chill out. I have no great ambition to live in the UK though so we could live in France, Belgium, Portugal etc and I could do short term contract work in the UK or Australia.

Definitely food for thought.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:23 am
ABCDiamond

I guess the WA Govt could always have an expo in China luring the Chinese millionaires to buy our overpriced McMansions in Perth's NOR to take place of the Poms.
UK migrant numbers dropped 7 per cent for the year.

but...
New Zealanders increased 20%
India rose 10%
Chinese rose by 15%

Total immigration was 9% higher this year than last year.

Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:26 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

My mates are still working in UK, it's not as busy as it was but they are still doing OK, still going on holidays, interest rates are low so they have more money in their pockets at the end of the day.

If you are able to sell your house here, have no mortgage in UK and some money in the bank then perhaps that's the deal clincher. No mortgage means you'll be able to be able to live off less anyway.
A number of my mates in London have been made redundant (banking!). It really depends what industry you are in. IT at the moment isn't great at all.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
UK migrant numbers dropped 7 per cent for the year.

but...
New Zealanders increased 20%
India rose 10%
Chinese rose by 15%

Total immigration was 9% higher this year than last year.
Are the majority of Indian and Chinese migrants, students? Are there any stats on this? I can't see them bringing big wads of cash with them other than the Chinese millionaires who buy up our real estate over East.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I posted about this a few weeks ago. Everyone's situation is different, but in my situation and not boasting, I have a pretty high value house with no mortgage (paid it off) as well as some cash in the UK (earning no interest at the moment though). I could sell my house here, buy a place in the UK for GBP250k cash and basically semi-retire on the rest - and I'm only 46. I know I could get electrical design work, might not be highly paid and part-time, but it would not matter as I would not need to earn much. I could then realise my ambition to go back to university to study history, and basically chill out. I have no great ambition to live in the UK though so we could live in France, Belgium, Portugal etc and I could do short term contract work in the UK or Australia.

Nice situation to be in, to have a choice, not many people can say they have that these days and it's what we all work towards, to be financially independant.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:15 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice situation to be in, to have a choice, not many people can say they have that these days and it's what we all work towards, to be financially independant.
Not me, I couldn't give a shit about money.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

Are the majority of Indian and Chinese migrants, students? Are there any stats on this? I can't see them bringing big wads of cash with them other than the Chinese millionaires who buy up our real estate over East.
The Foreign Investment Review Board's 2007-2008 annual report, released in August 2009, showed real estate investment from overseas more than doubled to $45.5 billion from $21.4 billion the year in 2006-07.

When measuring sales in overall volume, only the British outranked the Chinese in sheer numbers, and both nations were well ahead of the rest.

Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It is a nice situation to be in, we are not yet financially independent but we are close to it. Everything we have is from our own endeavours - nobody has given us a thing. I know I don't like to discuss property on here but we made a killing on property investment in the SE of England about 5-10 years ago - and now we are seeing the benefits of taking a risk.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Mmm having read a few of your posts I think you would be quite a challenge to manage in the workplace. I certainly wouldn't give you a job.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by No 15
I certainly wouldn't give you a job.
Thank God for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.